First steps towards a Polywell fusion device prototype

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Hey... am I hallucinating or did they build their own little Polywell over in Sydney?!?
N Krall reports observing potential wells as deep as the energy of the e-gun
Too early for us to make comparisons to their findings
Our e-gun currents are a factor of 1000 smaller than the e-gun used by Krall

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Great find, and great news too!
The more people/pubblic institutions works on this technology the more data we will get to better understand if the polywell is indeed the technological breaktrought that we all belive is.

Nik

It's in PowerPoint !!

Post by Nik »

D'uh, it's in PowerPoint. It's as accessible as a 'busy' doc from the latest version of Word...

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

The Navy funding of the EMC2 effort is creating incentives for other groups to research the same technology.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

TallDave wrote:Hey... am I hallucinating or did they build their own little Polywell over in Sydney?!?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

awe, isnt it a cute little polyweeeell!
So small and already in a nuclear lab all by itself...

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

But it's got teeth! :twisted:

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

I'm curious... that white stuff isn't nylon, is it???
But if it were ceramic, that would be cool... wouldn't that solve the problem of electrons running into metal parts?

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Looks like teflon to me. OK for vacuum, but is a bit permeable and will retain some gasses until they've all outgassed. I use PEEK where I can but is pricey.

Diogenes

Re: First steps towards a Polywell fusion device prototype

Post by Diogenes »

TallDave wrote:That sounds promising.

http://fti.neep.wisc.edu/static/TALKS/1 ... tthewc.ppt

It's very interesting that they went to the trouble of building this. I wonder why they couldn't get a better vacuum chamber than a bell jar ?

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

chrismb wrote:Looks like teflon to me. OK for vacuum, but is a bit permeable and will retain some gasses until they've all outgassed. I use PEEK where I can but is pricey.
In the presence of plasma, wouldn't teflon burn up & throw junk into the vacuum?

The teflon-insulated wire in our setup gets very cruddy.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

JohnP wrote:
chrismb wrote:Looks like teflon to me. OK for vacuum, but is a bit permeable and will retain some gasses until they've all outgassed. I use PEEK where I can but is pricey.
In the presence of plasma, wouldn't teflon burn up & throw junk into the vacuum?

The teflon-insulated wire in our setup gets very cruddy.
Not necessarily (density, flux, etc), but, yeah, I'd not stick it where it would come into contact with plasma/ion stuff.

If it is teflon then what this might be is a magnetic field tester to see what the field levels/properties are. If they have/are expecting a rarerefied environment with very light ionisation, teflon might do.

But it's just guesswork that it's teflon/mag. field tester, so I'll not venture any more speculations.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

A Polywell Corvette motor! All I ask is 370KW (500 HP).

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Gee, I would already be happy with a normal 66 KW car engine, you know for the every day comuting and all that.
Same thing again for the electricity in my house ;)