SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Re: SpaceX News

Post by Skipjack »

People are already over interpreting this comment. We do not know how bad the damage really was or how much of that stage can be reused. All that Musk said was that the stage is now their now baseline for ground testing since it was the one that was damaged the most of the 3.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Skipjack wrote:People are already over interpreting this comment. We do not know how bad the damage really was or how much of that stage can be reused. All that Musk said was that the stage is now their now baseline for ground testing since it was the one that was damaged the most of the 3.
Merely speculation based on a few photos. The control paddles (at least one) appear badly scorched and possibly even slightly melted. Also, above one paddle there is significant scorch marks on the cylindrical rocket body. While the rocket survived, there may be enough local thermal damage to the metallurgical properties that the regions lose a significant portion of their strength. You might replace the paddles, damage to the rocket body is another matter...

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

D Tibbets wrote: Merely speculation based on a few photos.
Exactly. Too much speculation, IMHO. People are so eager to see SpaceX run into problems so they can say that "I always knew that reusability would be impossible". Because so far it looks like SpaceX has been proving most of the industry seniors wrong time and again. And they all hate that.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

There is another GTO launch for SpaceX today at 17:40 eastern time (the Thaicom-8 satellite). I wonder if they will get a third landing in a row with this?

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Elon Musk has since then clarified that the stage can very much be reflown. So as I had assumed earlier, all that speculation was wrong.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

krenshala wrote:There is another GTO launch for SpaceX today at 17:40 eastern time (the Thaicom-8 satellite). I wonder if they will get a third landing in a row with this?
And it looks like it is currently delayed a bit. Found the youtube stream for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYC4f79iXc Its still starting at 1640 central, apparently.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Delayed until tomorrow. Small glitch in an actuator second stage engine. Would normally not be reason for a scrub, but they want to be safe.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Is SpaceX just in make-up mode after losing a rocket, or are they really spooling up to a pretty intense launch pace?

How do they compare to the old, established rocket outfits?

Not too shabby, considering they are not yet reusing the first stages they have successfully landed.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Tom Ligon wrote:Is SpaceX just in make-up mode after losing a rocket, or are they really spooling up to a pretty intense launch pace?

How do they compare to the old, established rocket outfits?

Not too shabby, considering they are not yet reusing the first stages they have successfully landed.
No, they have always wanted to increase their launch schedule. Eventually they want to have a launch a day, but that is still far off.
They will reuse their landed stages, they just want to make sure they are safe. A satellite costs more than a rocket launch, you know (part of that is because rocket launches are so expensive so satellites have to be 100% reliable and so on).

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

It is my understanding that the current desired tempo is approximately one launch per month. With the long-term goal, as Skipjack says, of a launch a day.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

This delay implies maintenance on the rocket on the pad for something normally considered a in shop repair.
Interesting on a repair standpoint...or am I reading to much into this delay?
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I have not seen any real details. The countdown clock is at 7hrs and dropping. So, on face value, whatever they are doing, they have not yet scrubbed for today.

On another note, if you peruse the space launch schedules, SpaceX optempo is on an uptick. They are getting mo' busy. A number of launches fragged.

I like to bounce these two for checks and updates:

http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/launch-schedule/

https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Yeah, that's what I mean. Without a detailed analysis of the schedule, and realizing that this is a bit like getting count rate from a few tics of the neutron counter, I get the impression of an uptick. It does seem to suggest that the dreams of a high level of activity are being backed with hardware and activity. This is refreshing ... I'm remembering the promised operational tempo of the STS, versus the actual launch schedules.

As for a launch a day, that requires a market demand for that many launches. And that, in turn, requires comparable vision from customers. Ultimately, that's the real test of where we are going. Unless, of course, Musk becomes his own best customer. Which could happen if he can make asteroid exploitation pay.

ladajo wrote:
On another note, if you peruse the space launch schedules, SpaceX optempo is on an uptick. They are getting mo' busy. A number of launches fragged.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

SpaceX wants to increase the launch cadence a lot. The one flight a day is a far term goal, but they would like to get to much more than just one flight a month, even in the near term. They have a full schedule that they have to work through.
Indeed whether the market is elastic enough to support one launch a day is a matter of debate. SpaceX wants to launch their own LEO internet constellation which will make them their own best customer for quite a while.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

Looks like they successfully landed another stage. Third landing in a row on the barge, and second landing of a GTO launch first stage.