10KW LENR Demonstrator?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

parallel

Post by parallel »

Some more questions and answers at Ny Technik. Some are repeats.

From this:
“Rossi: Capital: I want not money from anybody until the plants have started up to demonstrate they maintain the guarantees. I want all the risks on me. This of course makes the beginning slow, but I want not to put on risk the money which is not mine.”

Perhaps chrismb and skipjack want to add liar to their description of Eng. Rossi?

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

parallel wrote:Some more questions and answers at Ny Technik. Some are repeats.

From this:
“Rossi: Capital: I want not money from anybody until the plants have started up to demonstrate they maintain the guarantees. I want all the risks on me. This of course makes the beginning slow, but I want not to put on risk the money which is not mine.”

Perhaps chrismb and skipjack want to add liar to their description of Eng. Rossi?
I have given no description of this guy. Why would I? That would be an ad hominem attack, which I would find reprehensible.

Kahuna

Post by Kahuna »

Andrea Rossi was a guest on Coast to Coast AM with George Noory on March 23. He appeared alongside guest Sterling Allan and answered questions about his energy catalyzer (e-cat technology). Some of the topics covered include his business plan (a power plant is going to be installed in Greece later this year, with components of that plant being built in Florida “as we are speaking”), financing (Rossi is putting only his own money into this venture — no external investors are involved) some ingredients of the E-cat (nickel and hydrogen), the costs of the technology (1 cent per KW/hr) and the reason why he is involved in this project (he wants to help mankind).
http://www.freeenergytimes.com/2011/03/ ... available/

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

This Ni-H fusion of Rossi's is an interesting thing and I'm half-convinced that it is real. I will not be fully convinced until his 1 MW plant is up and running and he is manufacturing 300,000 of these generators per year.

I mostly ignored the whole Pons and Fleishman fiasco when it first broke in spring of '89. I thought the whole thing was bogus. The first time I though seriously about LENR was in 1996 when I heard about the Patterson cell, which turned out to (mostly) not work. The Patterson cell attracted my attention because it claimed to use beads that had Ni thin-film sputtered on to them and I happen to be developing thin-films using sputtering process at the time. I did some research and called some people.

The papers I read and people I talked to convinced me that, if LENR are real, that is is a surface or near-surface effect, and that there was no way it could be anything like D-D fusion. I wanted to do the experiment using Nickel in nano-particle form. As this was 1996, nano-particle Nickel did not exist. So, I dropped it and that was that.

until recently, the entire field had always focused on doing Deuterium in Palladium work in wet electrochemical cells, and I always thought this was not real at all.

If Ni-H fusion is real AND its a surface reaction (like I'm certain of if the effect is real) the E-Cat is the proper design to make it work. Nano-powder Nickel is essential because it maximizes the surface to volume ratio of the Nickel, thus, facilitating loading of the Hydrogen into the Nickel lattice. I don't know about the proprietary catalysts because which ones you use depend on which theory you think is correct. If its Widom-Larson theory, you use one catalyst. Rossi claims to have different theory.

Rossi's design concept makes sense to me if the underlying phenomenon is real. Rossi's commercialization strategy strikes me as a sensible one as well, given that he is having problems getting the patent protection he needs to allow for open independent replication by other groups. Until he can get this protection, it makes sense for him to keep certain details (like the catalysts) proprietary. That he is using mostly his own money to commercialize this generator suggests to me that he is not running a scam. He could be deluded or he could be real, but I think it unlikely he is a conman.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

kurt9 wrote:I will not be fully convinced until his 1 MW plant is up and running and he is manufacturing 300,000 of these generators per year.
So 299,999 wouldn't do it? The man got STANDARDS! :lol:

Axil

Post by Axil »

The following speculation is offered as a springboard for discussion as regards to the chemical and physical processes that underlie the Rossi reactor. This is another attempt to connect the dots.

Some information from Piantelli is more revealing than the info so far provided by Rossi as follows:

From the article “Rossi and Focardi LENR Device: Probably Real, With Credit to Piantelli” as follows:
The future of the Ni-H energy work, Piantelli explained, is all about atomic deposition of elements. To this end, the heart of the new laboratory features a clean room and machine that he calls "Knudsen," which is used to deposit thin films by thermal evaporation and surface preparation.

