SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

SpaceX News

Postby GIThruster » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:31 pm

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

KitemanSA
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby KitemanSA » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:47 pm

A "space-bearing" civilization? Seems he didn't "fare" well with his cliches.

Robthebob

Postby Robthebob » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Still very unsure about Elon Musk...

1. one needs to pretty much invent a car or traveling across states or even cities would be bad of a thing to do. Imagine that we havent even invented a bicycle in terms of space travel, and he, as well as many other scientists and engineers with the inappropriate focus on whats important, wants to go from New York down to New Jersey on a tricycle?

Unless we tame fusion or fission for space travel, we'll forever be stuck at the tricycle, and until then, in my humble opinion, space travel shouldnt be a serious discussion.

2. Terraforming Mars you say? Calculations work out you say? Cus from what I can gather, the planet itself need a lot more than a fixer-upper. Imagine a house without a roof or foundation... Gravity from the planet is not strong enough to hold a thick enough atmosphere that we can live on, terraforming process takes into the hundreds of years, no spinning molten core so no magnetic field to block off a really really bad mojo radiations, etc.

3. Electric cars are great, when you can get relatively affordable stable electric energy storage with effective energy density that can match gasoline... let me know. I thought that metallic electrochemical battery that was on TED was gonna be good enough, but nope. Combustion fuels store a lot of energy in a very little space, even if ICE is grossly inefficient. There are other problems too, like filling up gas takes 5 minutes, how long does it take to charm batteries? How long can a full battery go for? Can it go for a day or two without charging? What are you gonna do with electric discharge (it just happens when you're not driving the car)? Dont get me wrong, I drive a hybrid, I love my car, but when is the technology going to get here and be affordable?

4. In the past, space programs of any country was just there for the country to measure its dick size, not really much more. Most of the good science arent done by space programs. I know what you're thinking, that space programs, on their journey to their goals, had made many break throughs in technology and science. This is true, but the same thing can be said about any monumental challenge in science and engineering, like CERN, ITER, etc. I'm saying for right now, we should be focusing on other challenges, like commercial fusion, quantum computers, etc which if achieved will benefit humanity more than space exploration (for now) and still bring us all those innovations necessary to get us there.

5. Education education education. He should know his work cant be completed in his life time, invest in the future, get more people to be like minded as him by getting more kids interested in learning, the sciences and engineering, get them to college, get them a job that they can be passionate about, and they can change the world. To me Elon Musk's vision is grand and amazing, but it's still short sighted.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:15 pm

No matter who builds the fire some clown has always got to come along and pee on it. To your points:

1) Mars One has already done the calculations for a colony on Mars. I don't think they have an economic justification but that is not the question. It is certainly possible to do. Neither fission nor fusion for propulsion will make a large difference here. A rocket is a rocket and any rocket going to Mars is going to coast almost the entire trip. If you're waiting on Fusion, you don't understand the challenge. What we really need to make the economic case is a propellantless drive that can get us there at constant 1 gee acceleration in just a couple days, without throwing away your launcher each time you fly.

2) Can't quibble as I don't know what Musk's statements here were based on. Neither do you. Could be to terraform he expects satellites to provide magnetic coverage and the atmosphere would be brought in with asteroids. In any case if you didn't think he was talking significantly into the future you're not tracking.

3) The Tesla Roadster has a 200 mile range. Stop your whining. It's a remarkable accomplishment and the sedan at just $50k is an amazing accomplishment. the next step, a very high production run of a very cheap car, and the process to get there is all genius.

4) People should be focused on whatever challenges float their boat. We don't need your stinking fascist crap telling people to be disinterested in space or anything else. This is the land of Liberty. If you don't like it, get out.

5) You have the problem backward. I highly suggest you read Eva-Jane's excellent interview with Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson in the latest Space Quarterly on how to get your perspective correct. Focusing on space is what urges kids to study science and engineering. It doesn't happen the other way around. You don't educate the engineers and then look for something for them to do. You give people reasons to bust their asses in school and become the next generation of engineers, and nothing has been more successful at this than the Apollo program, Star Trek and SSTS. What we need are people willing to paint the picture and let us live our dreams and Elon is the point man, going where no one has gone before.

You'd like him if you weren't envious of his big, swingin' dick.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:46 pm

OCTOBER 7 ANNOUNCED AS TARGET LAUNCH DATE FOR SPACE STATION MISSION

NASA and SpaceX have announced October 7, 2012 as the target launch date for SpaceX’s first resupply mission to the International Space Station (ISS). The launch of the Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft is scheduled for 8:34 p.m. EDT from Cape Canaveral, Florida. October 8 is the backup date.

The launch represents the first of 12 SpaceX flights to the ISS under NASA’s Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) contract, and follows a successful demonstration mission in May when SpaceX became the first private company ever to attach to the ISS and return safely to Earth.

The SpaceX CRS-1 mission also represents restoration of American capability to deliver and return cargo to the ISS—a feat not achievable since the retirement of the space shuttle. SpaceX is also contracted to develop Dragon to send crew to the space station. SpaceX’s first manned flight is expected to take place in 2015.

On this mission, Dragon will be filled with supplies, which include materials to support 166 experiments in plant cell biology, human biotechnology, and materials technology. One experiment will examine the effects of microgravity on the opportunistic yeast Candida albicans, which is present on all humans. Another will evaluate how microgravity affects the growth of cell walls in a plant called Arabidopsis.

Expedition 33 Commander Sunita Williams of NASA and Aki Hoshide of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency will use a robotic arm to grapple Dragon following its rendezvous with the station, expected on October 10. They will attach Dragon to the Earth-facing port of the station’s Harmony module for a few weeks while crew members unload cargo and load experiment samples for return to Earth.

Dragon is scheduled to return in late October for a parachute-assisted splashdown in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of southern California. Dragon will fly back carrying scientific materials and space station hardware.

Robthebob

Postby Robthebob » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:37 pm

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:20 am

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:41 am

kunkmiester

Postby kunkmiester » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:58 am

Evil is evil, no matter how small

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:18 am

Robthebob

Postby Robthebob » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:27 am

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:41 pm

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:21 pm

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:17 pm

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Return to “News”