Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

polywellfan

Post by polywellfan »

ScottL wrote:
polywellfan wrote:
ladajo wrote:So answer the question. Sorry why?
It seems to be this way.

It's the impression I've got from the last comments in this thread.
So a whole bunch of positive posts = bad news? haha ok.
They aren't so positive. No positive results, etc...

The positive news is, there aren't any (bad) news.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Trolling?
Either that, or cant read ;)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Actually there has been "bad" news. However the "bad" news has been indicative of an overall "positive" trend of progress and achievement.

The basic premise here is that ONR (and Navy) is going to be reluctant in the current fiscal environment to throw any good money after bad. In the case of Polywell, they have learned about issues, but (it appears) the overall total results and progress has been enough to convince ONR/Navy to plus up the project. Which is (apparent) good news.

There are certainly other points of view that can be taken. But, this is the one that I choose based on what I have seen and understand.

For a "Fan", you do not seem to put much thought and analysis into what you have seen or heard. I gather english is not your native language, and it would seem you are also young.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

polywellfan

Post by polywellfan »

Skipjack wrote:Trolling?
Either that, or cant read ;)
Maybe you have some prejudices after ScottL's comment ?

I know you want to have hope, that I can read out of the last posts here. But the fact is there aren't good news and they aren't paying 200 Million $ for WB-100 nor ordering at last for WB 8.1 so I think they are skeptical.
Last edited by polywellfan on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Smells like a troll pushing buttons.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

polywellfan

Post by polywellfan »

ladajo wrote: For a "Fan", you do not seem to put much thought and analysis into what you have seen or heard. I gather english is not your native language, and it would seem you are also young.
mvanwink5 wrote:Smells like a troll pushing buttons.
Because I don't make the same conclusions?

Please, I don't want to destroy your hope (and I never said there isn't hope anymore).

I think it is sad to see Polywell without substantial support by the navy at this moment.

Sorry

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

I don't think he was trying to troll.

Bussard might even agree with him, if 8.0 was promising enough for 8.1 why not skip it and WB-100 and go straight to production? Anything else would be "bad news".

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Smells like a troll to me. Defend him as you like. He is just here to push buttons.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Just a strange mindset is my bet.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

cuddihy

Post by cuddihy »

Betruger wrote:Just a strange mindset is my bet.
Then call my mindset strange as well. I have been following polywell since before Joe Strout stood up this forum. Although there's no evidence of complete failure, the absence of any actual positive evidence either makes the only *success* that EMC can talk about that of winning small (not increasingly large) contract extensions. This is not 'positive news' for the success of Polywell to achieve useful power levels.

The current fiscal environment notwithstanding, remember this is the same Navy that has funded Polywell from the beginning but is also dumb enough to fund clogging aircraft-type toilets for an aircraft carrier (GW) that literally makes its own water and uses less than 1% of its energy source to do that and everything else related to life support, in the name of *saving energy*. The same Navy that this summer for a photo-op paid $27 a gallon for "green" JP-5 that was <70% biofuel, (regular JP-5 is $4 a gallon).

Point being, examples of positive news for Polywell, even if the contract prevents them from releasing news, would be

*standup of an additional Polywell effort at NRL, SPAWAR, or DARPA
*transfer of the program to the Department of Energy
*transfer of the program to NAVSEA08
*a $15-30 million new contract for EMC

get it? Sometimes absence of certain kinds of evidence is itself evidence.

The fact that it remains at low low levels and at the fringes of Naval research (and nowhere actually near the propulsion arms of the Navy) says that its technological maturity and confidence has not greatly advanced since the first contract, becuase if it had, one of those things would be happening, and rapidly.
Tom.Cuddihy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Faith is the foundation of reason.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

500 successful shots.
scaling seem to be according to plan.
better ion injectors needed.
funding for ion injectors received.
WB 8.1 already has funding in place so there is no need to see an additional funding effort in place.
By EMC2 own request they only need 4.7 million to test WB 8.1 so no need for a large funding effort.
No need to transfer to any other department until this contract expires.
While there has been no eureka moments lately in the past few years this seem to be good science plodding steady along until it reaches a stopping point or completion of project.
It seem we are on the hurry up and wait train of any navair project. As a contractor I have experienced this time and time again. And as a contractor dealing with navair I have this setting over my desk
http://www.talatorre.com/tao-wp/wp-cont ... artoon.jpg

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

paperburn1 wrote: And as a contractor dealing with navair I have this setting over my desk
http://www.talatorre.com/tao-wp/wp-cont ... artoon.jpg
:lol:

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

I thought we've been through this many times before.

-Bussard was trying to keep it low key so not to attract trouble (whether or not this is some massive paranoia, small paranoia or no paranoia... I personally dont know.)

-Navy did the whole spend a lot of money on failed concepts... dont want public embarrassment again.

etc.

I finally got in grad school, going to Albuquerque to work under Mark Gilmore, when I talked to him about doing related work with polywell, this is what he said:

-emc2, due to contract limitations, cannot support students anymore... though good investment, cus those students built things for them and got hired to look after the things they built.
-Those two students, they were both Dr. Gilmore's students.
-I'm not allowed to build a machine and do experiments, cost too much money, I'll probably have to become a theorist and do simulations (fml really)
-He can probably find people at Los Alamos who's worked with bussard and emc2, are still keeping a close eye on the project and willing to help a clueless grad student do some simulations.

So from my perspective, I'm not too worried. Oh yeah, also that whole J&A made it pretty obvious that they're doing fine.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I think it is sad to see Polywell without substantial support by the navy at this moment.
So you base your entire argument that because they are not executing 8.1 today, that the program is failing?

Are you out to lunch mentally or what?
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

polywellfan

Post by polywellfan »

ladajo wrote:
So you base your entire argument that because they are not executing 8.1 today, that the program is failing?

Are you out to lunch mentally or what?
Why so agressive?