Chemists warming to Cold Fusion.

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Gallium wrote:A quick wikipedia on the issue brings up the reason why there seems to be contrasting views.

The radiation hormesis hypothesis shows "substantial cancer rate reduction between 50 and 123 Bq per cubic meter".

The british study indicates action is needed in homes containing greater than 200 Bq per cubic meter.
How are these contrasting views? This seems the very definition of "Radiation Hormesis".

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Here in Manassas, the radon problem suddenly became an issue when the city adopted a code standard to minimize wet basements. They mandated "French drains" below the concrete slab of basements, with these drains emptying into a sump tank indoors. Thus they mandated the perfect mechanism for collecting radon emitted from the ground straight into the house.

The newest homes have the sump sealed and vented outdoors, and the remedy for the houses with the problem is to rig such a vent.

How serious is it? Over clean soil, pretty much zero. Over a rich uranium deposit, slow death, supposedly worse than smoking several packs a day of cigarettes. There is also a huge economic impact, because a house with the problem is essentially impossible to sell. And believe me, nobody here buys without having the air tested.

Yes, radon is an inert gas with a very short half-life. That allows it to get promptly out of the soil almost instantly after it is produced by decay. Once inside the house, it decays to longer-lived daughters, so the actual health risk is from atoms of the daughters that cling to dust and go straight into the lungs.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Ahh, the good old days of temperature inversions at in the basements at NRF/INEL. Radon alert, Radon Alert, Radon Alert...
A nostalgia moment for me...sorry...

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

We have a spare ampifier up on a shelf that I've been meaning to exploit to drive some tests, a sort of op-amp with attitude called a BOP. I needed some technical information on it, so I Googled it this afternoon.

The first page of hits turned up several references to a study of anomolous heat production with hydrogen and palladium electrodes.

On the second page of hits was a project on a Hall thruster.

Durn, what I had in mind doing with it was so mundane!

BenTC

Post by BenTC »

Tom Ligon wrote:Durn, what I had in mind doing with it was so mundane!
or you could do this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCHPo3EA7oE (check out from 1:45 on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v0c0Al5X0g
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Kewl! That experiment reminds me so much of the appearance of the surface of the Sun!

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

I was disappointed to learn the Sun is basically a big compost heap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

Helius

Post by Helius »

TallDave wrote:I was disappointed to learn the Sun is basically a big compost heap.

It's funny that a regular joe won't believe you. The ratio of the surface area to the volume is wide. How may cubic inches per square inch of sun? Gotta be about a KingKongGillian. (1000 Mothrillian) 10**6 Godzillian.

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

TallDave wrote:I was disappointed to learn the Sun is basically a big compost heap.

The proton-proton fusion reaction takes a very long time to complete (about 1 billion years). The average power density is quite low, although a star makes up for it with massive volume.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

thank God it is only a compost heap! If it were thermo-neuclar weapon power density... well... I guess it would make a hyper-Nova look small, no?
Last edited by KitemanSA on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Ah, yes, but it is a vibrating compost heap!

The parallels between the appearance of the surface of the sun and that corn starch slurry experiment are striking. I've read for a decade or two about the studies on sound waves passing thru the sun, and that experiment has me wondering if some prominences might be due to similar effects.

And will I ever be able to pass a compost heap again without thinking about this? Sheesh!

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

Tom, don't forget the issue of radon created by coal fly ash used as filler in concrete foundations. The radionuclide content of fly ash is well documented but congress still allows the coal industry to sell the stuff for use in concrete and other landfill uses. Then people wonder why 'hot spots' and radon problems pop up.

Generally the naturally occuring isotopes of radon (particularly those resulting from natural uranium decay) don't last long enough to be a problem (seconds to minutes generally). Its the radon resulting from decay of other isotopes that have longer half lives. The public keeps getting told its due to ground deposits and not the fly ash in their foundations in order to avoid a massive economy bankrupting class action.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Tom Ligon wrote: The parallels between the appearance of the surface of the sun and that corn starch slurry experiment are striking.
That is the first time I've seen that aspect of oobleck. I've just known if for its piezo-rheologic (dilatant) properties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oobleck

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

kurt9 wrote:

The proton-proton fusion reaction takes a very long time to complete (about 1 billion years). The average power density is quite low, although a star makes up for it with massive volume.
Good thing for us, since it took us 4 billion years to get started.

It's funny, the DOE advanced energy lab that originally showed cold fusion no longer exists. This late minimal vindication must be cold comfort to those involved (npi). No wonder ONR is so paranoid about data release.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

The thing about Radon exposure is that it tends to be those of a slightly higher social standing who are exposed, the main source of this exposure being from granite. Not many people can afford granite kitchen surfaces and a lot of the statistics will also come from areas where the main building material was traditionally granite.
Hmnmm, would life really be worth living without my granite counters?

I used to stop by Home Depot every weekend and lust over the Blue Pearl. Finally got them when I built my new place.

Now I'm curious, I'll have to see how much a radon detector is.