10KW LENR Demonstrator?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Axil

Post by Axil »

FYI: inquiring mines want to know…

From the patent and other places, I have seen claims of light element waste products in the ash that have been produced during the Rossi reaction.
There are other traces of elements in the used nickel, like Sulfur, Calcium Chlorine, Potassium. Apparently this could be an indication of some fission happening together with the fusion.
They claim to demonstrate production of lighter elements by the presence of zinc, sulfur, calcium, potassium, silicon, chlorine, copper.
Form W-L theory, one can deduce the “secret” catalectic components present in the Rossi process as aluminum.

In the periodic table, stating from aluminum and assenting in A order you find as follows:

13- Silicon (mentioned as ash)
14 - Phosphorus
15 – Sulfur (mentioned as ash)
16 – Chlorine (mentioned as ash)
17 – Argon (outgased ?)
18 – Potassium (mentioned as ash)
19 – Calcium (mentioned as ash)

This is consistent with the W-L theory rule for inverse beta decay in the carbon cycle A -> A + 1.

This implies specifically, Raney nickel. Raney nickel is a solid catalyst composed of fine grains of a nickel-aluminium alloy, used in many industrial processes. It was developed in 1926 by American engineer Murray Raney as an alternative catalyst for the hydrogenation of vegetable oils in industrial processes. More recently it is used as a heterogeneous catalyst in a variety of organic syntheses, most commonly for hydrogenation reactions.

Murray Raney graduated as a from the University of Kentucky in 1909. In 1915 he joined the Lookout Oil and Refining Company in Tennessee and was responsible for the installation of a electrolytic cell for the production of hydrogen which was used in the hydrogenation of vegetable oils. During that time the industry used a nickel catalyst prepared with Nickel(II) oxide.

Believing that better catalysts could be produced, around 1921 he started to perform independent research while still working for Lookout Oil. In 1924 a 1:1 Ni/Si alloy was produced, which after treatment with sodium hydroxide, was found to be five times more active than the best catalyst used in the hydrogenation of cottonseed oil

Subsequently, Raney produced a 1:1 Ni/Al alloy following a procedure similar to the one used for the nickel-silicon catalyst. He found that the resulting catalyst was even more active and filed a patent application in 1926. This is the preferred alloy composition for production of Raney nickel catalysts currently in use.

Following the development of Raney nickel, other alloy systems with aluminum were considered, of which the most notable include copper, ruthenium and cobalt

Further research showed that adding a small amount of a third metal to the binary alloy would promote the activity of the catalyst. Some widely used promoters are zinc, molybdenum, and chromium.

Properties

Macroscopically, Raney nickel is a finely-divided gray powder. Microscopically, each particle of this powder is a three-dimensional Mesh consisting of a semi-permeable barrier made of connected strands of metal, fiber, or other flexible/ductile material. This Mesh is similar to web or net in that it has many attached or woven strands with pores of irregular size and shape of which the vast majority are created during the leaching process. Raney nickel is notable for being thermally and structurally stable as well has having a large BET (Brunauer-Emmett-Teller ) surface area.. These properties are a direct result of the activation process and contribute to a relatively high catalytic activity.

During the metal foaming activation process, aluminum is leached out of the NiAl3 and Ni2Al3 phases that are present in the alloy, while most of the aluminum that remains does so in the form of NiAl. The removal of aluminum from some phases but not others is known as "selective leaching”.

Selective leaching, also called dealloying, demetalification, parting and selective corrosion, is a corrosion type in some solid solution alloys, when in suitable conditions a component of the alloys is preferentially leached from the material.

It has been shown that the NiAl phase provides the structural and thermal stability of the catalyst. As a result, the catalyst is quite resistant to decomposition ("breaking down", commonly known as "aging"). This resistance allows Raney nickel to be stored and reused for an extended period; however, fresh preparations are usually preferred for laboratory use. For this reason, commercial Raney nickel is available in both "active" and "inactive" forms.

The surface area is typically determined via a BET measurement using a gas that will be preferentially adsorbed on metallic surfaces, such as Hydrogen.

