10KW LENR Demonstrator?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Axil wrote:
You forgot that you have a LIMITED amount of H inside the chamber.
The hydrogen inside is not even enough to stoichiometrically complete the NiO reduction if the 40 gr. of material inside the chamber was all NiO.
We are talking miligrams of NiO here.
So, now we have milligrams of NiO.
Ok, I will play along your lines just for the fun of it.

How do you get to 10% of transmuted NiO to Cu (that means 4 grams!) if you only have milligrams of it inside the chamber?
Last edited by Giorgio on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raphael

Post by raphael »

chrismb wrote:Raphael, I hope you recognise this forum is about polywell fusion.

I suppose it is inevitable that it gets hijacked for other questionable schemes that also claim fusion, but just to point this out that this thread is neither news nor related to polywell.
Chris, thank you for your comment and guidance. I've always had the impression that this forum was fairly "big-tent" in character but maybe I'm wrong.

I do agree with you regarding what's questionable but then again, maybe that old saying is really true. You know, the one about how the only real certainties in life are death and taxes...
"As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden." Chauncey Gardiner

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Yes, it seems pretty 'free-form', doesn't it. Please excuse me just throwing in the occasional reminder what it is meant to be about, though (and you happening to be the one to duck - nothing personal)!

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

Giorgio wrote:
AcesHigh wrote:well, I dont like Rossi for more personal reasons. His last name... bad memories from 1982. :x
Well, good memories for me :D
he should be called Andrea Baggio! :)

nah, forget it. Two titles in 1994 wouldnt replace the pain of the magnificent 1982 side losing it to Italy :(

back to topic now ;)

Axil

Inductive heating

Post by Axil »

Fellow posters, please check this for errors as follows:

The current producing the inductive heating will flow primarily on the outside surface of the stainless steel reaction vessel (RV) wall due to the skin effect. Little or a reduced current will flow on the inside surface of the RV wall. No magnetic field will exist on the inside of the RV where the hydrogen is pressurized.

The magnetic field lines will be parallel to the circumference of the RV cylinder causing the heating current to flow along the skin of the RV. This is prescribed by the right hand rule.

There will be a large negative electrostatic field produced by the flowing electrons which form the inductive heating current. This negative current charge will attract the positive hydrogen ions into the oxygen vacancies on the nickel oxide powder lying on the inside surface of the RV wall.

This attractive force will supplement the force exerted by the electronegative oxygen atoms within the NiO at or very near the inner surface of the RV wall.

At startup, the induced current will be substantial at about 10 amps.

The electrostatic force will be large since the force goes as the inverse square of the thickness of the RV wall; the thinner the wall the more the force. (The wall is about 30 thousandth of an inch?)

chrismb

Re: Inductive heating

Post by chrismb »

The current producing the inductive heating will flow primarily on the outside surface of the stainless steel reaction vessel (RV) wall due to the skin effect.
No. Skin effect is an RF behaviour. Low frequency (mains) or DC will not produce skin effect.
Little or a reduced current will flow on the inside surface of the RV wall.
No. The wall, as a conductor, will distribute the current flux equally (assuming DC or low freq mains, as above). But the current doesn't look like it is being passed through the reactor walls itself, so the point is 'not even wrong'.
No magnetic field will exist on the inside of the RV where the hydrogen is pressurized.
There will always be some mag field, if a current is flowing nearby without a magnetic material between them.
The magnetic field lines will be parallel to the circumference of the RV cylinder causing the heating current to flow along the skin of the RV.This is prescribed by the right hand rule.
The heating current flows due to Gauss' law - suck electrons out of one end of a conductor, and they will flow into the other end, if you put electrons there. It's called a 'circuit'. No 'heating current' passes through the chamber walls, though. There would be a low resistance coil that takes the current, and heats up.
There will be a large negative electrostatic field produced by the flowing electrons which form the inductive heating current.
No, it'll be very low, because the inductive heater will be a low resistance path. There will be no field at all from the heating element within the chamber itself, because it would act as a Faraday cage.
This negative current charge will attract the positive hydrogen ions into the oxygen vacancies on the nickel oxide powder lying on the inside surface of the RV wall.

This attractive force will supplement the force exerted by the electronegative oxygen atoms within the NiO at or very near the inner surface of the RV wall.

At startup, the induced current will be substantial at about 10 amps.
The rest sounds like random words.

Giorgio

Re: Inductive heating

Post by Giorgio »

Axil wrote:Fellow posters, please check this for errors as follows:
chrismb beat me to it.

