Polywell In Europe Raising Funds

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Looks to be from the Tech Talk time.

Ah, those desperate long-ago days when WB-6 was unconfirmed, there was no money for WB-7, and WB-8 was not yet even a whispered rumor...

So, as long as we're in News, who thinks WB-9 will be attempted by the Navy?

rcain

Post by rcain »

...i'll give it 7:3 on. based on past recent history and the people involved.
i do think they'll extend purdah however. so we really need to find someone else doing more 'open source' work in order to feed our data habits.

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

alexjrgreen wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:I would be willing to donate some not-negligable bucks to simulations that would be good for teaching purposes, showing what is SUPPOSED to happen.
kcdodd has some code, Art has some supercomputer time (subject to small print, of course) and you've got the money. Sounds like a team.
kcdodd wrote:no i don't. hah. at least nothing groundbreaking. i'm just trying to stay in school right now.
icarus?
Ars artis est celare artem.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

TallDave wrote:Looks to be from the Tech Talk time.

Ah, those desperate long-ago days when WB-6 was unconfirmed, there was no money for WB-7, and WB-8 was not yet even a whispered rumor...

So, as long as we're in News, who thinks WB-9 will be attempted by the Navy?
The long ago days started with Google in Nov of 2006. About 3 years ago.

Funding was restored in August of 2007.

We will know in two years came in May of 2009 (IIRC).

The site - Created: November 24, 2008

About the time when WB-7 info was coming out.

====

I'm high on fanboy fumes so I'm going to say 90% likely that WB-9 gets funded.

My excuse: I think Nebel is very careful and his research at the limits was good for WB-9 (confirmation and further extension by WB-8).
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

I also think WB9 is likely. I don't know what the expectations and motives are, but I'm confident the Navy/ DOD do not want to lose control of the technology (again) unless it proves absolutely useless. So they will string along the research at low levels, and keep the details hidden untill such time as the the confidence* is very high AND other competeing intrests are tamed.
I just hope that there is some leadership at some point and it does not become a victum of an entrenched burocracy that is subservient to special intrests.

* Assumeing that it works.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Stoney3K

Post by Stoney3K »

alexjrgreen wrote:kcdodd has some code, Art has some supercomputer time (subject to small print, of course) and you've got the money. Sounds like a team.
I may even be able to negotiate for a potential experiment site, as the Physics faculty at the Eindhoven University of Technology (I'm an Electrical Engineering student there) is starting a new Nuclear Fusion group, with one of the goals being to construct a Fusor for experiments.

Most of the current research focus is on supporting ITER, but getting a Polywell group together might be possible given a good proposal. The contact for the Nuclear Fusion group in Eindhoven is professor Niek Lopez Cardoso, faculty of Physics.
Because we can.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

The site - Created: November 24, 2008
That's odd. Maybe the author's knowledge only extended to the situation in 2006. Polywell didn't need funding in 2008, of course.

OTOH, he has his own EU logo and may be looking to start a separate development path. I was sufficiently intrigued to join, and I see others have joined too.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

So they will string along the research at low levels, and keep the details hidden untill such time as the the confidence* is very high AND other competeing intrests are tamed.
Just to clarify, when I say WB-9, I mean the 100MW $200Mish reactor Nebel's team is tasked to deliver a design for as part of the WB-8 contract, identified as WB-9 in that contract.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

VC interest?

http://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewPro ... ANET-updtr

•Advisory board member at Nova Versa
•CEO at Panels United
•Vice President at FUSION ENERGY FOUNDATION

Stoney3K

Post by Stoney3K »

Hum, seems that the Netherlands starts to be quite a focal point here. I'm curious as to the number of Dutchies on this board...
Because we can.

rcain

Post by rcain »

do we know anything about Fusion Energy Foundation? - http://www.fusionenergyfoundation.org/ - they are very keen to ask for donations, but offer no news. doesnt seem particularly investor freindly.

Stoney3K

Post by Stoney3K »

rcain wrote:do we know anything about Fusion Energy Foundation? - http://www.fusionenergyfoundation.org/ - they are very keen to ask for donations, but offer no news. doesnt seem particularly investor freindly.
They could also be in the early stages, as the web site offers only basic information and a few contact details, but no hard projects yet.

The FEF has some connections with the TU/e (mentioned above), as one of the group leaders in Physics is part of the Committee of Recommendation.

I could request an extract from the Trade Register to find out the foundation's starting date, but my guess is that it's from this year or maybe 2008. The domain name's first registration is from February 2008, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Hey, at least it's got a promising picture of a Fusor on the front page! ;)
Because we can.

Art Carlson

Post by Art Carlson »

rcain wrote:do we know anything about Fusion Energy Foundation? - http://www.fusionenergyfoundation.org/ - they are very keen to ask for donations, but offer no news. doesnt seem particularly investor freindly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_Energy_Foundation : Lyndon LaRouche ... confrontational methods ... fraudulent fundraising ...

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

Twenty years ago?
Ars artis est celare artem.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

This seems to a different FEF than referred to in the wiki, as it's not based in New York and that group seems to have gone defunct in the 1980s.

But there's still plenty to be scared of:

http://www.fusionenergyfoundation.org/about-us

Uh oh... James Lovelock...

[backs away slowly]