"This is the heart of the problem," Piantelli said. "The surface treatment on the nickel rod is the secret; it's fundamental."

Actually, there are more secrets, he said. He didn't mind photographs being taken of anything in the lab. However, he said the real secrets are in his head - that is, the process of the surface preparation and what he's learned of this art in the last 19 years.

Piantelli said that he now has the ability to look at the samples before the experiments begin and predict whether the material will work. He said that a special annealing furnace that the Piantelli-Focardi group now has is an essential part of the materials preparation process.
Speculation on what could be going on here.

Nickel(II) oxide (NiO) can be fabricated so that the planes of oxygen and nickel stack on each other causing the formation of a capacitor where two equivalent layers of opposite charge densities alternate normal to the surface, with an interlayer spacing R1.

NiO can be prepared by multiple methods. Upon heating above 400 °C, nickel powder reacts with oxygen to give NiO.

In a rock salt like crystal structure, each repeated crystal unit is separated by a distance of R2 and bears a dipole moment density. Oxygen being electronegative has an abundance of negative charge. As a result, the electrostatic potential increases monotonically across the system by a fixed amount per double layer.

When properly terminated, the voltage on the surface of the material is large, typically of the order of several tens of electron volts per layer in an ionic material. The total dipole moment of N bilayers is proportional to the slab thickness, and the electrostatic energy amount grows very large, even for thin films or nano-particles.

In other words, when truncated along the [1 1 1] direction, rock-salt oxides like NiO exhibit alternating planes of metal2+ and oxygen2_ ions to create a Type-3 polar surface.

In a type 3 polar surface of nickel oxide along the [1 1 1] direction, the charge density is non zero and the dipole moment in the repeating unit perpendicular to the surface, respectively is illustrated as follows:

NNNNNNNNNNNNN -- R1
OOOOOOOOOOOOO --
R2
NNNNNNNNNNNNN -- R1
OOOOOOOOOOOOO --
R2
NNNNNNNNNNNNN-- R1
OOOOOOOOOOOOO --

When so configured, nickel oxide provides a huge work function which attracts hydrogen ions and electro-statically glues them to the surface of the NiO with a greater force far more effectively that for any one pure metallic element.

This large accumulation of electrostatic force is usually unstable and causes distortions and breakdowns on the polar face of the crystal but if a way has been found to somehow stabilize this polar surface of the Oxide using fine nanopowder, then the electrostatic force might remain largely undiminished.

In the small dimensions of nanopowder, polar surfaces of oxides have been made to stabilize electrostatically.

Such strong electrostatic charge potential might help attract and pack hydrogen into other forms of transition metal Oxide compounds which forms the surface veneer of the a core and shell nanopowder.

The next step is annealing (remember that annealing is an important step in the Focardi process) the Nickel oxide sub-layer in a pure oxygen atmosphere to produce a cover of porous X2O3(where X is a high temperature transition metal). This compound is colored other than that opposed to the green of NiO.

Note: I think that the X was Nickel for Piantelli and upgraded to Iron for Rossi as explained below.

Packing of hydrogen is JOB ONE in the Rossi process:
Edmund Storms: Rossi hit upon this somewhat by accident. He was using a nickel catalyst to explore ways of making a fuel by combining hydrogen and carbon monoxide and apparently, observed quite by accident, that his [?????] was making extra energy. So then he explored it from that point of view and, apparently, over a year or two, amplified the effect.

He’s exploring the gas loading area of the field. This is also a region, a method used in the heavy water, or the heavy hydrogen, system. But in this case, it was light hydrogen, ordinary hydrogen and nickel and what happens is quite amazing.

You create the right conditions in the nickel, and he has a secret method for doing that, and all you do is add hydrogen to it and it makes huge amounts of energy based upon a nuclear reaction.”
Note: High temperature NiO has been studied as a way to break up vegetable fat into carbon monoxide and hydrogen.

The role of X2O3 and metalized hydrogen

What the function of the X2O3 does is absorb hydrogen is vast amounts by packing the hydrogen atoms into a vast number of countless holes and defects in the crystal structure of this X2O3 oxide compound.

