A nuanced approach to EMC2

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

What I'm wondering is if they spent some money on building a delay line to allow for longer more constant pulses?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

He did say they were getting time domain information from WB-7, for whatever that's worth.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

TonyS

Post by TonyS »

Having followed this topic (e.g. what EMC2 and Rick Nebel owe everyone in terms of information) since the start, I commend TomClarke for a well reasoned approach.

In addition, to all those who believe or feel that we have some 'right' to this information, I would point you towards another, very successful operation - Dick Rutan and Scales Composites. I had the opportunities of a lifetime to sit at Oshkosh EAA on the ground, next to homebuilts of his design and listen to Mr. Rutan discuss composite materials and aircraft design. One thing I've noticed over the years, Mr. Rutan and S.C. keep a VERY tight watch on what they say. Witness the process on SSOne and SSTwo.

To me, it appears that Rick Nebel and EMC2 are following this same model - very sensible given all the hot air and vaporware that has surrounded our search for fusion power. There may be other issues e.g. the Navy, as well.

And YES, I'm as eager for results as anyone, and I believe that we have some grounds in hope for success - time and experiments will tell.
More progress has been made by bending metal than any other method...

ltgbrown

Post by ltgbrown »

Well put and thanks for stating what you have stated, Tom and Billh.

As for why to construct WB-8; $200 million is a lot of money to spend on something that I think we all agree we, nor Rick and company, do not KNOW will work. Do we know (caveat on do we really know anything about WB-8) what the configuration of the magrid in WB-8 is going to be?

R/ Polywell Fusion addict.
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"