Polywell needed, Texas, stat!

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

dch24

Polywell needed, Texas, stat!

Post by dch24 »

http://thestir.cafemom.com/sports/11575 ... show_super

Ignore the superbowl rant. We're having rolling blackouts in Texas because of the cold winter.

Does anyone have a spare polywell we could plug into the grid?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Jeez, I thought Texas was the home of the Pickens plan, the plan that would save America from energy problems. Hmmm.
Last edited by KitemanSA on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

dch24

Post by dch24 »

KitemanSA wrote:Jeez, I thought Texas wat the home of the Pickens plan, the plan that would save America from energy problems. Hmmm.
Pickens wasn't in it for energy, but for water.

Stoney3K

Post by Stoney3K »

I do recall a stray LENR unit somewhere in Italy.

Although I'm not sure 10kW would cut it for the entire Texas state. Probably only for the Eastern half. :P
Because we can.

dch24

Post by dch24 »

Stoney3K wrote:Probably only for the Eastern half. :P
Just the northeast quarter would be a good start.

But we'd need at least ten. Maybe twenty... J/K

EricF

Post by EricF »

Totally preventable using existing nuke technology. It's not Polywell that we need, but less political influence from the environmentalists.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Oh lordy, he's gotten serious again!

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

(Being in Austin, and wondering when my power will get cut ...) Thought you guys might like to see the source for the info on those blackouts: http://austinenergy.posterous.com/

From ERCOTs update on the 2nd about the blackouts (Possibility of Rotating Outages This Evening & Tomorrow Morning):
ERCOT wrote:The grid continues to have more than 5,000 megawatts (MW) of generation out of service due to the effect of the extreme cold.
Tonight’s peak demand is forecast to hit 54,900 MW between 7 & 8 pm. The morning peak was 53,223 MW – with 4,000 MW dropped via rotating outages -- at 9-10 am.
At this time, the forecast for tomorrow’s peak load is 56,800 MW for 7-8 am.
ERCOT’s current record for all time winter peak demand is 55,878 MW, which occurred on Jan. 8, 2010.
So, it looks like we (Texas) only needs an extra 5 GW or so to resolve the problem ...

And from later on the 2nd (ERCOT says grid situation improving but conservation still needed):
ERCOT wrote:ERCOT’s electricity demand peaked this evening at 56,334 megawatts (MW) between 7-8 p.m. – a new all-time record for winter peak demand. ERCOT’s previous record for all time winter peak demand is 55,878 MW, which occurred on Jan. 8, 2010.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

After a few days of below zero (F) weather it got up to 11 F toady. T-shirt weather.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

MSimon wrote:After a few days of below zero (F) weather it got up to 11 F toady. T-shirt weather.
Yeah. My drive home from work at 2300 last night was fun (iced roads covered in snow ... frozen rain/sleet at about 2130, and snow starting at around 2230; passed by a cop, a fire truck and two ambulances, all doing 20 mph, just like me). I was expecting something similar today coming in to work, but the roads are almost completely clear now.

Nothing like when I lived near Buffalo. ;)

dch24

Post by dch24 »

EricF wrote:Totally preventable using existing nuke technology. It's not Polywell that we need, but less political influence from the environmentalists.
This thread isn't really about politics. I'm capitalizing on news to talk about polywells!