10KW LENR demonstrator (new thread)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

For all those who must soon eat their words: Stay hungry my friends.
If the E-cat really turns out to be for real, I will happily print out my words and eat them (with Ketchup). The conference programme does not seem to contain anything that makes me fear for my appetite though.
;)

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

Just to agree with this: the key comment is "things just don't fit together".

The LENR evidence consists of a whole load of apparent experimental anomalies. But when examined carefully they do not form a coherent picture of any conceivable nuclear reaction (including slow neutron generation and capture). Nor are they coherent with themselves.

It is like magic - the human mind is very good at seeing expected patterns where none exist.

Best wishes, Tom
D Tibbets wrote:I watched the video, or at least most of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg8Yu-Ju ... re=related

they talk about picking up neutron reactions in CR39 plastic. This seems strange that they would stick with this detection methods exclusively.
Earlier claims of high energy protons (excess of a few thousand eV) has been proposed as a fusion product. As this proton does not penetrate far, imersing a plastic sheet near the electrode seems a reasonable method of detecting these protons, if the control for other causes of pits (like chloride ions in the electrolyte solution. But in this video, they seem to be discussing high energy neutron detections. CR39is a perfectly suitable detection method, if properly controlled. But neutrons are highly penatrating (they travel far). So alternate methods of detection, such a bubbly detectors, He3 of Boron 11 detectors or scintillation detectors all should be viable. Where is the data from these measuring modalities. Also, if they are interested in the energy of the neutrons, there is neutron differential counters. Why stick with CR39 measurements alone? Adding other measuring modalities would greatly improve on possible experimental measuring errors.

Also, the scales seem odd. If they are detecting tritium production at a few thousand per second,how does this compare with multiple watts of heating power at times. You would expect power output of microwatts of power at best. Unless this mentioned reaction was only one branch out of millions occurring during the anomalous heat production. It stretches credibility.

Things just don't fit together. Extend this to Rossi claims of nearly megawatts of power, without demonstrating gross measurements of appropriate isotopes is a huge hole in his claimed performance.

I can also mention that these LENR results discussed in the video involves deuterium. Hydrogen , as you report, is a control. This is a vast difference from Rossi's claim of hydrogen nickel fusion.

Dan Tibbets

Crawdaddy

Post by Crawdaddy »

The LENR evidence consists of a whole load of apparent experimental anomalies. But when examined carefully they do not form a coherent picture of any conceivable nuclear reaction (including slow neutron generation and capture). Nor are they coherent with themselves.

It is like magic - the human mind is very good at seeing expected patterns where none exist.
Except now National Instruments, the premier instrument and control software maker in the world, is enthusiastically supporting LENR.

The people that design the instruments and write the software that enables accurate data acquisition across all fields of science don't think the data is an anomaly. Don't you think they might be a better judge of data quality than you?

http://energycatalyzer3.com/news/nation ... y-of-texas

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Crawdaddy wrote:

Except now National Instruments, the premier instrument and control software maker in the world, is enthusiastically supporting LENR.

The people that design the instruments and write the software that enables accurate data acquisition across all fields of science don't think the data is an anomaly. Don't you think they might be a better judge of data quality than you?

Um, I think this implies nothing, except that a company that produces a product is enthusiastic about promoting research/ end users that might require their product. Either as a profit per unit sold, or as a promotion to improve their products penetration into the market.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Crawdaddy

Post by Crawdaddy »

Um, I think this implies nothing, except that a company that produces a product is enthusiastic about promoting research/ end users that might require their product. Either as a profit per unit sold, or as a promotion to improve their products penetration into the market.
My small institute has spent more than 100k on NI products in the last quarter alone. How much money do you think they are making on "cold fusion" related sales?

Why haven't they invited my university to their "big physics meeting" given they we spend more on NI products than all cold fusion researchers combined?

If NI is promoting cold fusion and the effect is shown to be an experimental artifact, the damage done to their credibility would cost them many times what they could ever hope to make on cold fusion related product sales before the error is discovered.

I don't think your rationalization is very logical.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Nor yours.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

Crawdaddy wrote:

"the people?". Which people? No, I don't.

And how much money is NI spending on this? None, I note.

