Nuclear Reactors in Space

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Nuclear Reactors in Space

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Yes, someone posted about this about a month ago but there hadn't been any practical tests yet. Someone is obviously bucking for funding. I hope they get it.

I'd like to see this and next gen M-E thrusters turned into small, cheap space probes to replace JIMO. Except for the very high power ice penetrating radar JIMO was planned to use, this reactor could supply M-E thrusters and a very capable instrument package with power for more than a decade. I like the idea of mass-produced, cheap space probes sent out all over rather than the big ticket items like JIMO. Would be great to see in 12-15 years.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Is this new?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOPAZ_nuclear_reactor

It may be that the incorporation of a Sterling engine into the process is the key point. This would up the conversion efficiencies (over thermal couple direct conversion), and thus increase useful power without the corresponding increase in waste heat management inherent in a thermal couple system (~ 30% conversion verses a few %.).

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

A month ago today:

viewtopic.php?t=4093

If there's anything that is "new" it is that DOE decided to restart U238 production and Sandia is adapting to that with this new/old design.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Nydoc

Post by Nydoc »

There was a NASA-NIAC report last year titled Aneutronic Fusion Spacecraft Architecture.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Nydoc wrote:There was a NASA-NIAC report last year titled Aneutronic Fusion Spacecraft Architecture.
Very nice.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.