Antimatter causes Anti-gravity ?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

KitemanSA wrote:
Stoney3K wrote:How can antimatter have a repulsive force on other masses, when it has positive mass but opposing charge?
So you are saying there is not anti-neutron since there can be no opposing zero charge??? Unh... doesn't sound right to me.
antineutron has the same mass as a neutron, but an opposite baryon number since it is made of antiquarks. it also has an opposite magnetic moment to that of the neutron.

Personally, I think people are totally misunderstanding the accelerated expansion. What they are seeing is the stuff that is furthest away is going away faster than stuff that is closer. All this means is that the rate of expansion is slowing since the stuff closer to us is more recently emitted photons and the stuff further away is more anciently emitted photons.

If there was accelerated expansion, the closer stuff would be moving away faster than the further stuff.

choff

Post by choff »

I wonder if it would be possible to have black holes made entirely of antimatter hiding in some of those void regions?
CHoff

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

What's inside the event horizon of a black hole, matter vs. anti-matter, makes no difference outside. At least according to leading theory.

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

hanelyp wrote:What's inside the event horizon of a black hole, matter vs. anti-matter, makes no difference outside. At least according to leading theory.
an antimatter black hole should carry an opposite electric charge and dropping normal matter into it would reduce its mass, rather than increase it.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

It would if gravitons came from only one direction, but since it is a 360x360 situation almost all of the gravitons from "below you" wouldn't be blocked as much by the rod. Those that come from "zero" degrees would perhaps be blocked by the same amount of mass, but those that came from 0.5 degrees would only go through a portion of the rod, and those that come from 1 degree might not pass thru much of the rod at all. The blockage is integrated across all the mass/angle of the entire earth and the rod can't do the same thing.
Still does not seem plausible to me. Gravitons coming in at angles, would push you at these angles. Anything past 45 degrees would push you more sideways than upwards. So if you will, make it a shape that covers you to 45 degrees and you will still end up with an object with a much lower mass then the earth effectlively creating the same gravitational shielding. Again, cant be.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Think of this as the inverse of Gauss. Equal 360°x360° pull means no net pull. Equal 360°x360° push means no net push.
Block 2% of the push from 180°x180°, you will have a net push of ~2%(?) in the direstion of the blockage. Block 2% over 2°x2° you have what, 5E-6 total push? Much lower than the full planet.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Perhap I begin to see your mis-understanding.

I do not suggest that the gravitons are 100% blocked by any mass. Mass (according to my understanding of the thesis) is mostly transparent like it is to neutrinos. The full thickness of the earth may only block one millionth of 1 percent of the total graiton flux. It takes something as massive/dense as a black hole to block it all.

Now my geometry may be a bit off, but if you have a 45° conical plug "below" you, the gravitons coming in a ~22.5° would only be blocked ~half as much as by the earth and those a 44° would barely be blocked at all relative to the earth.

My recollection is that the math works out such that it is perfectly in tune with Newton and Einstein (in their respective regimes).