10KW LENR demonstrator (new thread)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Axil

Post by Axil »

Netmaker wrote:
ladajo wrote:Obviously, you didn't get the memo.
The public testing and test results are now secret testing and test results. So secret, they don't talk about them at all anymore.
Oh dear. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with Polywell should it be successful!

I can imagine the Navy internally saying they need to keep it secret so they can build a hundred or so to power FELs in S. Korea, Taiwan and "somewhere" in the Middle East for missile (and in S. Korea's case, artillery) defense. Quick before anybody notices.

It would make for a very interesting disruption in the world balance of military power, however brief :)
Nobody can goes down the main street of reactor development patrolled by the NRC. It takes billions.

They will sneak by necessity through the blacked back alleys of secret military development and deployment.

Netmaker

Post by Netmaker »

ladajo wrote:What world balance of military power?

In any event, having the energy is one thing, doing something useful with it is another. If anything, I think that if we (the US) do develop Polywell successfully, it would just further widen the real capabilities gap. We have a number of things on the burner as game changers, where power source density is a big consideration for fielding.
The current balance, however imbalanced that may be. Obviously on a global basis it is very one sided. On a localized basis however there are difficulties. The 30,000 (if I recall correctly) artillery pieces that North Korea has trained on Seoul and the large number of missiles that China has positioned on their side of the Taiwan Straights.

I mentioned the Free Electron Laser in particular because based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge it is a game changer and power availability is one of the constraints to deploying it. The advantages of it being lower dwell time required and a greater tolerance to atmospheric conditions as compared to optical lasers. Granted it is not as far along in development as solid state lasers but I believe that it has more potential to it.

Where the FEL may be a game changer against aircraft, ships, artillery and missiles, the magnetic rail gun may be a game changer for grinding a target area into dust. And to keep grinding it for a very long time. My understanding is that there are both power and materials issues to resolve before its full potential can be realized.

I realize and accept that you're in a much better position than I am to know what's going on in these areas and that my thoughts are probably pretty sophomoric. But I try :)

Netmaker

Post by Netmaker »

Axil wrote:
Nobody can goes down the main street of reactor development patrolled by the NRC. It takes billions.

They will sneak by necessity through the blacked back alleys of secret military development and deployment.
I wonder if a case could be made that with respect to a Polywell powered by pB11 that it doesn't fall under NRC jurisdiction?

Even should commercial reactors require NRC review the need for an alternative to current power plant technology and the relatively low cost/low risk of a successful Polywell design both from a construction and insurance perspective will likely drive an accelerated review process. My speculation. Your mileage may vary.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I would say that it appears so far that ONR has done a decent job of keeping NRC, and Naval Reactors out of the Polywell effort.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

parallel

Post by parallel »

ee-tom,

Here is a report on the on-going cold fusion experiment at MIT. The public is invited.
The video took some time to start for me, but about half way through Dr. Peter Hagelstein of MIT gives a presentation. The claimed COP is 14 and the experiment is repeatable. Actually it is demonstrated as a series of alternating runs between calibration and heat produced by cold fusion.

http://www.e-catworld.com/2012/05/hagel ... on-at-mit/

Other interesting news is that Rossi claims to have solved the problem of running E-Cats at higher temperature, without instability, thanks to help from his military customer. Not applicable to the domestic E-Cats though.

Kahuna

Post by Kahuna »

This is interesting:

http://www.fusor.net/board/getfile.php? ... tt_id=9525

Rossi acknowleges that he knows about it and approves. I assume this means that he is licensing the 1MW plant. I hope an Aussie buys one and opens it up for testing. You would think that the distributor ought to at least have a module to demo to folks. I suppose that would be too much to ask for from Rossi.
Last edited by Kahuna on Tue May 08, 2012 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Rossi is full of shit.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

parallel wrote:Other interesting news is that Rossi claims to have solved the problem of running E-Cats at higher temperature, without instability, thanks to help from his military customer. Not applicable to the domestic E-Cats though.
http://www.e-catworld.com/2012/05/rossi ... peratures/

This is very good news indeed. It means the U.S. Navy bases in San Diego won't have to cut back on their electricity use this summer.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

parallel

Post by parallel »

Rossi writes:
Dear Antonella:
In October we will make a convention of all our Licensees and their list will be put in our website.
For now we are just organizing the network. It is also premature to talk of prices, since the prices for the domestic E-Cats will be set after the certification, which is in course. Only the price for the 1 MW plants is fixed, and the 1 MW plants are the sole item that Leonardo Corp can sell now.
To have more information, please go to

http://www.ecat.com

Warm Regards,
A.R.
He has talked about such a convention before and the expectation is that details of the domestic E-Cat will be released there. Hopefully with a demonstration of one.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The 30,000 (if I recall correctly) artillery pieces that North Korea has trained on Seoul
And the number of those that are actually operational?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

parallel wrote:Rossi writes:
Dear Antonella:
In October we will make a convention of all our Licensees and their list will be put in our website.
For now we are just organizing the network. It is also premature to talk of prices, since the prices for the domestic E-Cats will be set after the certification, which is in course. Only the price for the 1 MW plants is fixed, and the 1 MW plants are the sole item that Leonardo Corp can sell now.
To have more information, please go to

http://www.ecat.com

Warm Regards,
A.R.
He has talked about such a convention before and the expectation is that details of the domestic E-Cat will be released there. Hopefully with a demonstration of one.
Certification? I thought there were units out there already producing power for customers? Isn't that proof enough? And we only have to wait until October for the next glitch in the EEStor (I mean e-cat) program?

Faith is a wonderful thing to behold.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

parallel

Post by parallel »

MSimon,
Certification? I thought there were units out there already producing power for customers? Isn't that proof enough? And we only have to wait until October for the next glitch in the EEStor (I mean e-cat) program?

You might try following the subject if you are going to comment. Rossi has been writing about getting UL certification since the start of this year. It is indeed required to sell a domestic product.

Anyone can buy the 1MW unit. For commercial use you don't need a UL stamp.

May I remind you of our bet? We should know the outcome by the end of this year. When do you suppose there will be news of a commercial Polywell?

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Is there a deadline on the bet as to when conclusive proof and commercial consumption must be met? Moving deadlines tend to allow protracted nonsense.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

parallel wrote:MSimon,

You might try following the subject if you are going to comment. Rossi has been writing about getting UL certification since the start of this year. It is indeed required to sell a domestic product.

Anyone can buy the 1MW unit. For commercial use you don't need a UL stamp.

May I remind you of our bet? We should know the outcome by the end of this year. When do you suppose there will be news of a commercial Polywell?
So when do we hear from satisfied customrs of 1MW units? Or do they all have to promise to pretend not to have them?

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

parallel wrote: May I remind you of our bet? We should know the outcome by the end of this year. When do you suppose there will be news of a commercial Polywell?
Did not you say much the same last year?