We won (but have to wait till octobre 2012...)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Emmet

We won (but have to wait till octobre 2012...)

Post by Emmet »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have hereby the extremely big honour to put your attention at this link

http://www.examiner.com/alternative-ene ... -beginning

A Mr. Richard Godwin, member of the National Space Society Board, pronounces himself pretty optimistic about polywell and puts octobre 2012 as "completion date".

I would interpret this statement in the following way (and have to admit that I'm very far from being physicst, so the following is 0,1% science and 99,9% political speculation):

1. WB-8 with its DD reaction has brought the expected success, so construction of WB-8.1 (remember the contract, completion in octobre 2012...) is settled.

2. The proposed construction of the MW-class demonstrator this year on DD-basis will nevertheless not happen but later next year on pB11-basis.

3. The only reason for this change in strategy can be the political fallout of Fukushima. DD produces neutrons, hence leaves contamination at the reactor walls etc., hence "smells like nuke". pB11 is clean above all doubts, can be sold politically much more easy as modern energy equally safe as solar power what indeed is true.

I hope I'm right...
stone-bronze-iron-carbon-boron

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Ok, but he really didn't say anything. I read it as "navy working on Polywell."
According to Richard Godwin, President of Apogee Books and current National Space Society Board Member, the future of alternative energy comes from a “Google search [of] one word ‘Polywell.’” The fuel requirements of this new fusion reaction are readily available and completion is scheduled for late October, 2012.

vernes

Post by vernes »

My skepticism is preventing me from grinning like an idiot like I'd like to.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

According to Richard Godwin, President of Apogee Books and current National Space Society Board Member, the future of alternative energy comes from a “Google search [of] one word ‘Polywell.’”
Whoa! These guys are still around. I'm not sure what they have to do with alternative energy, though. :?
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Ivy Matt wrote:
According to Richard Godwin, President of Apogee Books and current National Space Society Board Member, the future of alternative energy comes from a “Google search [of] one word ‘Polywell.’”
Whoa! These guys are still around. I'm not sure what they have to do with alternative energy, though. :?
That's the Reactor Controls Division subsidiary of these guys:
viewtopic.php?t=2645&sid=186ea0bdea1fbe ... 505222f7f4

seedload

Re: We won (but have to wait till octobre 2012...)

Post by seedload »

Emmet wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have hereby the extremely big honour to put your attention at this link

http://www.examiner.com/alternative-ene ... -beginning

A Mr. Richard Godwin, member of the National Space Society Board, pronounces himself pretty optimistic about polywell and puts octobre 2012 as "completion date".

I would interpret this statement in the following way (and have to admit that I'm very far from being physicst, so the following is 0,1% science and 99,9% political speculation):

1. WB-8 with its DD reaction has brought the expected success, so construction of WB-8.1 (remember the contract, completion in octobre 2012...) is settled.

2. The proposed construction of the MW-class demonstrator this year on DD-basis will nevertheless not happen but later next year on pB11-basis.

3. The only reason for this change in strategy can be the political fallout of Fukushima. DD produces neutrons, hence leaves contamination at the reactor walls etc., hence "smells like nuke". pB11 is clean above all doubts, can be sold politically much more easy as modern energy equally safe as solar power what indeed is true.

I hope I'm right...
Not clear I understand why he would know more than anyone else. Does he have a relationship that I don't understand?

Personally, I am not sure that Polywell being lumped in as our future hope with Potential Difference Inc. is a good thing.

My guess is that you are joking and I that the joke is too subtle for me.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

My skepticism is preventing me from grinning like an idiot like I'd like to.
Quoted for agreement.
It is a faint glimmer of hope in the far distance, but there is indeed still reason enough to be reserved and very cautious with the optimism.
This is just ONE off hand comment by someone not directly associated with the project.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Folks, look at the next "alternative energy system" in the article. Are we sure we want Polywell associated with "Regenerative Acceleration Generator and Bi-Toroid Transformer"? If anything, this article looks to be a slap.

Emmet

Post by Emmet »

I have to admit that I'm nearly pleased by the reception of my comments! I really expected a full scaled barrage of scientifically striking arguments telling me why I have to be compeletely wrong with my guess - that didn't happen (so far), so still I feel I might be right...

I liked the part with the "too subtle humour"! Of course man, I'm living in Central America, it's not about scaling laws and budgeting what makes up the success...it has to be at the end of 2012, at least the spirit of Pacal the Great told me so... :oops:

Only for the "grinning idiot" I have to deny bail because reading this transformed me instantaniously in a weeping girl.