Teemu

Post by Teemu »

Crawdaddy wrote: If NI is promoting cold fusion and the effect is shown to be an experimental artifact, the damage done to their credibility would cost them many times what they could ever hope to make on cold fusion related product sales before the error is discovered.

http://www.22passi.it/downloads/eu_brus ... ncezzi.pdf

I don't think one person from there promoting it in this way can do much damage. They are instrumentation supplier, of course they are expected to take "Non judgmental business approach" (as mentioned on the slides) on every customers project, who is willing to pay for instrumentation for that experiment. Of course instrumentation supplier is open minded about measuring Anomalous Heat Generation.
Last edited by Teemu on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Teemu

Post by Teemu »

Suppliers are expected to supply to paying customers, no matter what their experiment or use for it is, except if the end use is obviously extremely dangerous, and potentially could make them liable.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I think it's just a way for NI to market their brand. It makes sense to try to get all the LENR people using the same equipment and protocols because then one is in a position to make real comparisons. Labview is usually found in academia and commercial operations. This puts NI's name out more publicly for all sorts of groups to ponder. It's better than paying for advertising. Doesn't mean anything with regards some official position on LENR. Could mean some single exec had an itch to see some answers though.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

parallel

Post by parallel »

See Is Commercial LENR the Real Deal? for a summary of the arguments. This pretty well reflects my viewpoint. ie. LENR is real and there is a good chance that Rossi is too, but the latter needs to be confirmed.

http://www.slideshare.net/tylervan/lenr

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Mark Saker
August 1st, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Dear Andrea Rossi,

1. It is great news about you attending Zurich on September 8-9 for the conference entitled ‘Energy Change with E-Cat Technology’. Can you advise whether any working e-cats will be presented?

2. If the answer is yes, will it be the domestic low termperature e-cat, or high temperature e-cat?

Many Many Thanks

Mark
Andrea Rossi
August 1st, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Dear Mark Saker:
No, that will not be a demo, but a convention.
Warm Regards,
A.R.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Crawdaddy wrote:
My small institute has spent more than 100k on NI products in the last quarter alone. How much money do you think they are making on "cold fusion" related sales?

Why haven't they invited my university to their "big physics meeting" given they we spend more on NI products than all cold fusion researchers combined?

If NI is promoting cold fusion and the effect is shown to be an experimental artifact, the damage done to their credibility would cost them many times what they could ever hope to make on cold fusion related product sales before the error is discovered.

By this reasoning, unless NI is promoting the activities of your University, then that implies that they do not think your activities are useful or have any potential. You are reading too much into it.

As for reputation, I am much less concerned than you . So long as they do not embroil themselves in the actual experimental claims and conclusions, and stand off- giving technical assistance and consulting only, their exposure to ridicule is minimal. Also, I'm not convinced that the market for instrumentation within the LENR community is trivial.

Essentially, I feel that NI investment in the LENR arena is neutral. It neither implies ground breaking participation or anticipation concerning LENR, not does it imply any negative perspective.

Also, I suspect many aspects of LENR labeling of efforts are unfortunate. There are many efforts that are trying to further the understanding of electrons in metals, hydrides, crystal and metallurgical effects, and all sorts of little understood quantum effects. The suggestion that some of these effects cause or explain atypical fusion, when the data for the claims are so unreliable and inconsistent on several fronts is .

I take the view of the review panel from ~ 2004. While no reliable results have (had) demonstrated fusion,confounding findings and sometimes entertaining claims have resulted. Someday the back an forth may even result in something significant. But, to claim we are there is unsupported. There are some very interesting things going on, and deserve to be pursued for their own merits.

But, the "E-CAT" is a whole different can of Worms... Even LENR enthusiasts are critial of this.

D. Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

D Tibbets wrote:
Crawdaddy wrote:

By this reasoning, unless NI is promoting the activities of your University, then that implies that they do not think your activities are useful or have any potential. You are reading too much into it.

As for reputation, I am much less concerned than you . So long as they do not embroil themselves in the actual experimental claims and conclusions, and stand off- giving technical assistance and consulting only, their exposure to ridicule is minimal. Also, I'm not convinced that the market for instrumentation within the LENR community is trivial.

