More Helion Energy news....

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: More Helion Energy news....

Postby Skipjack » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:04 am

Helion is currently building their next test device. The next device after that is expected to demonstrated net energy gain. They have been moving through test builds rather quickly, but net gain demonstration will probably not happen before 2020.
https://www.geekwire.com/2018/commercia ... ectations/

mvanwink5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mvanwink5 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:17 am

Pressure is on, at least the top 3 discussed here seem to be neck and neck and I don't think being first is being taken lightly. One might even guess that sandbagging might be taking place on their public target dates.

But is is win-win for us which ever one is first.
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:18 pm

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:39 pm

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:25 pm

I hope you are right. One or more of these horses needs to finish the race.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:06 am

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:36 am

In the mean time, it appears the Chinese have been leveraging their access to ITER in an attempt to surge ahead on their own...

Why the U.S. government and industry doesn't wake the fook up is beyond me.
Fusion is going to happen, and who gets there first is going to be better positioned to exploit the coming Energy Age, where everything will change for the human race.

Idiots.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:24 pm

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:14 pm

TAE Copernicus is a huge machine, which surprises me, which shows my ignorance on the details. But Helion is going for small, 50 MWe, (net?) which is perfect for incremental installations for utilities, especially smaller one, co-ops, municipals, yet Helion seems to think utilities would not be interested in buying them. Does not add up to me. Further, the military would love a power plant that size for ships, no?

What am I missing with what is being said here?

Moreover, you Trump haters seem to have slammed doors, or am I also misreading previous comments?
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:26 pm

The article is interesting with the claim that Helion Energy would have a break even capable device ready this year. Experiments with a new machine will take some time just to understand it and achieve previous results. It would be really nice to have a scientific paper from Helion Energy. If they have progressed as far as they claim, surely they would have interesting data to publish by now. To be taken seriously they need to publish sooner or later.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:35 pm

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:43 pm

"He has no clue about fusion and even if he does, he clearly does not care."

None of the politicians or business people have a clue, and the second part of your comment is a reflection of your own imaginings. $$ US were accelerated into ITER, no doubt the money goes to US supplied components for the ITER. (Obama did not by the way).

I contend that Trump haters have not made any effort to make their case. Have you written???

I echo Crowberry's desire for updated published Helion data. Once Helion puts out published data for break even the field will break wide open. Do you really believe Helion is that close?? Tell me you really do and have good reason to.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:15 pm

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:26 pm

It is great that Helion Energy has been able to collect 30 MUSD over the past three years. Having their team expanded to 24 persons sounds also good. But unless they really publish something solid there could be a risk that the cash flow dries up if they encounter unexpected problems with the machine they are building.

I agree that the fusion race is starting to get hot and even more exciting to follow with several fusion relevant machines being built.

Return to “News”