EM Drive

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ScottL
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: EM Drive

Postby ScottL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:59 pm

Birch,

To be clear, I believe Paul's intentions are good. Unfortunately, I believe his actions have resulted or are resulting in terrible sensationalism. This happened to him back in June I believe and NASA told him to zip his lips. I don't want you to get me wrong, I like what Paul is doing at Eagleworks in general. I think he's qualified to do the engineering and that he'll get to the bottom of it, but I disagree with his insistance on being NASA's PR source on this topic. He states clearly that the work has not been peer-reviewed or published yet, which is my first problem. My second problem is that he leaves tantalizing inferences that there is thrust, which he shouldn't, and then says more work needs to be done to eliminate errors. What he's done is given fuel to the media fire and I suspect once NASA starts getting questions based on these articles like they did before, they'll shut him up again. NASA is at a delicate time in it's history and I don't think they can handle a controversy like the media making the public think NASA promised us warp engines and not delivering.

TLDR: I think his intentions are good and noble, but his actions could cost us.

birchoff
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby birchoff » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:14 pm

ScottL

Postby ScottL » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:20 am

That's just it Birch, he shouldn't be mentioning any results before they're published. It's not that he made sensationalist remarks, but that he fed the media exactly what they needed to blow this whole thing up. Look at it from the media's perspective:

1. Eliminated a bunch of noise, still see thrust....OMG CONFIRMED!
2. Data you can't release yet? OMG CONFIRMED!
3. Advice to others on potential replication....you know....because why replicate something that didn't work....OMG CONFIRMED!

Paul is a good engineer, but he speaks when he shouldn't. This same thing happened last time and he was asked to kindly stop commenting on the subject by his superiors. They should kindly do the same now as to not get the media hyped.

Axil

Postby Axil » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:30 am

You can't blow up anything that is true. The truth will out in the end.

birchoff

Postby birchoff » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:06 am

birchoff

Postby birchoff » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:06 am

ScottL

Postby ScottL » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:52 am

Well the media is blowing up what he said and if it turns out there isn't actually an effect, I suspect NASA will hear about it.

birchoff

Postby birchoff » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:18 pm

ScottL

Postby ScottL » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:49 pm

Carl White

Postby Carl White » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:36 pm

Cannae drive resurfaces with a little information and a promise of a news release regarding demonstration results:

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:44 pm

Love to see the validation! Thanks for the link.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ScottL

Postby ScottL » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:38 pm

I've been following the emDrive via NSF and /r/emDrive but honestly the longer I look into it, the more it looks like people are just deluding themselves. Every experimenter or DIYer is doing their own variant, so no replication is being done. Shawyer refuses to give up specifics (secret sauce/Rossi-style). There are no protocols in place and people are throwing out techno-babble laced explanations for why it must work before any evidence is provided that it has worked. The lone possible shining light was EagleWorks, but as I read their experimental protocols and results on previous tests, I'm not impressed. Who shoves non-vacuum rated gear into a vacuum, watches it blow, and still accepts any readings from said test?!

Axil

Postby Axil » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:57 pm

ScottL

Postby ScottL » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Giorgio

Postby Giorgio » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:26 pm

A society of dogmas is a dead society.

Return to “News”