It has been shown that almost all the exposed area in a particle of the catalyst has nickel on its surface. Since nickel is the active metal of the catalyst, a large nickel surface area implies that there is a large surface available for reactions to occur simultaneously, which is reflected in an increased catalyst activity. Commercially available Raney nickel has an average nickel surface area of 100 square meters per gram of catalyst.

A high catalytic activity, coupled with the fact that hydrogen is absorbed within the pores of the catalyst during activation, makes Raney nickel a useful catalyst for many hydrogenation reactions. Its structural and thermal stability (i.e., the fact that it does not decompose at high temperatures) allows its use under a wide range of reaction conditions.

Additionally, Solubility of Raney nickel is negligible in most common laboratory solvents, with the exception of Mineral acid such as hydrochloric acid and its relatively high density (about 6.5 g/cm3) also facilitates its separation from a liquid phase after a reaction is completed.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

There is no patent for you to read. There is a patent application.

Do you hold shares in some LENR devices, or something? Why are you pushing it like a freshly converted evangelist?

Axil

Post by Axil »

chrismb wrote:There is no patent for you to read. There is a patent application.

Do you hold shares in some LENR devices, or something? Why are you pushing it like a freshly converted evangelist?
You ascribe motive within the purview of your own priorities.

What motivates me is not greed but fear in the folly of men. I have a fear that is forming in the back of my mind. I am interested in either confirming or discarding that fear through an in deep understanding of the Rossi process.

A scam is the least of my worries. Who really cares if some people lose money? What if this device works…Is it far more dangerous?

This approach to LNER technology may need to be stopped as too dangerous from the perspective of nuclear proliferation.

If aluminum can be transmuted to heavier elements, it may be possible to coat U238 with nickel and generate Pu239 at least.

If dangerous, can this be allowed to fall into the hands of bad people?

For example, like possible Aluminum transmutation, heavy radioactive alpha emitting elements of increasing A (The atomic number is equal to the number of protons in an atom's nucleus) could be fabricated for use in a dirty bomb.

94. plutonium, Pu,
95. americium, Am,
96. curium, Cm,
97. berkelium, Bk,
98. californium, Cf,

At this stage of your knowledge about the Rossi process, can you assure me that my fears are unfounded?

icarus

Post by icarus »

Thinking outside the box here:

Interesting that several indications from these reactions show that heat out decreases as temperature rises. This would support the BEC based theories where the percentage of BEC phase in the metal lattice occlusions is reduced as temperature increases.

If they hook-up a heat exchanger to the reaction cell and maintain an optimally lower temperature they may be able to sustain the reaction. Supposing, of course, that other factors like ash build-up, lattice contamination etc, do not come into play.

Kind of counter-intuitive to have a reaction that increases as temperature decreases though .... could be confounding quite a few researches.

Axil

Post by Axil »

icarus wrote:Thinking outside the box here:

Interesting that several indications from these reactions show that heat out decreases as temperature rises. This would support the BEC based theories where the percentage of BEC phase in the metal lattice occlusions is reduced as temperature increases.

If they hook-up a heat exchanger to the reaction cell and maintain an optimally lower temperature they may be able to sustain the reaction. Supposing, of course, that other factors like ash build-up, lattice contamination etc, do not come into play.

Kind of counter-intuitive to have a reaction that increases as temperature decreases though .... could be confounding quite a few researches.
IMHO, your outside the box thinking is sound here. Hydrides begin to sublime at about 600C to 700C. If increased pressure of hydrogen is applied to the system, the temperature threshold for hydride sublimation goes up.

His comment about the safety of the demo notwithstanding, in order to put his best foot forward, Rossi may have been running at a lower temperature to maximize steam production. Higher temperature steam would have reduced its volume.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Axil wrote:At this stage of your knowledge about the Rossi process, can you assure me that my fears are unfounded?
Yes, I can assure you of this.

You are discussing endothermic reactions, and so without high nuclear energy levels these isotopes cannot be manufactured, and if one had such high nuclear energies, or thermal neutrons, then that in itself would be the danger. If you were to be making enough neutrons to breed Pu, then it is already very dangerous and you are probably already operating a fission reactor [hence all the concern over anyone operating a fission reactor].

