Black Hole Starship

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Black Hole Starship

Post by Diogenes »

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yeah, I dont know... You know maneuvering a black hole into position is not that easy a tast, I would assume.

clonan

Post by clonan »

Skipjack wrote:Yeah, I dont know... You know maneuvering a black hole into position is not that easy a tast, I would assume.

So build the engine around it once it is formed...

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

I remember hearing that black holes can hold a charge. Is this true? If so, there's your handling capability.

clonan

Post by clonan »

MirariNefas wrote:I remember hearing that black holes can hold a charge. Is this true? If so, there's your handling capability.
But a charge on a black hole will selectivly absorb the opposite charge from the Hawkins radiation and quickly neutralize the charge.

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

Wouldn't this mean that it would emit the like charge, then? You could capture that and feed it back in, I'd think. Though if you need to use the hawking radiation for thrust that would present a problem.

Stoney3K

Post by Stoney3K »

clonan wrote:
MirariNefas wrote:I remember hearing that black holes can hold a charge. Is this true? If so, there's your handling capability.
But a charge on a black hole will selectivly absorb the opposite charge from the Hawkins radiation and quickly neutralize the charge.
A charged black hole will also interact with a magnetic field. Although you will probably need to fly around it in circles to get it moving in a sensible direction! ;)
Because we can.

MirariNefas

Post by MirariNefas »

A charged black hole will also interact with a magnetic field.
Yes, that's what I was meaning. You can use like charges or a magnetic field to move it around and keep it positioned.

Anyway, if you need to let it emit hawking radiation for thrust, it will neutralize. If you're feeding it to keep it large, you could try to only feed it with protons or something (wouldn't work so well if you were feeding it with more lasers). Or you could just use charge to manipulate it until you've got it in some kind of stable configuration in the engine, and then let her rip.

Stoney3K

Post by Stoney3K »

Other than black hole radiation, which we study below, the only process we know of which is sufficiently energetic is matter-antimatter annihilation.
LOL, guess the Federation and the Romulans have been at each other's throats even in the 21st Century already.
Because we can.

Barry Kirk

Post by Barry Kirk »

OK I got to ask this question.

Don't forces such as the electromagnetic force operate by exchanging virtual particles. I think the particle used by the EM force is the photon.

Since photons cannot escape from a black hole, how can the EM force operate through the event horizon?

Stoney3K

Post by Stoney3K »

Barry Kirk wrote:OK I got to ask this question.

Don't forces such as the electromagnetic force operate by exchanging virtual particles. I think the particle used by the EM force is the photon.

Since photons cannot escape from a black hole, how can the EM force operate through the event horizon?
Maybe it's because they are caused by static fields. Which means f=0, and the photon energy would also be zero, and I have no clue as to the behavior of a mass-less photon.
Because we can.

rashudo

Post by rashudo »

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does the hawking radiation really provide so much energy that it will be easy to move the large amount of mass a black hole is?