Essentially, I feel that NI investment in the LENR arena is neutral. It neither implies ground breaking participation or anticipation concerning LENR, not does it imply any negative perspective.

Also, I suspect many aspects of LENR labeling of efforts are unfortunate. There are many efforts that are trying to further the understanding of electrons in metals, hydrides, crystal and metallurgical effects, and all sorts of little understood quantum effects. The suggestion that some of these effects cause or explain atypical fusion, when the data for the claims are so unreliable and inconsistent on several fronts is .

I take the view of the review panel from ~ 2004. While no reliable results have (had) demonstrated fusion,confounding findings and sometimes entertaining claims have resulted. Someday the back an forth may even result in something significant. But, to claim we are there is unsupported. There are some very interesting things going on, and deserve to be pursued for their own merits.

But, the "E-CAT" is a whole different can of Worms... Even LENR enthusiasts are critial of this.

D. Tibbets
And anyway we don't know of any investment, other than a few (one?) NI person making noises which will no doubt get NI publicity & instrumentation contracts from LENR people.

Axil

Post by Axil »

Noble Gas Plasma Engine

In the 1980s, Joseph Papp was granted US Patent No. 3,670,494 for his “Noble Gas Plasma Engine”.

A mixture of recycled inert gases (helium, neon, argon, krypton, and xenon) fills a piston cylinder Then these gases are exposed to a frequency generator and high-voltage discharge in this sealed cylinder capped with a reciprocating piston.

This spark causes the gases to expand violently even though no combustion occurs. Mechanical energy is delivered by the piston's displacement. After the spark, the gases immediately collapse to their original volume and density, and the cycle is repeated.

After several thousand hours the gases lose structure and their elasticity. Replacing these gases cost 15 cents per operating hour.

Papp's first prototype was a simple 90-horsepower Volvo engine with upper end modifications.

Attaching the Volvo pistons to pistons fitting the sealed cylinders, the engine worked perfectly with an output of three hundred horsepower. The inventor claimed it would cost about twenty five dollars to charge each cylinder every sixty thousand miles.

Papp had arranged for a demonstration of Volvo engine to representatives of the Stanford Research Institute. Unfortunately the day before the demonstration, the Volvo engine exploded. One person was killed, and another person was injured. Papp himself is believed to have died from apparent neutron radiation from his engine.

There were indications that such an engine could provide its own electrical power and being a closed system, require no fuel. It is not by definition an electromagnetic engine, however. It is believed that at the heart of the Papp engine is the development of high-density electrical charge clusters which provide the energy to expand the gases.

The Papp technology is now in the public domain, Other US patents are 5319336, 4151431, 3670494, 4046167 - Mechanical Accumulator, 3680431 for Method and Means for Generating Explosive Forces, and 4,428,193 for Inert Gas Fuel, Fuel Preparation Apparatus and System for Extracting Useful Work from the Fuel.

Today. there are several groups working on versions of the Papp engine. It seems to keep recycling through the new energy community.

Jim Kettner has incorporated a company called “inteligentry, LTD” to simplify and optimized the Papp process. He will license his horizontally opposed LENR engine prototype for mass production shortly using the Rossi type “try it before you buy it money back guaranty”.

It looks to me like the Papp engine uses the same basic electron screening LENR principles as the Rossi reactor. In the Papp engine, helium is the fuel and Argon is the catalyst. Jim Kettner is very open about his technology since most of it is in the public domain.

Kettner's company “inteligentry, LTD,” is selling a demo unit to the experimenter types for $350 so that they can verify in their own minds that gas based LENR works. This LENR engine produces no heat. Its energy output is strictly mechanical energy through pressure fluctuations. A simple spark and frequency generator are provided in a completely integrated and assembled package. The gas is user supplied.

If you are interested, see

Part 1

http://www.magistrala.cz/freeenergy/201 ... re-design/

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkX69BA3 ... r_embedded

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOwmDZX ... ure=relmfu

Public domain LENR

Fuel mix

xenon 8.5
krypton 12,5
argon 16.9
neon 26.3
Helium comprise the remainder.

This technology shares most of the features that are currently under development by other vendors including Rossi and Focus Fusion. I will discuss these similarities in another post.
Last edited by Axil on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.