Search found 794 matches

by Art Carlson
Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:41 am
Forum: Theory
Topic: Cusp Ion Plug
Replies: 59
Views: 11417

... yes, well, i dont see that it 'is' disputable. given the significant evidence available. as to data, i can SEE data, eg. in all the graphs of confinement times and density, etc on the secend link esp. now if anyone is suggesting that Bussard and his team, made them up, or that they cant draw a ...
by Art Carlson
Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:17 am
Forum: Theory
Topic: Cusp Ion Plug
Replies: 59
Views: 11417

... in addition, here: http://www.askmar.com/Fusion_files/Some%20Physics%20Considerations.pdf ... just to focus the argument, are there any equations/assumptions (germane to our current discourse - eg. eqn 35 on p17 of the second link, for Power loss through cusps) in either of these papers that ar...
by Art Carlson
Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:59 am
Forum: Theory
Topic: Cusp Ion Plug
Replies: 59
Views: 11417

gentelmen, however i find such intellectulal 'scrapping' entertaining (and please dont take that as an excuse to lay into me), surely the matters of ion/electron containment, losses and power balance, have already been well treated by Bussard himself, both theoretically and experimentally. vis: htt...
by Art Carlson
Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:46 am
Forum: News
Topic: Magneto-Inertial Fusion
Replies: 41
Views: 14290

Hmm, that is an interesting idea Chris. I like it. I wonder what the always critical Art Carlson has to say about it. He is very good at crunching the numbers. I would like to see what his opinion is on this. I only get the essences of everything, but dont have the time and understanding to get the...
by Art Carlson
Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:15 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: Electron thermalization time versus confinement time.
Replies: 28
Views: 4954

??? I said if the potential of the wall is more negative than the space potential near the throat of the cusp You say the magrid, which is more positive than the wall. where is the contradiction? The space potential near the throat of the cusp I was expecting to be slightly negative. I thought you ...
by Art Carlson
Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:30 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: Electron thermalization time versus confinement time.
Replies: 28
Views: 4954

???

I said
Art Carlson wrote:if the potential of the wall is more negative than the space potential near the throat of the cusp
You say
alexjrgreen wrote: I was expecting the wall to be at ground, the magrid to be at a positive potential
and (three times)
alexjrgreen wrote: the magrid, which is more positive than the wall.
where is the contradiction?
by Art Carlson
Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:09 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: Electron thermalization time versus confinement time.
Replies: 28
Views: 4954

if the potential of the wall is more negative than the space potential near the throat of the cusp I certainly wasn't expecting this to be true. Why do you suppose it? Because everybody says so? It's the basis of so many statements, both true and false, like electrons get turned around and recircul...
by Art Carlson
Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:03 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: The end of the world? Or the end of fossil fuels?
Replies: 15
Views: 4941

Stoney3K wrote:... any non-fused, low-energy ions that are scattered will cause no harm and stay in the core until they get recovered by the vacuum system, ...
taking with them the energy you invested in them with so much love and caring. Bzzzzz! You lose.
by Art Carlson
Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:14 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: Electron thermalization time versus confinement time.
Replies: 28
Views: 4954

Following the standard derivation, if the potential of the wall is more negative than the space potential near the throat of the cusp, there will be a "pre-sheath" potential drop in the plasma ball accelerating the ions to a speed near c_s = sqrt(kT_e/m_i) and reducing the density to about half the...
by Art Carlson
Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:03 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: Electron thermalization time versus confinement time.
Replies: 28
Views: 4954

I am arguing that the interaction of the electrons and ions bores a hole through the potential otherwise confining the ions, all the way from the plasma ball to the wall. How about showing us a picture? So far you haven't demonstrated that the ions feel anything other than a variable attraction to ...
by Art Carlson
Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:37 am
Forum: Theory
Topic: Electron thermalization time versus confinement time.
Replies: 28
Views: 4954

I don't know where your 3 MeV potential well comes from. From this calculation . The idea is that the thermalization rate drops rapidly with increasing temperature, but not rapidly enough to allow D-T fusion with non-Maxwellian electrons. How much does the shape of the potential well effect your co...
by Art Carlson
Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:00 am
Forum: Theory
Topic: Cusp Ion Plug
Replies: 59
Views: 11417

Are you referring to this post? I didn't respond to it at the time because I couldn't identify any content. Things you mention that you seem to think qualify as "flaws in the calculation" are cusp plugging oscillations, WB field geometry, and the force driving the non-ambipolar losses in a Polywell...
by Art Carlson
Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:45 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: Cusp Ion Plug
Replies: 59
Views: 11417

The shape is clearly going to be a ball with spikes, what seems to have been a point of argument is that the spikes have a fundamentally different structure. Maybe they would be just the same - a spike with a central core of higher negative charge, just like the sphere. Yes, that seems like it woul...
by Art Carlson
Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:41 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: Cusp Ion Plug
Replies: 59
Views: 11417

I think it's a mistake to assume local quasineutrality only ends at the wall. It's also possible it ends at the cusps, which therefore eject electrons because the electron drive is injecting them. This seems more likely given the limited amount we know about the WB machine results. I didn't assume ...
by Art Carlson
Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:38 pm
Forum: Theory
Topic: Electron thermalization time versus confinement time.
Replies: 28
Views: 4954

alexjrgreen wrote:The cusps are spherically symmetrical.

Doesn't that mean that the ions see a point negative charge in the centre, as indicated by Gauss's Law?
The cusps are not spherically symmetrical. They have a finite rotational symmetry.