UPDATED [slashdot] Ask MIT Researchers About Fusion Power

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

vernes

UPDATED [slashdot] Ask MIT Researchers About Fusion Power

Post by vernes »

Last edited by vernes on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

vernes

Post by vernes »

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

At that point, designs can begin for a “DEMO”, which is the fusion community’s term for a demonstration power plant. That would come online around 2040 (and would putt watts on the grid, although probably at an economic loss at first) {Oh REALLY? ed.}, and would be followed by (profitable, economic) commercial plants around 2050.

This seems like a long time, and it is, but it’s important to understand that this is not the only possible path. You might say that we’re not a certain number of years away from a working fusion power plant, but rather about $80-billion away (in worldwide funding).
80 BILLION Dollars???
Wouldn't it be reasonable to set aside ~1/320th of that to determine if that end (economical power) weren't available NOW?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

These numbers are mindboggling...

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

The 80 billion, or the 250 million a few of us would like to see redirected at other projects? ;)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Skipjack should be very annoyed with those numbers since the EU is forking out most of that.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

He will blame it on the French.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

In this case, he'd probably be right!

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Oh, I am. I have been trying to lobby with some local parties to get some funding going for FRC and Polywell research here. We do have a nuclear research facility in my otherwise anti nuclear country (to many green idiots).

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

Skipjack wrote:Oh, I am. I have been trying to lobby with some local parties to get some funding going for FRC and Polywell research here. We do have a nuclear research facility in my otherwise anti nuclear country (to many green idiots).
I've come to the conclusion there are far less "green idiots" than most claim. From the claims on such that I read, it usually falls along the lines of "not near me!" I would love to see someone try to build a nuclear reactor in Hollywood (CA not Alabama). The question is, would you let it be built in your backyard while still drinking the well water? Even with my pro-nuclear views, I wouldn't.

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

Would you feel the same about a nearby coal plant. why or why not.
Carter

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

The question is, would you let it be built in your backyard while still drinking the well water?
Here in Austria, ever coal powerplant in Europe is basically right next door and some are literally right at the border. Some of these are old, russian models. I would much rather see them replaced with new plant types that are much safer and better built, even if that plant was in my backyard.
You would rather have a coal powerplant right next door, hu?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Jeez, I'd MUCH rather have a nuclear plant next door than a coal plant, even one of the so called "clean" plants.

I think I'd prefer best (of the scientifically proven options) a LFTR over anything else, and an AD LFTR most. Of the non-proven, any pB&J plant.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

KitemanSA,
Regarding living next to a modern coal plant, I worked in one for 30 years, and further, there is a very nice community next to it and I am missing the issue completely. As far as I can see, it is infinitely better option to a bird and bat mulching, noisy, replacement wind farm. That is just my point of view though.
Best regards,

PS I would also have no issue with a nuclear plant.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

mvanwink5 wrote: KitemanSA,
Regarding living next to a modern coal plant, I worked in one for 30 years, and further, there is a very nice community next to it and I am missing the issue completely.
Seems our experiences are different. New data makes for new weightings.
mvanwink5 wrote:As far as I can see, it is infinitely better option to a bird and bat mulching, noisy, replacement wind farm. That is just my point of view though.
Please note that I did not include any sort of 'wind" as anything I would live next to. Too noisy I'm told.

If I didn't live in a condo, I would probably have some sort of solar installation where it made sense, but I don't think solar is viable for general electricity production. There needs to be some sort of baseload plant and so far, nuclear seems the most reliable and cleanest, despite the Fukushima foolishness.