The 3 points I wanted to make are not so hard to get:

1. Mr. Godwin is so far the most famous and "official" person to sing victory songs regarding polywell - having or having not an official connection to the project. That happens 3 days before end of WB-8 deadline...what a random, isn't it? You heard about the expression "cremlin astrology"? We are not talking about a tax reform or the new Orion capsule, we are talking about the most important invention since the steam machine - at least! So what do you expect? That something that changes the entire world fundamentally, for example by altering the balance between China and India a 180 degrees, will be announced just like that? By the secretary of Mr. Nebel in a coffee break? Of course there will be kind of moves in the tectonics long before that point and Mr. Godwin, as I said before, is the biggest plate so far.

2. What are we most watching out for? The D-day of course, or P-day if you want - the day when even the childs in kindergarten will know that the world energy problems disappeared over night. Could be this summer, ain't it? Or could be around 4 years after beginning construction of the demonstrator. But why octobre 2012? That "completion date" is completely new and it's coming from Mr. Godwin. That's the date testing of WB-8.1 is expected to be finished...but, isn't this the machine that only gets build IF WB-8 is successful? So, if Mr. Godwin takes the construction of WB-8.1 for granted....what does this mean than for WB-8 results, mmmhhhh???

3. If a DD-demonstrator would start to get built this summer, wouldn't he then prefer talking about this big shot instead of the smaller shot WB-8.1? As I said, it's pure speculation, but doesn't this arouse the suspect of a strategy change from DD to pB11? And wouldn't this be useful and clever in the political climate nowadays?

Post by 93143 »

I will point out that the quote from Godwin is about the Google search term. The part about October 2012 is not in quotation marks, and it is not entirely clear where the author of the article got it.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Mr. Godwin is so far the most famous and "official" person to sing victory songs regarding polywell - having or having not an official connection to the project.
You are reading way too much into his statement.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

93143 wrote:The part about October 2012 is not in quotation marks, and it is not entirely clear where the author of the article got it.
No, but it might be surmised. My guess is from the Wikipedia article on Polywell. Another possibility might be these forums. The original source being, of course, the contract awarded in September, 2009.

Mr. Godwin's enthusiasm, whether it is for Polywell Computers or Polywell fusion, is understandable, but I question whether it springs from any special knowledge that is currently unavailable to the public.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Emmet

Post by Emmet »

YES!

Maybe the lack of quotation marks has something to say - maybe not...

Maybe I interpret too much in this quote - maybe not...

Maybe Mr. Godwin has special information - maybe not...

Maybe he is too enthusiastic - maybe not...

That's what it is all about: A science so complicated that only a handful people in the world get it (and I'm not part of them, even if I try :cry: ). A thing that is so important that any leaked info has a huge impact to the entire world.

That's what I mean with K r e m l i n A s t r o l o g y, that's all we can do and that's all I try to do - nothing more, nothing less.

My guess is more or less like that: This summer we will learn that WB-8.1 will get build, so we all as relatively good informed people will know what that means. 99% of people still won't sense anything. End of 2012 when the mainstream press will get interested in the construction of the big demonstrator, I guess the position of the EMC2 people will be something like "that's already known a couple of years, that's not so new". Sometime around beginning of 2013 stock analysts will tell us that the economic changes caused by polywell were already visible around 2008/2009...

Maybe there will just never be that one day remarked by history, instead they will go on giving out this pleasant truth slide by slide. Honestly, even me myself I would be afraid of the consequences of Barack Obama holding a speech at prime time TV declaring that from now on energy problems, nuclear hazards, water scarcity, hunger and climate change are solved once and for all - people could go really crazy hearing this, like once with that mars invasion broadcast in the 20s...

Emmet

Post by Emmet »

Sorry, I checked just the expression "Kremlin astrology" in google and I find only really bad stuff. Maybe not anyone knows this expression from the cold war. Because the Soviet Union was so secretive it was very hard to guess about their plans and trying to do so was called that way.

With polywell it's similar because it's just so extremely important. All think tanks and intelligence and investors and hockey players and what else on earth will already have minded it, if not they are useless in their jobs. So application of this technology needs to follow a good plan which starts with how and when let the cat out of the cage. Maybe it shall depend on each individual when to reach its own suspension of disbelief.

I don't want to believe that they just waste 5 years in ITER construction because they are so responseless bumps. I want to believe they all read (like me) and understood the polywell papers and already know that they are museum guards.

I don't want to believe that Obama just thinks that he's no more in office in 2035 and people will forgive him for having abused the imagination of kids with mars while still we are stuck in low earth orbit. I want to believe that he knew what he said. I like the name "Bekuo" so much!

Post by 93143 »

I've seen a similar term, but run together:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kremlinology