This stuff has so many holes (crystal defects) that it can be used as a semiconductor acting as a solid state diode.

The hydrogen atoms pack into these holes in vast numbers to exceed 100 hydrogen atoms by number per hole. The atomic packing is so dense and the electrostatic force exerted by the NiO is so great that the hydrogen degenerates into an ultra-dense hydrogen H(-1) form entangled as a fermionic condensate. A fermionic condensate is a superfluid phase formed by fermionic particles. It is closely related to the Bose–Einstein condensate, a superfluid phase formed by bosonic atoms (deuterium) under similar conditions (aka cold fusion).

Hydrogen permeation of metals as a path to metalized hydrogen
It is well known that hydrogen can permeate to a remarkable extent various ordinary metals under conditions of ordinary pressure. In other cases it is possible that the hydrogen literally alloys itself with the metal (somewhat analogous to mercury amalgam formation). Certainly it is known that many metals remain metallic (e.g., palladium) after absorbing hydrogen

Doing the first test, .25 grams of hydrogen was loaded into one gram of nickel. That is an enormous amount of hydrogen to pack into a very small quantity of nickel.

Therefore the secret process enables the massive packing of large amounts of hydrogen into any one of many different types of materials. Such dence packing indicate the formation of metalized hydrogen.

In detail, this is how such packing may be done:

Clusters of condensed hydrogen (Rydberg matter) of densities up to 10e29 atoms per cubic centimeter are packed into pores of solid oxide metal crystals were confirmed from time-of flight mass spectrometry measurements in experiments.

When applied to the crystal lattices of metal oxide micro and/or nano particles, a cathode material with an ultra dense packing of hydrogen might be prepared.

The ratio of hydrogen to the host metal oxide atoms might be pushed to as high as 10 to 1 or more. In contrast to gases, the appearance of ultrahigh density clusters packed within the crystal defects in the lattice structure of various solid metal oxides were observed in several experiments, where such configurations of very high density hydrogen states could be detected from SQUID measurements of magnetic response and conductivity (Lipson et al., 2005), indicating a special state of hydrogen with metallic properties. These high density clusters have a long life (Miley et al., 2009).

Hundreds of atoms of hydrogen can be packed into each crystal defect of the metal oxide as Rydberg matter. Furthermore, the densities of defects in the metal oxide may be extremely large such that average distance between Rydberg clusters amount to about 10 atoms or closer (in subsequent on-the-fly packing) in the host lattice.

Unlike the Bose–Einstein condensates, fermionic condensates are formed using fermions instead of bosons. When mechanical vibrations in the crystal lattice are produced, during the heating of the metal lattice the fermions in the hydrogen join up to form cooper pairs which then enables the formation of the fermionic condensate.

Remember, Cooper pairs provide the enabling mechanism of superconnectivity in a Mott insulator (see below)

In some fraction of this densely packed hydrogen, an atomic inversion of the hydrogen atom pairs then occurs. This is caused by a transfer of angular momentum and kinetic energy from the electron pair to the protons under the influence of the vibrations of the crystal lattice when heat is applied to initiate the reaction.

Such heating of the nickel powder is required to initiate the Rossi reaction. As described below, Mott isolation phase transition is also enabled and optimized by increasing the distance between atomic layers of oxygen and nickel as well as increasing all atomic distances. This lattice heating also transfers kinetic energy to the trapped hydrogen increasing its pressure until its transitions to a metalized state.

The protons orbit each electron in the copper electron pair which greatly decreased the atomic size and increases the density of the degenerate hydrogen. (H(-1) is 130,000 times denser than protium H(1))

The electrons in a pair are not necessarily close together; because the interaction is long range, paired electrons may still be many hundreds of nanometers apart. This distance is usually greater than the average interelectron distance; so many Cooper pairs can occupy the same space. Electrons have spin1/2, so they are fermions, but a Cooper pair is a composite boson as its total spin is integer (0 or 1).

In metalized hydrogen, the electrons are unbound and behave like the conduction electrons in a metal. In liquid metallic hydrogen, protons do not have lattice ordering; rather, it is a liquid system of protons and electrons.

