More Helion Energy news....

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Re: More Helion Energy news....

Post by Giorgio »

Skipjack wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:11 pm
2. That divertor has a molybdenum-coated wall.
3. They have issues with high velocity plasmas causing arcing and erosion on that molybdemium coated wall.
I am actually surprised that they are still experimenting with molybdenum coated divertors, this is stuff from 1980's and 1990's.
There is already plenty of literature (especially from Alcator C-MOD Tokamak) that has shown that molybdenum coating of tiles suffer from much higher erosion rates from sputtering due to its inferior melting and evaporation temperatures in respect to Tungsten coated tiles.

I am really scratching my head now trying to understand why they are still pursuing that road.....
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

Skipjack

Re: More Helion Energy news....

Post by Skipjack »

Giorgio wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:38 am
Skipjack wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:11 pm
2. That divertor has a molybdenum-coated wall.
3. They have issues with high velocity plasmas causing arcing and erosion on that molybdemium coated wall.
I am actually surprised that they are still experimenting with molybdenum coated divertors, this is stuff from 1980's and 1990's.
There is already plenty of literature (especially from Alcator C-MOD Tokamak) that has shown that molybdenum coating of tiles suffer from much higher erosion rates from sputtering due to its inferior melting and evaporation temperatures in respect to Tungsten coated tiles.

I am really scratching my head now trying to understand why they are still pursuing that road.....
My guess:
Their reactor design is very different. So the reason and requirements for the divertor might be as well. Molybdenum is much cheaper than Tungsten. So they might have tried that one first to see if they could get away with it instead of Tungsten. I might be wrong, though.