More Helion Energy news....

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

crowberry
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: More Helion Energy news....

Postby crowberry » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:05 pm

D Tibbets
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby D Tibbets » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:49 am

40 Tesla fields. That seems very ambitious. Such intensities are a challenge for even small dedicated machines without a need for walls and plasma handling considerations.

https://nationalmaglab.org/news-events/ ... ing-magnet

What B field strengths have they worked with? What is the goal for a break even machine?

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:05 am

The last plans that I heard of, were that they wanted to get to a 10 tesla performance for the breakeven device to be tested this year.
A reactor that proves commercial energy gain would be a 50 Megawatt system built in 2019 and according to the last plans I read, would need only 12 tesla fields.
Anything beyond that would have been needed for their goals of miniaturization in the future.
I guess that the funding from ARPA-E was convenient at this point, even if it is not really needed for a full commercial reactor. It is also possible that they learned something from recent experiments that means they need higher field strengths for the commercial reactor.
This would be complete news to me, though and I somewhat doubt that to be the case.
It is also worth noting, that the fields only need to be pulsed, not continuous, which makes quite a difference.
According to their website, they have previously demonstrated compression fields greater than 100 Tesla.
I am not 100% sure, but I think their last experimental reactor, Grande achieved 20 Tesla fields in an experiment.

Maui

Postby Maui » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:02 am

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, but can someone explain what they mean when they say they plan to recapture the helium and reuse it (solving supply problems). Do they mean just the un-reacted He-3?

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:26 am

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:08 am

To error is human... and I'm very human.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:40 am

Dan, from what I understand, they want to remove the Tritium between pulses to avoid fusing it and instead separate it from the He3 and use the He3 in a self sustaining fuel cycle of D+D and D+He3. They want to keep the high energy neutrons in check to protect the reactor. They assume that the combined D+D and D+He3 fusion reactions will make the whole system economic enough to be competitive with coal. It wont be super effective, but good enough, especially due to the direct conversion that is possible with the charged fusion products.
This is what I read out of their patent posted here:
http://www.sumobrain.com/patents/wipo/A ... 3970A2.pdf

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Tue May 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Helion Energy is hiring a Plasma Diagnostic Scientist .

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:59 am

John Slough presented the status of Helion Energy at the 2016 ALPHA Annual Meeting with the talk Staged Magnetic Compression of FRC Targets to Fusion Conditions . The talk shows their latest device VENTI. They have also been working on simulations and show a comparison with experimental data. There is also an conceptual drawing of an assembly of fusion reactors to scale up the power.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:03 am

Yes, they are close :)

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:03 am

Last edited by Skipjack on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Munchausen

Postby Munchausen » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:56 pm

Good to see that they are getting their inventions protected.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:15 am

Got a little something for you guys :)
Helion has a new prototype. Looks shiny :)
HelionPrototype.jpg
HelionPrototype.jpg (177.45 KiB) Viewed 10114 times

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:05 am

Not Helion but about MSNW (Helion's parent so to speak). I missed this paper somehow earlier. It is about their Fusion Driven Rocket and updated plans as a result of the NIAC Phase II study. Interesting read regarding the results and issues they have encountered with the FDR concept. Still looks sound but requires more funding which has (to the best of my knowledge) not come about:
http://erps.spacegrant.org/uploads/imag ... 5-b-68.pdf

Return to “News”