The uncertainty principle states that the more you know about the position of a particle, the less you know of it's momentum. With degenerate matter, since the position of the subatomic particles is compressed and packed in, we know a lot about their position - and thus their momentum becomes unpredictable. Added by entanglement and the accumulation of kinetic energy from the lattice, the more compressed the hydrogen become, the more erratically its constituent subatomic particles move - rather than being a solid, degenerate matter acts like a cold version of plasma. The pressure buildup is so intense, the atoms stop being atoms, and the nucleus of the former hydrogen atoms breaks apart into it's constituent protons, which then break apart into their constituent sub-particles (quarks and gluons), which themselves start behaving abnormally.

Furthermore, in the condensate, all the orbiting protons are entangled which means they share the same quantum mechanical state. Hydrogen in this state forms Rydberg matter.

Deuterium impurities in the hydrogen will make formation of a fermionic condensate impossible. This is why a small percentage (2% to 3%) of deuterium will kill the Rossi reaction.

Piantelli said that he can look at his samples before the experiments begin and predict whether the material will work because the samples will appear black (Ni2O3 cover) instead of green (NiO).

Form a Piantelli interview describing an experimental meltdown:

Piantelli didn’t know how hot the experiment had gotten before he killed it because the monitor eventually blacked out. However, the metal thermocouples inside the cell melted. This told him that the temperature exceeded 1450 C. Understandably, he was angry because these experiments take a long time to run and he had to abandon it prematurely.
This indicates to me that Piantelli and Rossi are using the oxide of nickel which has a higher melting temperature than pure nickel metal(1450 C).

There has been a rumor that NiO is not the secret catalyst. I discount this unless Rossi himself has denied it.

Nickel Oxide NiO(II) - Melting point is 1955 °C

Nickel Oxide (III) - Ni2O3 - Melting point: 600°C (decomposes with loss of O2) doping with calcium(or some other element) might improve this decomposition temperature.

The low decomposition temperature of Ni2O3 suggests that the X2O3 oxide requires a high temperature replacement where X can be any number of other transition metals.

As informed by experimental results, Rossi switched from nickel to Iron since Iron has a higher temperature tolerance.

Iron has shone to have the ability to produce an Oxide (F2O3) with a tremendous capacity to absorb hydrogen. This Iron Oxide can be doped with calcium or potassium to increase the formation of holes where hydrogen can be absorbed and confined in huge amounts.

From a Rossi Q&A
Jonas L: Will your company supply with the nickel powder that is needed or will there be many different suppliers?

Rossi: We will supply, because the Ni has to be treated in a proprietary way.

Per: Have you studied any other potential reactions besides Ni-H?
Rossi: Yes, we tried many combinations((tens of thousands)), but Ni-H is the best solution
Rossi states in his patent that copper can replace nickel.

This tells me that the proprietary treatment of the material which can be comprised of any number of many different elements is the heart of the Rossi secret.

Besides the classic Nickel Oxide prototypical Mott insulator, many transition metal oxides form Mott insulators. Among the most notable is Copper Oxide of superconductivity fame. According to the patent, copper can replace nickel as the catalyst, so one of the requirements of the Rossi catalyst might be generalized to a requirement for a Mott insulator as the core of the nano-particle. Many transition metals can form Mott insulators.

In addition, many transition metals can form X2O3 oxides.

The metal group capable of forming MOTT insulator Oxides includes Li, Be, C, Na, Mg, Al, K, Ca, Sc, Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ga, Rb, Sr, Y, Zr, Nb, Mo, Tc, Ru, Rh, Pd, Ag, Cd, In, Sn, Sb, Cs, Ba, La, Hf, Ta, W, Re, Os, Ir, Pt, Au, Hg, Pb, Bi, Po, Ce, Pr, Nd, Sm, Eu, Gd, Tb, Dy, Ho, Er, Tm, Yb, Lu, Th, U, Np, and Pu.
Last edited by Axil on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

Axil's speculation is quite interesting here.

