Ignition Failed

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Ignition Failed

Post by MSimon »

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature ... ion_Failed

NNSA’s stated goal is no longer to achieve ignition but rather, by September 2015, to determine whether achieving it is even possible with NIF’s approach. At the same time, the agency has reduced the number of laser shots dedicated to ignition in favor of more weapons and basic science research.

<snip>

The NRC recommends that fusion scientists hedge their bets, calling for increased study of alternative laser and target designs. The Omega laser at the University of Rochester in New York, for example, is testing an approach to fire on the hydrogen pellet directly rather than on a hohlraum. Livermore officials had hoped that the rapid achievement of ignition would allow scientists and politicians to rally around NIF’s laser fusion approach; instead, resources are being spread around in a desperate attempt to find other promising approaches to imploding hydrogen fuel. “The fact is that we don’t have any predictive capability right now,” says Steve Cowley, a fusion physicist at Imperial College London who contributed to the NRC review. “Any progress is going to be a guess. But that’s why you take measurements: It allows you to understand what to do next.”

========================

So they are taking measurements in order to make better guesses. I guess that is better than guessing blindly.

In the mean time for a fraction of what has been spent on NIF we could get a full up Polywell and have a go/no go understanding in 5 years or so.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

mvanwink5

Re: Ignition Failed

Post by mvanwink5 »

Another lifelong government science project, a dream career maker. Hey, I understand it, a secure job for life... Bureaucrat's dream. Tokamak really set the gold standard.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

TheRadicalModerate

Post by TheRadicalModerate »

Is there a reason (other than bureaucratic inertia, if you'll pardon the expression under the circumstances) that NIF isn't fooling around with fast ignition?

It'll be interesting to see what comes out of Sandia's MagLIF experiment later on this year. That one looks promising, unlike NIF.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

mvanwink5 wrote:Another lifelong government science project, a dream career maker. Hey, I understand it, a secure job for life... Bureaucrat's dream. Tokamak really set the gold standard.
Yeah, though in this case it NEVER was about building an economic reactor. It always was about weapons. That was clear to most people familiar with the field from the start. But that is OK, government defense spending can never be wasteful enough.

easyBob

Post by easyBob »

In the mean time for a fraction of what has been spent on NIF we could get a full up Polywell and have a go/no go understanding in 5 years or so.
Any why would they want that? They make a good living off of other peoples money.

Sorry, I just paid taxes today (and estimated quarterly taxes too). I've gotten pretty sick of the parasites while I actually produce something that people demand, only to have it slowly taken away from me.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

easyBob wrote: Sorry, I just paid taxes today (and estimated quarterly taxes too). I've gotten pretty sick of the parasites while I actually produce something that people demand, only to have it slowly taken away from me.
I feel your pain. Have to do the same. So much for "only the rich have to pay taxes in the US". LOL. I now know that this is NOT true.