Lawaranceville E-Newsletter

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

zapkitty

Re: Lawaranceville E-Newsletter

Post by zapkitty »

They put up a maintenance notice on the ffs org site and I'm working on the problem itself.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

I dunno.

focusfusion.org - down
fpgeneration.com - gone
Paul Koloc's site - gone
emc2fusion.org - gone
talk-polywell.org - no load 2 or 3 out of 10 attempts

I see a disturbing pattern evolving.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Well, at least the Tri Alpha website remains unaffected.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

Ivy Matt wrote:Well, at least the Tri Alpha website remains unaffected.
... that was mean :)

FF site and forums upgraded and online although new forum regs remain disabled.

zbarlici

Post by zbarlici »

DeltaV wrote:I dunno.

focusfusion.org - down
fpgeneration.com - gone
Paul Koloc's site - gone
emc2fusion.org - gone
talk-polywell.org - no load 2 or 3 out of 10 attempts

I see a disturbing pattern evolving.

No way in hell this is just a coincidence. Absolutely no reason for emc2fusion to be down for so long. You can build a new site offline and then just replace it when the new one is ready.

Better make a complete backup of talk-polywell. Anybody with a know how on this site should consider it

Edit. Hmm. Only admins can do it apparently. http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/php ... backup.htm

How about passing along some copies? The forum is already on the www after all, should be no reason to hesitate

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

zbarlici wrote:
DeltaV wrote: I see a disturbing pattern evolving.
No way in hell this is just a coincidence.
Correct... but perhaps not for the reasons that you may think.

Never attribute to malice what can be ascribed to ignorance, indifference and generic human stupidity.

Do the elites responsible for the power situation take maximum advantage of that stupidity?

Hell yes.
zbarlici wrote:How about passing along some copies? The forum is already on the www after all, should be no reason to hesitate
The forum is stored as a database and includes private information such as personal details and login data so distributing a direct copy of it would be a no-go.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

zbarlici wrote:No way in hell this is just a coincidence. Absolutely no reason for emc2fusion to be down for so long.
In fact the oppositeis true. There has been no reason for the EMC2Fusion site to be "up" for the past 3 years or there abouts. Remember, EMC2Fusion.ORG was and is NOT EMC2 Inc. With no reason to exist there is no reason for a site.

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

Perhaps the reason for these internet sites going away is because the people being hind them are too busy doing the real work of developing fusion power itself and, hence, do not have time to maintain a website for information or PR purposes alone. Or they may be developing proprietary advantage, in which case they may not want to draw attention to themselves right now.

JohnFul

Post by JohnFul »

The site is archived regularly and will be available long after it goes dark.... http://web.archive.org/web/201307231819 ... /index.php

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

The LPP report for July 15, 2013 can be downloaded here.

Topics covered include:

LPP at Google Solve for X Fusion Brainstorming conference: Still leading the field

Moving the goal posts closer: quantum “herding” may allow net energy with lower density requirements

Monolithic cathode planned to achieve plasma purity, higher densities

Also, the "Fusion Energy Flow Chart" Sankey diagram used in the Google Solve for X talk can be found here.

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Hyperbolic headlines may attract the clicks, but they leave a bitter aftertaste. I prefer this headline:

LPP makes experimental results data public

Although that may be slightly hyperbolic as well. It seems the data are available upon request.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

LPP has conducted an external review by Robert L. Hirsch Stephen O. Dean, Gerald L. Kulcinski and Dennis Papadopoulos.
The LPP summary can be seen here:
http://www.lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.c ... &Itemid=90

LPP wants the review to be circulated:
Download the full Review Committee Evaluation here. While the report is marked proprietary to LPP, we encourage you to share it--Please consider our posting it here as written permission!
The review itself can be found here
http://www.lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.c ... 8_2013.pdf

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Interesting review. Ignition with P-B11 is desirable, in DPF, and in point 4, seems to be a goal exclusive to DPF. How does that apply to FRC efforts? And , remember that ignition is not a requirement for proposed P-B11 Polywells.

That smaller scales is desirable, might be related to density ^2 relationships to the fusion rate. If you can compress a smaller starting volume to a proportionately greater density, the fusion rate will be higher than a larger starting volume/ particle number situation. I guess that this is consistent with the limited fusion yields of a few MW of power associated with DPF type of machines. The yield might be increased progressively as the machine size is decreased, but only to the limits of 100 % burn up of the fuel and of course vaporizing the machine.

Heavier gasses compress better in the pinch. I guess this may be related to the momentum of the particles and may actually be a benefit for pB11 over D-D. Perhaps it is enough to overcome some of the cross section disadvantages of the pB11 reaction.

I thought that in the DPF the electrons was in thermal equilibrium with the ions. The saving grace in the DPF is the claimed quantum magnetic effects at huge B fields that limits Bremsstruhlung radiation. The direct conversion scheme for the x-rays may help achieve a net positive useful energy balance, but perhaps is unrelated to the ability to drive the system to ignition conditions .

In the Polywell the electrons are cold- but only in a spacial perspective. In the core where the ion density is greatest the electrons are slow/ cold, on the edge the electrons are hot relative to the local ions (but there are fewer ions to interact with). The average temperature of the ions and electrons is the same. It is the density difference between the ions and electrons at any given radius and electron temperature that leads to net lower Bremsstruhlung radiation in relation to the fusion driving ion core density. Hot electrons drive Bremsstruhlung but only if they interact with ions. The electrons are hot on the edge, but the ion interactions are less . It is a consequence of the potential well combined with the spherical geometry. The ions converge towards the center. The higher speed leads to decreased numbers of particles (ions) per unit area per unit of time if convergence is ignored. But with convergence this difference is overwhelmed by the convergence of these ions to a central core. This consideration is probably required for successful pB11 fusion in the Polywell. Apparently this is not so in the DPF.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.