I think the reason why "cold fusion" has been such a denigrated field that has not lead to anything until now is because the majority of researchers in the field wasted their time on wet electro-chemistry with Palladium and Deuterium in the mistaken belief that this was classic D-D fusion. It was clear to me from reading papers as early as 1996 that this could not possibly be the case and that this kind of electro-chemistry was a complete waste of time.

I attended a particle beam conference in fall of 1997 where the attendees turned out to be a lot of ex-fusion (plasma fusion) researchers. I asked them what they thought about "cold fusion". To my surprise, most of them told me they thought the phenomenon was real, but that it could not possibly be D-D fusion such as the cold fusion people were claiming.

The X2O3 speculation here is interesting. Clearly the packing of H into the matrix is necessary for the reaction. This is the reason why I always thought nano-particle form of the Ni was so vital to the reaction. There was no nano-particle materials as well as a useful hypothesis like Widom-Larson theory in 1997.

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

Sounds good.
But there is a little problem ,something fishy.
The said "we tried many combinations, but Ni-H is the best solution (tens of thousands)"?
in a few years thy probably not keep up with tens of thousands experiments.

Kahuna

Post by Kahuna »

Axil,

I'm not remotley qualified to critique your theory, but I thought I would mention a couple of observations from reporting that may support (or not) your theory (you be the judge).

It has been mentioned by Rossi and others that the entire "Secret Sauce" is in the Ni Powder (plus catalyst(s)). Just add standard (light) H and heat and you can get the reaction going.

Also mentioned is that Ni Purity is very important. In this latest (Coast-To-Coast) interview, Rossi mentioned that a 96 year old was doing the Ni Powder preparation. Presumably, this is because a special skill-set is required to prepare the powder.

Finally, it is interesting that evidently only a small portion of the Ni is consumed in the reaction and the rest is recyclable into fresh fuel. This is presumably true even after a six-month fuel charge has been spent.

For what its worth, many attribute the lack of consistency in LENR experiment results to the variability in the metal lattice employed. Some have advocated nano engineered material to enhance the consistency of results. Clearly, the Rossi Ni powder preparation addresses this issue successfully, even though only a small amount of the Ni appears to actually host the reaction.

Axil

Post by Axil »

Kahuna wrote:Axil,

I'm not remotley qualified to critique your theory, but I thought I would mention a couple of observations from reporting that may support (or not) your theory (you be the judge).

It has been mentioned by Rossi and others that the entire "Secret Sauce" is in the Ni Powder (plus catalyst(s)). Just add standard (light) H and heat and you can get the reaction going.

Also mentioned is that Ni Purity is very important. In this latest (Coast-To-Coast) interview, Rossi mentioned that a 96 year old was doing the Ni Powder preparation. Presumably, this is because a special skill-set is required to prepare the powder.

Finally, it is interesting that evidently only a small portion of the Ni is consumed in the reaction and the rest is recyclable into fresh fuel. This is presumably true even after a six-month fuel charge has been spent.

For what its worth, many attribute the lack of consistency in LENR experiment results to the variability in the metal lattice employed. Some have advocated nano engineered material to enhance the consistency of results. Clearly, the Rossi Ni powder preparation addresses this issue successfully, even though only a small amount of the Ni appears to actually host the reaction.

It follows from my speculation; the NiO must be very pure to maintain the Mott insulator where there is minimal leakage of electrons caused by doping from impurities. This doping would destroy the electrostatic attraction of hydrogen to the surface of the nano-particle.

The nuclear reaction does not happen deep inside that Mott layer, but only in or very close to the X2O3 surface layer and this includes a thin section of outer NiO layers.
Since many elements can form X2O3 compounds, contamination of this surface layer does not stop the Rossi reaction. As much as 10%, of the nickel can be consumed before the reaction deteriorates. The inner core NiO layers must retain purity to sustain a minimum work function(electrostatic attraction) to retain viability.

The nuclear reaction

The vibrations of the crystal lattice pump kinetic energy into the metallic hydrogen constrained by the crystal defects which increases the kinetic energy of the hydrogen to a point where is can overcome the nuclear repulsion of the nickel, oxygen, iron, and/or their subsequent fusion products, aka ash. The reaction becomes self sustaining when nuclear heat derived from fusion feeds the kinetic energy requirements of metalized hydrogen to sustain the reaction.

