Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

jcoady wrote:Are VC's more interested in social media than science and technology?

"Centers of innovation require investors funding smart people working on interesting things - and they invest in those they believe will make their funds the most money. And for Silicon Valley the investor flight to social media marks the beginning of the end of the era of venture capital-backed big ideas in science and technology."

http://steveblank.com/2012/05/21/why-fa ... con-valley
My personal view is that we'll se a reverse trend to that story soon. Social media peaked in 2010-11 and has been in the decline here in the U.S. over the last year. My backing statistic to my opinoin is the continued decline in U.S. subscribers to facebook from 2011 (starting in May of 11).

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

so... a bit back on topic, hopefully i wont get burnt at the stakes.

Where does it say in the J&A that the panel in the J&A is a recent one, and not one all the way back then when emc2 first got their contract?
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

"The experimental results to date were consistent with the underlying theoretical framework of the Polywell fusion concept and, in the opinion of the committee, merited continuation and expansion."

It is in section 5 of the J&A, hope that helps somewhat.

Best regards
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

mvanwink5 wrote:"The experimental results to date were consistent with the underlying theoretical framework of the Polywell fusion concept and, in the opinion of the committee, merited continuation and expansion."

Best regards
wow, just read it again, thank you very much, this is extremely good news. It's pretty much them saying, "wait for the good news."

Oh yeah, to get back on the topic we were on when we got off topic. Inventions... well, it depends on various things, such as how well the information is spread at the time of invention or discovery, how much is the invention or discovery used afterwards, did the invention or discovery get forgotten by the pages of history and sands of time?

I'm Chinese, so I know I'm biased. But there are historical recordings, which when you read them, it's almost like mythical recordings, the date was so ancient, anyways, there have been recordings of robotic birds that can fly off and come back in a day, recordings of seismographs (well it's more like a earthquake detection machine, the recording describe like a ball in a dragon's head, when the ball drops and whatnot, you would know a earthquake happened, back then, scientists apparently cared about art and wanted to make things look pretty, recordings, dont know if it's greatly exaggerated or not), etc in the 5k Chinese history.

Also, apparently the Chinese figured out a lot of astronomy stuff, a lot of algebra stuff, a lot of engineering stuff, but all of that was lost in the sands of time, the pages of history.

So what we mean by invented or discovered? We really mean who invented or discovered the basis of what we used today, not really (well we try, but come on, it's pointless) who invented or discovered whatever object or information first.

For all we know some aliens far far far away already figured all this math, all this engineering, all this science long long long ago. Maybe the inventor of television is actually some alien a billion years ago in the Andromeda galaxy.

So who invented the basis for our modern TV? Farnsworth, plain and simple. Now if someone got ideas from someone else, or whatever, or someone stole someone else's idea, that's different.

But I mean it's like this:
-Basis of modern?
-well recorded?
-did it get forgotten?

PS: seriously tho, the Chinese invented printing press and paper.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

polywellfan

Post by polywellfan »

Robthebob wrote:
mvanwink5 wrote:"The experimental results to date were consistent with the underlying theoretical framework of the Polywell fusion concept and, in the opinion of the committee, merited continuation and expansion."

Best regards
wow, just read it again, thank you very much, this is extremely good news. It's pretty much them saying, "wait for the good news."
That was irony, wasn't it?

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Other inventions forgotten, rediscovered:

The battery (and/or electroplating)
Concrete

The battery could be the root of alchemy, the idea that ancients could turn base metals to gold, but the technology was probably a deep secret and died with the family that knew it. Who knows what could have developed had the invention been public and allowed to flourish?

Concrete was a major industry in Roman times. It was largely reinvented in the 1800s. Slaked limestone and gypsum were still used but concrete was lost during the fall of the Roman Empire. When the engine of the civilization faltered, the knowledge died. There's a lesson it that for those who think our knowledge will automatically survive a fall of our culture.

The Polywell derives from a 1924 vacuum tube design that would have languished were it not for an insight by Farnsworth. Utilization of an invention is the difference between a footnote and an industry.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Don't forget the game changing idea of "waterproof concrete". Another Roman thing that was lost for quite a while. As I recall it was an accidental development that significantly changed things.
Last edited by ladajo on Wed May 23, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Back on topic.

I truly remain surprised that folks have not keyed more on the key statement that has been pointed too several times from the current J&A.
results to date were consistent with the underlying theoretical framework of the Polywell fusion concept
It really does say a lot.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

rcain

Post by rcain »

ladajo wrote:Back on topic.

I truly remain surprised that folks have not keyed more on the key statement that has been pointed too several times from the current J&A.
results to date were consistent with the underlying theoretical framework of the Polywell fusion concept
It really does say a lot.
.. though not a lot we hadn't already surmised.

comforting though.

god i hate the wait.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

and expansion.

and expansion.

and expansion.

and expansion.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

choff

Post by choff »

Yes, in the opinion of the committee, warranted continuation and expansion. If the Iranian polywell has 34 magnets that we can assume a be of a minimum practical size, that means a large radius machine. Probably a top secret race to develop a breakeven fusion reactor going on since WB7 confirmed theory.
CHoff

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Given the simplicity of Polywell fabrication (in contrast, perhaps, with the underlying theory) and the openess that was at one time characteristic of Polywell research, I have no doubt that there are several labs around the world already winding coils into toroidal metal casings and assembling them into polyhedra. The cat has left the bag.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

But will it hunt?
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

Feebleminded

Post by Feebleminded »

choff wrote:Yes, in the opinion of the committee, warranted continuation and expansion. If the Iranian polywell has 34 magnets that we can assume a be of a minimum practical size, that means a large radius machine. Probably a top secret race to develop a breakeven fusion reactor going on since WB7 confirmed theory.
Yet the IAEA seems blind to the potential of a Polywell or any IEC device to be installed practically anywhere in Iran for enrichment purposes. They keep looking for trigger testing and centrifuge facilities. Even in a current publication they seem completely blind to the potential of fusion neutron flux generators.

"Our analysis suggests that clandestine production of weapons materials using fusion research facilities can be considered a highly implausible scenario."
http://iopscience.iop.org/0029-5515/52/4/043004

choff

Post by choff »

Given the Chapter 6 information being published, how effective is the news blackout anymore, unless there's a much bigger top secret project under way. It might have taken a lot longer to get to the moon if there wasn't a race with the Soviets. Think of how much faster we could get to working fusion reactors with competition.
CHoff