SPM - Criticism Welcome

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

kcdodd

SPM - Criticism Welcome

Post by kcdodd »

I have made a little Google site and put a couple documents on there for anyone that cares to read them. I don't claim to be doing too much new. I don't mind admitting that a lot of my thinking originated from thinking about polywell, and how it might or might not work. However, this is not about polywell. It really goes back to a simpler idea of using electric fields. I have been pretty ambivalent about telling anyone about my thoughts, since of course I can look really stupid if I miss something easy, and everyone is ultra critical when it comes to the fusion question. But I kind of welcome it at this point since that's that only way I can improve it. My own brain has already turned it over too many times.

There are two documents. SPMX is the first one you should read, which is relevant to the fusion question. If you're into sci-fi level of thinking, then read SPMFAR. I enjoyed writing it up, but I'll admit it's not very polished yet.

https://sites.google.com/site/methodphysics/fusion-spm
Carter

hanelyp

Re: SPM - Criticism Welcome

Post by hanelyp »

Skimming the proposal:
- Plasma is neutral, thermal, beta < 1
- not wiffleball mode, higher cusp losses.
- radial cusp will need VERY good plugging to keep losses in line. This came up several years ago in the magrid configuration brainstorming thread.
- Cusp plugging for both ions and electrons by external electrodes. Differs from the pre-WB6 cusp plugging experiment in the electrodes reflecting one species and allowing the other to pass through and be turned recirculation style.

It seems to me that cross field diffusion of electrons will be worst where the magnetic field passes through the plugging electrodes.

Fusion products may have a good chance of escaping through the cusps and plugging electrodes. Direct conversion potential if the thermal plasma doesn't prevent aneutronic fuel. Impacts both removal of fusion products and plasma self heating.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

That is a decent summary of the differences from polywell. The beta is actually pretty high here. But yes, non-neutral and non-thermal plasmas are out (except in the plug itself). The self plugging (wiffleball) is out too. But I think even without those things there is still a fusion reactor in there somewhere, which is where I am now.
Carter

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

Just something to look at: http://youtu.be/N10VWbdBHN8
Carter

rcain

Post by rcain »

whoa! KC, u kept that 1 quiet!
very impressive.
& u have built this already? & it works?
do u intend to publish?

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

No it is not finished yet. I am about half way equipment-wise on this first leg of the journey. But, I can make some plasma right now. Just getting my toes wet. Haven't set sail quite yet.
Carter

rcain

Post by rcain »

keep us posted. fascinated to know the ourtcomes.