wired and nextbigfuture Oct 25 and 26

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Betruger
Posts: 2310
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 11:54 am

Post by Betruger »

I wager you know you're wrong.
Its the only place we can survive without machines to keep us alive.
Myopic.. And off topic.

pbelter
Posts: 184
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:52 am

Post by pbelter »

Shubedobedubopbopbedo wrote: As for belonging among the stars, if that were true life would have evolved in space. Factually, we belong on Earth. Its the only place we can survive without machines to keep us alive.
Well, well, well, we got ourselves a thelogian here. How abt this: We evolved to build machines.
Shubedobedubopbopbedo wrote: Humanity should rot.
We discuss science here, not a religion. If you had any decency you would stop putting any post on this site. There are plenty of religious sites to advertise your beliefs.
One more thing. To get more followers you should live by your beliefs, before you recommend them to others. "Humanity should rot" Heh.

MirariNefas
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:57 am

Post by MirariNefas »

Shubedobedubopbopbedo wrote: And fusion does NOT work. You people really are delusional.
Huh, can it be that you really don't know? Look, go check the wikipedia article on the sun. Then try hydrogen bombs. Also, here's an article you can read:http://www.physorg.com/news10806.html. Really, it works.

It's sad really. All I can think is that this is the fault of our public school system.

MirariNefas
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:57 am

Post by MirariNefas »

Shubedobedubopbopbedo wrote:
chrismb wrote:
MirariNefas wrote:doesn't mean there's an infinite number of barriers waiting to pop up the harder we look.
No. Just a few insurmountable ones, perhaps...

The universe isn't out to trick us, that is true. The universe is simply oblivious to our existence and gives us no sustenance. We must sieze what we can and ingeniously create what we will.

Whether we can always do all that we imagine we can do is philosophically and religiously [Genesis 11:6] debatable, but is surely not scientifically true.

WTF does that mean? Using twisted logic is a good sign you're having trouble finding a basis for your delusion.
The logic seems fine, actually. If you don't understand something, I'm sure we're all willing to clarify for you.
Shubedobedubopbopbedo wrote:There is a reason, IMO, there is so much space out there.
Great! I'd love to hear your humble opinion.
Shubedobedubopbopbedo wrote:It's so we'll fight it out amongst ourselves.
Huh? I don't follow at all. Space = fighting? Isn't it usually the reverse?
Shubedobedubopbopbedo wrote:And since that's what we do, then rightly so.
Anything we do is right? Hm. Okay, let's run with this for a second.
Shubedobedubopbopbedo wrote:Even if there was a way to travel to the stars, it shouldn't be built. Humanity should rot.
Wait, I thought you wanted us to go to the stars and duke it out? Why the change of heart?
Shubedobedubopbopbedo wrote:This universe is exactly the kind of universe for us.
Yes, it's a pretty good universe. Nobody is proposing we leave it. All anyone seriously wants to do is spread out a little more in a tiny corner of it. You do realize that the Earth alone is not a universe, right?

KitemanSA
Posts: 6114
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: OlyPen WA

Post by KitemanSA »

Pssst. If we ignore him, maybe he'll go away.

ltgbrown
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Belgium

Post by ltgbrown »

If we are not meant to travel among the stars, then it seems like an awful waste of space.

My "twisted logic."
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

Betruger
Posts: 2310
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 11:54 am

Post by Betruger »

KitemanSA wrote:Pssst. If we ignore him, maybe he'll go away.
The best way to get rid of a dirty boat salesman is to go along for a test ride on his swiss cheese boat and wait for his pitch when he gets wet. Shube's premise is bogus. Earthly vaccines and hygiene were already un-natural constructs, and Man himself is a machine of sorts. Give Man the blueprints to that machinery, and where we belong - according to Shube - will be anyone's guess...

As for being alive - 10,000 year trend shows a pretty sharp deviation most recently: life expectancy, avg wealth, etc. Shube's whole argument is built around coming to the conclusion that life is crap.

chrismb
Posts: 3161
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:00 pm

Post by chrismb »

Betruger wrote:Man himself is a machine of sorts.
Not sure it's relevant, but did you know that within the 'envelope' that is our skin, and all that is within that space, there are more non-human cells than human ones. Also, we would die without them. What, then, actually defines 'us'?

MirariNefas
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:57 am

Post by MirariNefas »

From an evolutionary perpective, you could say that we're really just the part of ourselves that reproduces. That is, the germline cells. The rest, human DNA or not, would all just be support machinery. People past the age of reproduction would be more support machinery for sheparding the germline cells of their relatives.

Giorgio
Posts: 2731
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:15 pm
Location: China, Italy

Post by Giorgio »

Shubedobedubopbopbedo wrote:As for belonging among the stars, if that were true life would have evolved in space. Factually, we belong on Earth. Its the only place we can survive without machines to keep us alive.
And who is actually telling you that life has not already evolved in space?
This presumption that everything is known and understood and nothing must be questioned is typical of that part of the human race that is in reality "afraid" to question his own existence and scared to look what lies outside his neighborhood.

This reminds me so much of the 13th century mentality...


Giorgio.

kurt9
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:14 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA

Post by kurt9 »

It usually does not occur to people like "Shubedobedubopbopbedo" that one of the principle motivations for space settlement on the part of people like myself is to get away from people like "Shubedobedubopbopbedo".

KitemanSA
Posts: 6114
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: OlyPen WA

Post by KitemanSA »

kurt9 wrote:It usually does not occur to people like "Shubedobedubopbopbedo" that one of the principle motivations for space settlement on the part of people like myself is to get away from people like "Shubedobedubopbopbedo".
Which, of course, makes you nasty and eeevvvviiiillll! :lol:

MirariNefas
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:57 am

Post by MirariNefas »

Ah, but remember that Shubedobedubopbopbedo wants us all to get busy with the fighting and duke it out. If you left him/her behind, he/she wouldn't be able to kill you. This is a great negative to Shubedobedubopbopbedo.

kurt9
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:14 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA

Post by kurt9 »

MirariNefas wrote:Ah, but remember that Shubedobedubopbopbedo wants us all to get busy with the fighting and duke it out. If you left him/her behind, he/she wouldn't be able to kill you. This is a great negative to Shubedobedubopbopbedo.
People who believe that the zero-sum approach is more moral seem to resent efforts to develop positive-sum solutions. Yet, they seem to willfully ignorant that zero-sum societies always end up with conflict and that the people who win the conflict are never the same kind of people who believe in the morality of such a zero-sum system.

I believe Stalin called such people "useful idiots".

passenger66
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:22 pm

Back to the first off-topic topic

Post by passenger66 »

"Yesterday's Guardian raised questions about whether oil reserves published in the past by the IEA have been inflated.

Key oil figures were distorted by US pressure, says whistleblower

The world is much closer to running out of oil than official estimates admit, according to a whistleblower at the International Energy Agency who claims it has been deliberately underplaying a looming shortage for fear of triggering panic buying."

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/5953

Post Reply