Sun Catalytix

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

chrismb

Re: Wet seals for town gas

Post by chrismb »

Nik wrote: So, although Hydrogen can iggle and wiggle through a tightly bolted joint, it could not get through wet-lagged, but otherwise sloppy joint.
//or maybe H2 has a tighter range of mixtures in which it is combustible in that way, and leaked away unnoticed. Dunno, just a comment - but seeing as H2 is the smallest moleculte you can get then it should be the one that leaks the most easily.

It leaks so easily that most metals just look porous to it, and as the H2 leaks through it collects in pockets, causing embrittlement.

Warthog

Re: Hydrogen 'Fraidy Cats

Post by Warthog »

chrismb wrote: So you're telling me if you type in "CalTech" "hydrogen" and/or "Eiler" then you get nothing!!??

gee... research skills, eh!?
Try "soil acidification" "elemental hydrogen", which is what it appeared you were talking about. And this is the first time on this forum that the word "Eiler" has shown up, which is a "slight" help. Was it REALLY all that painful for you to actually give out some relevant information? <p>

But on reading the press release I still say baloney, because the likelihood of much, if any, of molecular hydrogen reaching the stratosphere unreacted is zero. There IS no similarity to chlorofluorocarbons, which are highly stable until they reach a point high enough for photodecomposition to occur. Hydrogen and oxygen are two of the most co-reactive species around.

Here we have another case of some folks scribbling a few calculations on an envelope, and then shouting "the sky is gonna fall" based on a math model. But we should send them a ton of grant money to "study the issue".

chrismb

Re: Hydrogen 'Fraidy Cats

Post by chrismb »

Warthog wrote:
chrismb wrote: So you're telling me if you type in "CalTech" "hydrogen" and/or "Eiler" then you get nothing!!??

gee... research skills, eh!?
Try "soil acidification" "elemental hydrogen", which is what it appeared you were talking about. And this is the first time on this forum that the word "Eiler" has shown up, which is a "slight" help. Was it REALLY all that painful for you to actually give out some relevant information?
Did you read page 1 of this thread?::
chrismb wrote:
Art Carlson wrote: Do you know more about atmospheric chemistry than I do? (It wouldn't be difficult!)
No. But a chap called John Eiler at Caltech knows more than both of us.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

chrismb wrote:
MSimon wrote: We must do something about the nuts.
D'you mean peanuts? Peanuts aren't nuts, but are legumes.

[...or are you talking about me and other bonkers forum posters :wink: ]
Ah. You are smarter than you ordinarily appear. I think a factor of 10^10 will make it all much clearer.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.