Primary Source of Polywell Information

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

This board is probably the best central source for news. There are 50 or 100 guys out there with accounts here who are all on the lookout for news. When someone finds something there are often competing posts. So I'd say the org is fairly efficient. Little of importance will be missed.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

hanelyp wrote:Polywell is short for polyhedral well.
Polyhedral Potential-well. :D

I think the name that got the most acceptance on these forums, other than Polywell, was the Bussard Fusion Reactor (BFR). (there is a thread in General about it from a year or so ago, iirc.)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

krenshala wrote:
Hey dudes, you're both WAY off topic for this off topic thread. Theis is silly season naming gaming. We kow what it really means, but that's no fun! :lol: :lol: :lol:

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

KitemanSA wrote:
krenshala wrote:
Hey dudes, you're both WAY off topic for this off topic thread. Theis is silly season naming gaming. We kow what it really means, but that's no fun! :lol: :lol: :lol:
But ... but ... we're disseminating vital information about the project here! :shock: :roll: :D

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

KitemanSA wrote:
Giorgio wrote: According to what logic should it be called Polywheels? {grammar corrected, ed.}
There are 6 torii, thus many wheels. Yeah, I know, silly season :!:
the first version of polywell were not toruses.

I searched the english dictionary, I didnt knew that WELL meant "source". I used to think of well as simply, well... a water well, with a bucket and such. English is not my main language. Sometimes, a few meanings may escape me.

The word polyhedral however has origins in greek, thus is almost the same in my language. Of course, since the prefix POLY alone means "many", it could be directly related to WELL, instead of being a shortening of Polyhedron.

EricF

Post by EricF »

Are those giant hose clamps wrapped around a couple of the magnets?

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Speaking of information- This picture in the above post looks like WB3 (WB4 had the 'doghouses').[edit- actually, it could also be WB2] This is the highest resolution picture (or at least the most enlarged) picture I've seen. The outside of the coils seem to be covered with a metal foil- sheet metal. The sides appear to be thicker plate. The burn marks near the interconnects- may show what was finally appreciated in WB6- the need for spacing. I do not see any burns on the ceramic feedthroughs between the magnets, so they are shielded by the metal edges, and / or the recirculation in this machine kept the electrons away from these more distant structures. What are the large copper wires (tubes?) that are partially shielded with a ceramic sleeve. Are they the current feed wires, tubes to carry gas from the 'gas puffers?

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

It is WB3.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

exactly, its the WB3 photo available in the Wikipedia article about the Polywell.