If the Rossi device, whatever it is, emits any radiation at all of any types known to be capable of breeding fissile materials, then I can assure you that it emits such a tiny fraction of its energy like this, that it would simply never be possible to run it at a high enough energy to breed any such materials. I can, quite certainly, assure you of this.

Axil

Post by Axil »

chrismb wrote:
Axil wrote:At this stage of your knowledge about the Rossi process, can you assure me that my fears are unfounded?
Yes, I can assure you of this.

You are discussing endothermic reactions, and so without high nuclear energy levels these isotopes cannot be manufactured, and if one had such high nuclear energies, or thermal neutrons, then that in itself would be the danger. If you were to be making enough neutrons to breed Pu, then it is already very dangerous and you are probably already operating a fission reactor [hence all the concern over anyone operating a fission reactor].

If the Rossi device, whatever it is, emits any radiation at all of any types known to be capable of breeding fissile materials, then I can assure you that it emits such a tiny fraction of its energy like this, that it would simply never be possible to run it at a high enough energy to breed any such materials. I can, quite certainly, assure you of this.
So sorry, please excuse me but I must respectfully disagree in the face of experimental results demonstrating the possibility of fission and transmutation of transuranic isotopes using nano-energy neutrons.

Please allow me to expand on this.

The following experiment shows that fission of Th232 is possible through the mediation of nano-energy neutrons as demonstrated by the generation of Cs137 as a fission product of Th232.

Initiation of nuclear reactions under laser irradiation of Au nano-particles in the presence of Thorium aqua-ions.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/0906.4268

Abstract
Initiation of nuclear reactions in Thorium nuclei is experimentally studied under laser exposure of Au nanoparticles suspended in the aqueous solution of Th(NO3)4 (232Th). The solutions are analyzed using either Atomic Absorption Spectrometry (AAS) or gamma-spectrometry in the range of gamma-photons energy from 0.06 to 1.5 MeV. Real-time acquisition of gamma-spectra of the probes is achieved using a portable scintillator -spectrometer. It is found that the reaction pathway depends in which water, either H2O or D2O, the laser exposure is carried out. Laser exposure at peak intensity of 1013 W/cm2 in D2O results in the decrease of probes activity of all elements of Th branching including that of 137Cs impurity. Exposure in H2O leads to the increase of activity of elements of Th branching as well as the one of the 137Cs impurity due to fission of Th nuclei. Saturation of the liquids (H2O or D2O) with gaseous H2 or D2, respectively, enhances the nuclear reactions under laser exposure allowing their excitation at peak intensity as low as 1010 W/cm2. Enhanced activity of the probe is observed after the end of laser exposure for several hours

In conclusion the researcher says
Further interpretation of the present results requires additional hypothesis and cannot be explained on the basis of known facts……… The mechanism of initiation of nuclear reactions requires further studies.

IMHO, these neutrons were generated by cavatation bubbles in water produced by laser beam irradiation of gold nano-particles.
In more detail, these cavatation bubbles have produced an entangled assemblage of coherent atomic hydrogen for which the Born-Oppenheimer approximation has broken down. This area of atomic hydrogen generates reverse beta decay that originates nano-energy neutrons. These neutrons increase the cross section of nuclear reactions including fission.
Last edited by Axil on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

chrismb wrote: Yes, I can assure you of this.

You are discussing endothermic reactions, and so without high nuclear energy levels these isotopes cannot be manufactured, and if one had such high nuclear energies, or thermal neutrons, then that in itself would be the danger.
I was under the impression that it had been determined that adding a proton to anything is exothermic.

Axil

Post by Axil »

This site is usually tolerate of out of the box options even though please be kind.

In the spirit of …If you have an infinite number of monkeys … etc

This Chinese inventor may have hit on thorium fission as a power source via cavitation.