I bet he had fun.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

chrismb wrote:
parallel wrote:Read that quote from Rossi above again. He is not interested in the sort of validation you seem to require before believing in LENR.
That's great. All strength to him. Get a few early-followers prepared to risk real money to buy the thing, and then we can all buy one and copy it if it works out. Great!

I have zero objection to Rossi getting on with it and selling it to whomsoever he can persuade to part with real money. My objection is to spurious claims that damage bona-fide small-scale fusion research for everyone else. It's already a joke after Pons/Fleishmann. This is just gonna nail the joke permanently and anyone with a sub $10billion fusion project after this is gonna be laughed at.
you shouldnt worry about people that will confuse cold fusion with small scale fusion projects.

those are the same people that ALREADY do confuse the fission reactor in Japan with peeble-bed reactors, with molten salt reactors and why not, fusion reactors as well. Of any kind.

Axil

Post by Axil »

Concerning the responses to my last post as follows:

Some background...

I have heard that Rossi is using a commercial plastic extrusion nozzle. These nozzles all use inductive high-frequency alternating current (AC). I will be looking to verify this from a direct Q&A from Rossi.

Plastic extrusion nozzles use high-frequency alternating current (AC) to support inductive heating.

Since I am no expert on current flow through a hollow conductor, I used this reference to generate my last post.

Please compare your response to the following reference. They are not compatible.

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResource ... Fields.htm

raphael

Post by raphael »

Axil wrote:I believe that when Rossi talks about using only milligrams of catalyst, he is not making a mistake. The patent contains “a patent of interest section” where a number of these patents address ion production, acceleration, and their direction.

I believe that Rossi is ionizing NiO particles and firing them into the reaction vessel at high speed with the intent of imbedding them into the wall of the stainless steel (SS) vessel.

If the exciter is magnetic and/or electrostatic force, the only place that these forces will have effect is on or very near the surface of the SS reaction chamber.

The big Cat-E (10 KW) was said to contain only a gram of catalyst. That is too small a volume of catalyst to fill a 1000 cm3 vessel. However, it is sufficient to coat its walls with a rough thick surface layer. A Cat-E totally filled with nanopowder with all of it producing heat cannot pass that internal heat to the wall of the SS vessel very well.

Tight nanoparticle packing needed for efficient heat transfer would work against efficient hydrogen flow and vice versa.
Axil, the patent abstract mentions that the tube is filled with powder and that this powder is pressurized (2...20 bars).
"As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden." Chauncey Gardiner

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

you shouldnt worry about people that will confuse cold fusion with small scale fusion projects.

those are the same people that ALREADY do confuse the fission reactor in Japan with peeble-bed reactors, with molten salt reactors and why not, fusion reactors as well. Of any kind.
Unfortunately these people are allowed to vote.

raphael

Post by raphael »

Axil wrote:Concerning the responses to my last post as follows:

Some background...

I have heard that Rossi is using a commercial plastic extrusion nozzle. These nozzles all use inductive high-frequency alternating current (AC). I will be looking to verify this from a direct Q&A from Rossi.

Plastic extrusion nozzles use high-frequency alternating current (AC) to support inductive heating.

Since I am no expert on current flow through a hollow conductor, I used this reference to generate my last post.

Please compare your response to the following reference. They are not compatible.

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResource ... Fields.htm
This is the type of heater Rossi is using:

http://www.heaters.in/mica-band-heaters.html

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Axil wrote:Please compare your response to the following reference. They are not compatible.
Just use logic, they are band heaters and are built to heat the inside with uniform temperature. This is enough to reply to all your claims.

raphael

Post by raphael »

The means via which the RossiFusion reaction is controlled remains an open (and ever-more-puzzling?) question.

Is the amount of pressure (compaction?) applied (during fabrication) to the powder an important factor?

Does it partly depend on the amount of catalyst that's mixed with the nickel?

By playing with variables like these, has Rossi come up with a reactor that will heat up only to a certain temp and then stabilize?

Axil

Post by Axil »

Axil, the patent abstract mentions that the tube is filled with powder and that this powder is pressurized (2...20 bars).
I looked up the powder volume info as follows:
Ludwik Kowalski
March 23rd, 2011 at 1:33 PM

3) I also would like to know the approximate mass of nickel powder in the 12 kW reactor demonstrated in January.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
Professor Emeritus
Montclair State University, USA

Andrea Rossi
March 23rd, 2011 at 4:05 PM

3- The average charge is around 100 g

Warm Regards,
Andrea Rossi
Ni or NiO nanopowder has a density of between 2 to 3 grams/milliliter.

Therefore, the nanopowder fills the reaction vessel (1 liter) at 5% or less of its volume.