EM Drive

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Re: EM Drive

Post by KitemanSA »

Skipjack wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:19 pm
Eh?
According to this "Jon Beam, Chief Operating Officer, praised the Mission Operations team for their exceptional work and agility, advancing ahead of schedule toward completing primary mission objectives by year's end."

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index ... ic=60008.0
Barry-1 is a sensor/compute platform. So, WHAT will be done by year’s end, the sensor/compute platform testing or the EVO testing?

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Skipjack wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:19 pm
Eh?
According to this "Jon Beam, Chief Operating Officer, praised the Mission Operations team for their exceptional work and agility, advancing ahead of schedule toward completing primary mission objectives by year's end."

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index ... ic=60008.0
There are actually two companies at work here. One is Rogue Space Systems, with John Beam being their COO. The other is IVO Ltd, the ones who made the IVO Quantum Drive.

Rogue Space Systems has accommodated two of IVO's Quantum Drives, but the satellite has its own purposes as well. Quoting from their website:
Barry-1 is Rogue’s inaugural space flight where we will be testing our advanced compute hardware, algorithms, sensor aggregation and in situ data processing.

Once deployed to Lower Earth Orbit (LEO), Orbot, Orbital Robot, Barry-1 will test Rogue’s Scalable Compute Platform (SCP) and its ability to aggregate data from multiple sensors and process that data in real time. Additionally, Rogue will be on-orbit testing internal and customer developed algorithms.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

A tweet from IVO Ltd's CEO:
Richard Mansell wrote:Barry-1 is continuing to progress through LEOP at this time and we appreciate the hard work and great progress
@RogueSpaceCorp is making. Quantum Drive #QI testing has been postponed until January.
Also:
Richard Mansell wrote:Some say that our Quantum Drives are just to scam some VCs (no VCs are involved), or investors (no investors were asked for this), or the government (no grant money was accepted).

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Today's tweet from IVO Ltd's CEO:
Richard Mansell wrote: LEOP of Barry-1 is going very slowly, but it is progressing. I appreciate @RogueSpaceCorp's work toward preparations for the Quantum Drive's first test. No exact date yet.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Carl White wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:01 am
Today's tweet from IVO Ltd's CEO:
Richard Mansell wrote: LEOP of Barry-1 is going very slowly, but it is progressing. I appreciate @RogueSpaceCorp's work toward preparations for the Quantum Drive's first test. No exact date yet.
Launch and Early Orbit Phase should not last 2 months for a cubesat.
I hope they do not have issues with some of the systems.....
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Things seem to be dragging out a bit with no news. Generally, no a good sign.
Barry-1 has two drives installed, so two chances some data is collected. Also, with both v. one running, it provides a possible confirmation stream that would not exist with just one device. My understanding is one drive is supposed to be 2x the push of the other. This difference should allow better discrimination for false positive outcomes.
It remains the lack of updates are a concern. The vehicle has been up long enough they should have solid track data, and with internal instruments be able to discern any dV events from drive testing. We are running towards a cubesat lifespan issue here.

Interesting track data shows Barry in an overall altitude decline from 523km on 20 Dec 23 to 509km as of 30 Jan 24. What is interesting about it is the 509km altitude has been holding for the last 11 days, since 19 Jan 24. Velocity has been sitting around 27408 km/hr with a slight decline over the same period (27509 down to 27506 as of 17:35:51 UTC today).

https://orbit.ing-now.com/satellite/583 ... 4cl/barry/
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

RERT

Post by RERT »

Scratching my head - the Barry data shows t he e satellite altitude falling and velocity increasing, until recently, when velocity seems to have peaked gracefully and altitude similarly bottomed.

The norad data linked earlier shows the SMA continuing to decline, along with the eccentricity.

Not understanding…

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

RERT wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:02 pm
Scratching my head - the Barry data shows t he e satellite altitude falling and velocity increasing, until recently, when velocity seems to have peaked gracefully and altitude similarly bottomed.

The norad data linked earlier shows the SMA continuing to decline, along with the eccentricity.

Not understanding…
The orbit is becoming more circular and less ellipsoid as it encounters resistance in the upper atmosphere, a normal behavior.
Its either not working or still not turned on.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Mike McCulloch tweeted on Jan. 30th that is hasn't been switched on yet. No information as to why not though.

RERT

Post by RERT »

Giorgio wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:30 pm
The orbit is becoming more circular and less ellipsoid as it encounters resistance in the upper atmosphere, a normal behavior.
Its either not working or still not turned on.
What you say matches the Norad data but not the Barry website. At least at first blush…

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

RERT wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:08 pm
What you say matches the Norad data but not the Barry website. At least at first blush…
What I meant is that Barry-1 orbital behavior is normal of any satellite in the same orbit as it is.
The satellite will slowly circularize its orbit and than enter a low inward spiral trajectory toward earth.

So there is nothing particular in its orbit so far if the engine has not been turned on or if the engine is not working.

RERT

Post by RERT »

Can’t disagree with any of that, but I can’t square it with the charts on the recently linked site showing the satellite speeding up.

The notes ‘about thus data’ seem to disclaim any accuracy. I’m going to focus on the Norad data.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

It seems like Barry-1 experienced a failure on the power bus and they lost communication with it, apparently before they could turn on the test engines.

I have no idea of what their collaboration agreement was, but having an experiment in standby for so long in a cubesat is generally not a smart thing to do as their life is not so long.

Anyhow, we will need to wait for the next space test to see if it works (if there will be one).

usesbiggerwords

Post by usesbiggerwords »

From https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2024/02/s ... rives.html :

"Things break in space."

Truer words have not been said. Let's hope IVO gets another shot at this.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Rumor is that Rogue Space Systems has offered IVO a next ride in Q4 2025.