If you remember, there was a significant amount of cobalt (A=27) in the ash which might come from the fusion of iron(A=26).

In the periodic table, stating from oxygen and assenting in A (atomic number) order you find as follows:

8 - Oxygen
9 - Fluorine(captured to form fluorides)
10 - Neon (outgased ?)
11 - Sodium
12 - Magnesium
13- Silicon (mentioned as ash)
14 - Phosphorus
15 – Sulfur (mentioned as ash)
16 – Chlorine (mentioned as ash)
17 – Argon (outgased ?)
18 – Potassium (mentioned as ash)
19 – Calcium (mentioned as ash)

Since fusion will stop at certain discontinuities in the fusion element reaction chain caused by the out-gassing of the noble gases: Neon and Argon; lead to the speculation that (11 – Sodium), and (18 – Potassium (mentioned as ash)) are doping additives to the X2O3 oxide.

icarus

Post by icarus »

The world's future energy source depends on the health of a 96 year old who is the only guy that can mix ultra pure powders?

I hope they train someone else in this back art.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The world's future energy source depends on the health of a 96 year old who is the only guy that can mix ultra pure powders?

I hope they train someone else in this back art.
Yeah, I found that pretty hillarious too...
He is probably going to share his secret on his death bed.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

The main question is: Will he live until october next? :roll:

Kahuna

Post by Kahuna »

Axil,

I'm curious as to what you think the reaction control mechanism is under your theory.

The reactor only has two variable inputs after the Ni compund is prepared and inserted, H pressure (2 to 20 bar) and heat. Rossi has stated that the reaction could be self-sustaining (no heat application required after ignition) but that for saftey sake, he has chosen a configuration that requires ongoing low-level heat input.

The continuous heat appears to be the main control mechanism as Levi reports that in the 18 test that the H bottle valve was closed after the initial charge and very little H was consumed after that.

If Rossi is using variable heat below some level (at which the reaction becomes self-sustaining), how does this comport with your theory.

Axil

Post by Axil »

Kahuna wrote:Axil,

I'm curious as to what you think the reaction control mechanism is under your theory.

The reactor only has two variable inputs after the Ni compund is prepared and inserted, H pressure (2 to 20 bar) and heat. Rossi has stated that the reaction could be self-sustaining (no heat application required after ignition) but that for saftey sake, he has chosen a configuration that requires ongoing low-level heat input.

The continuous heat appears to be the main control mechanism as Levi reports that in the 18 test that the H bottle valve was closed after the initial charge and very little H was consumed after that.

If Rossi is using variable heat below some level (at which the reaction becomes self-sustaining), how does this comport with your theory.
The Cat-E system is sensitive to the amount of hydrogen packed into the tube that holds the catalyst. From experiments Rossi must have determined that one gram of catalyst supported the proper amount of hydrogen storage as safe; that is, the amount of hydrogen that wound not produce a meltdown.

To be safe, the Cat-E system must be sub-critical so that at no time does the reaction run wild.

Being sub-critical, as the ash builds up, the reaction is not as efficient and the control box must supply more electrical resistive heating to keep the heat output constant.

After a time, the catalyst must become fully saturated with hydrogen. Over time, as the hydrogen storage volume goes up, the electrical resistive heat can come down.

The electrical resistive heat that is applied to the lattice of the catalytic powder injects kinetic energy into the stored hydrogen which then produces fusion of the hydrogen with the surrounding lattice material that is confining it.

If more catalyst was used (2 grams ?) the reaction tube would fail at the melting point (decomposition) of Fe2O3 (1566C). Having lost its oxygen content, the catalyst would have become burnt out and permanently non-functional.

I don’t think that Rossi can dynamically control the amount of hydrogen that the catalyst will absorb. He limits the amount of hydrogen used in the reaction by controlling the amount of catalyst he puts in the reaction tube to just one gram.

My theory does not allow for a negative feed back mechanism that is now universally common in modern nuclear power systems. Fail-safe passive reaction control would be the next major break-thought for Cat-E technology.

PS: One test that I would be interested in: stop the flow of cooling water and see if the Cat-E melts down. If this test fails, the Cat-E is not ready for prime time.