Helion Energy to demonstrate net electricity production by 2024

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Re: Helion Energy to demonstrate net electricity production by 2024

Post by Skipjack »

Yep, they are definitely prototyping a manufacturing plant for their future machines with Polaris. They have been experimenting with various ways to build the quartz tubes and capacitors. Quite a learning process there, from what I gather. Not just the actual manufacturing but also the supply chain.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Helion updated their news page with a blog section. We have seen the blog posts before but they are now finally accessible from the main site:
https://www.helionenergy.com/news/

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

mvanwink5 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 1:59 pm
Skipjack wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 5:13 pm
I have heard that being said by people from Helion before. It is interesting because it suggests that Trenta was already powerful enough for at least some theoretical net electricity, if it had had the equipment for it. My guess from D-T fusion, not D-He3.
Polaris will confirm whether their energy recovery works as expected. I am quite certain that it will.
IMO, the key Polaris goals are to develop, prove, actually make the manufacturing plant to produce commercial machines. Yes, Polaris with the larger diameter & over all size will need tuning, electronic power systems, etc, but Helion is hard at work developing *how to make these fusion machines* economically. For example, production of capacitors, large quartz vacuum cylinders, power supplies, etc. are not set up for a one off fusion machine, Helion is making a fusion machine manufacturing plant.

In other words, making a prototype fusion machine *manufacturing plant* is the real goal; Helion is steps ahead of any other fusion company, maybe by a decade? This is the behavior of a company that knows their machines will succeed commercially & are readying to go into production.
I agree that Helion is very clearly building up its manufacturing capability. But CFS is also doing the same at least concerning their HTS-magnets. Zap Energy announced last year that they bought capacitor manufacturing equipment, so they are also on a similar path. Until we have clear evidence of the fusion performance of the corresponding devices I would still hesitate to announce who is leading the race and by how much, because we still not know whether there will be unknown obstacles on the way to fusion power plants.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Polaris assembly begins!
Polaris formation section delivered to Ursa.
HelionFormationSectionDelivery.jpg
HelionFormationSectionDelivery.jpg (76.25 KiB) Viewed 432 times
https://x.com/Helion_Energy/status/1793787652111806488

usesbiggerwords

Post by usesbiggerwords »

This seems to confirm the discussion that Helion is not prototyping a fusion generator (though they are, obviously) so much as prototyping a fusion generator manufacturing system. It makes me wonder what they're not saying about the performance of Trenta.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

usesbiggerwords wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 2:40 pm
This seems to confirm the discussion that Helion is not prototyping a fusion generator (though they are, obviously) so much as prototyping a fusion generator manufacturing system. It makes me wonder what they're not saying about the performance of Trenta.
People also haven't noticed what they ARE saying, though sort of veiled...

But yes, there are also quite a few things Helion has not published about Trenta. After all, there were several campaigns with significant upgrades between them and they have only ever published the results from the first one.

And then there are things that they say, that most people don't even understand as significant. E.g. in one of their news letters, they mentioned in a short paragraph that they had increased the trapped flux by 25%. That 25% increase in flux alone equals an 80% increase in fusion output! And it did not even require any major upgrades to the machine! If anyone else managed to increase their fusion output by 80% just like that, they would be writing several papers about it and probably do a press release.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Helion already has 2 commercial power project contracts, I suppose that points to sufficient data supporting a commercial machine along with design parameters, such as the need for larger diameter machine used in Polaris, all derived from Trenta performance testing.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.