Reference:

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory: ... Alternator

Phemax Technology's Plasmagnetic Alternator - Patent pending device allegedly generates electricity via plasma arc (Microsun) technology, initiated with low voltage, high current, high temperature, thermally conductive, thorium tungsten / graphite electrodes submerged in water. The resulting syngas runs a Phemax generator, which is said to have 5x amplification capability.

Phemax Technology of Taiwan may have stumbled onto a rudimentary form of cavatation based fission reactor but they don’t yet know how it works.

Here is how I think it could work.

Both the spark applied to the thorium electrode and the resultant production of cavitation bubble collapse caused by the spark may have produced an exothermic nuclear reaction as described in my previous post; maybe fission.

It produces it own fuel with an amplification factor of 5.

It is easy to test its function. Start it up and pull the power pug. It can’t run for long unless it is producing its own power.

Once the NRC finds out that it is nuclear in nature; fission, they will somehow kill it.

nferguso

Where is Wright factory?

Post by nferguso »

As a result of Glenn Curtiss' early success, and the backing of the Army, the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company was born, It became the largest aircraft manufacturer in the world during World War I and went public in 1916 with Curtiss as president. Curtiss had become the world's largest aviation company, employing 18,000 at its Buffalo facility and 3,000 at its Hammondsport, New York location. They produced 10,000 aircraft during World War I, more than 100 in a single week.
Where is the Wright brother’s plant located?
From wikipedia (topic Curtiss-Wright): "Curtiss-Wright came into existence 5 July 1929, the result of a merger of 12 companies associated with Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company of Buffalo, New York, and Wright Aeronautical of Dayton, Ohio..."

Axil

Re: Where is Wright factory?

Post by Axil »

nferguso wrote:
As a result of Glenn Curtiss' early success, and the backing of the Army, the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company was born, It became the largest aircraft manufacturer in the world during World War I and went public in 1916 with Curtiss as president. Curtiss had become the world's largest aviation company, employing 18,000 at its Buffalo facility and 3,000 at its Hammondsport, New York location. They produced 10,000 aircraft during World War I, more than 100 in a single week.
From wikipedia (topic Curtiss-Wright): "Curtiss-Wright came into existence 5 July 1929, the result of a merger of 12 companies associated with Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company of Buffalo, New York, and Wright Aeronautical of Dayton, Ohio..."
Your suggesting the humdrum of dreary fact leash the accent of artistic license.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

What motivates me is not greed but fear in the folly of men.
I have no need to fear the folly of men. I assume it.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Re: Where is Wright factory?

Post by MSimon »

Axil wrote:
nferguso wrote:
Your suggesting the humdrum of dreary fact leash the accent of artistic license.
You want to fly or just fall for a (short) while?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Here is the just pubblished official report of the Rossi-Focardi experiment by Dr. Levi. It's in English.

I didn't read it yet. Let's see if there is something interesting inside.

http://22passi.blogspot.com/2011/01/rep ... della.html

EDIT:
No breathtaking info inside. Food for toughts anyhow.

I keep my point that I will not really be convinced until a proper pubblic experiment is setted up.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

There is a key point included, and it bodes for very poor experimental technique that would mean the experiment needs to be repeated.

The reaction kept going even when the H was cut.

The 'reactor' had to be cooled down with water to stop it.

The question, then, is how much did the whole reactor weigh before and after experimentation?

The issue; if I have a nickel matrix already saturated with H2 before the experiment and that, by whatever means, it is reactive at 400C but does nothing at lower temp, then all I have to do is to raise the temp to 400C of this pre-saturated nickel and get heat out of it. No input H2 required.

The fact that this continued after the H2 was cut shows that saturation of the nickel can occur, and no such measurements were demonstrated beforehand.

(I do not believe for one moment that this was not a device that hadn't previously been operated with H2. It must've been 'commissioned'. We need to see a device 'pre-commissioning' and that has never seen any H2.)

The experiment should have begun by heating it all up to operating temp with the input power, then switching that input power off and introducing H2. If the reaction started before the H2 was piped in, then there is latent chemical energy in the apparatus.

Was this done, or is Axil Rossi going to go off on one again, raving about how magical this is and that I am somehow ignorant of basic scientific experimentation?