2014 Dark Horse Trifecta Year?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mvanwink5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 2014 Dark Horse Trifecta Year?

Postby mvanwink5 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

ladajo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ladajo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:52 am

Well it would seem to be fair to say that insufficient plasma density is everyone's problem.
How they get there is another discussion.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

prestonbarrows

Postby prestonbarrows » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:33 am

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:53 pm

prestonbarrows

Postby prestonbarrows » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:51 am

Can't say I'm the most familiar with tri-alpha's plans given their lack of public information. But assuming they are still talking about some type of field reversed configuration, there will be confinement magnets that are basically right next to where the fusion is happening; same general idea as ITER. Pretty much any magnetic confinement scheme will need superconducting coils for a full-scale power reactor to minimize losses. This means it is likely that the same first wall problems will crop up; neutrons cause superconductor materials to fail plus activation and heat load issues. This ends up requiring significant shielding between the plasma and magnets (leading to a need for much larger magnets).

It looks like tri-alpha are proposing going straight for p-B11 which would mean many of these neutron related problems could be avoided. BUT making p-B11 work is an enormous (and fairly unrealistic) jump if one can not even demonstrate break even with D-T which has orders of magnitude higher reaction cross-section and much less losses from Bremsstrahlung.

DPF is one case where the jump straight to p-B11 is remotely in the realm of reason. Simply because it is a pulsed device where no-one truly knows what is going on. There is a lot of room for happy surprises. The ultra dense conditions also possibly allow for photon re-absorption which would cut back on the effects of Bremsstrahlung. It gets hand-wavy fast though.

Again, General Fusion gets around all this since they don't rely on direct magnetic confinement and have a built-in shielding blanket from the liquid compressor. It would be very quick to turn their device into an actual power plant on the grid once they can reliably demonstrate net-gain pulses at a respectable rate. It is basically a plug-and-play replacement for any coal, gas, or nuclear plant; just needs a turbine slapped on. No exotic new technologies for direct energy conversion needed. It is not quite as sexy as other proposals, but practicality usually wins at the end of the day.

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:16 am

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:37 am

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:44 pm

LPP's having a deep pocket NYC fund raiser...

GF's "Geek Speak" article is amazing, something I expect to be written from a normal liberal arts college educated journalist with a 1st grader's science understanding. "See Sally put the tiny things together and they become hot like a stove...We call that 'F-u-s-i-o-n.' It will be good for Sally's mom and her dog Spot because there will be no soot or scary 'Global Warming.'" My surprise was that the word length exceeded four letters. I hope the TED talk does not sound like that, after all most of the $5k/seat audience members are not expecting to understand anyway.
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:32 pm

CellJeffe

Postby CellJeffe » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:16 pm

Although I am a lurker on the site, I thought that I would bring up today's NIF Nature publication where they claim power gains of 1.2-1.4 (energy out of pellet/energy hitting the pellet).
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/va ... 13008.html
Cheers

zapkitty

Postby zapkitty » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:52 pm

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:46 pm

Very far is an understatement. Like 90 Million Joules far.
They put 90 mil in and get 17K out. The best shot had 8K abosrbed with 17K out. That leaves 90 Mil lost to system ops.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Axil

Postby Axil » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:01 pm

To conform with real science rather than fraud, I demand that another independent third party group of scientists replicate the results, and many more times all over the world. How do we know that the input power required to run the lasers is accurately measured, are the calorimeters property calibrated, or placed property? The list of possible errors not to mention self serving overestimations is a mile long for an experiment this complicated.

Why do the physicists accept this data as being accurate and true when it is nearly impossible to get them to believe in other science experimental evidence? Skepticism should be applied equally. The reporting of these unsupported experimental results is unprecedented in science and is just an obvious way to pull more money out of the near empty pockets of tax payers. And then there are the poor invertors that will lose millions on a possible fraud.

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:43 pm

Axil try to keep the Rossi fringe stuff in the relegated thread. :roll:

This thread is for wild speculation on dark horse fusion projects that might be real run by real scientists without criminal records. :lol:

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:09 am

Return to “News”