New Battery Tech

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

New Battery Tech

Post by Skipjack »

http://powerjapanplus.com/about/news.html
This could be interesting, provided it works as advertised.
Not quite sure what power supply will allow charging a car battery that quickly. I think that that will limit the charging speed. But it is still nice.
What is more interesting is the fact that it will last 3 times as long as a Li Ion battery and that it seems to suffer from less temperature issues.
It could also be potentially cheaper to produce than current high performance Li Ion batteries without big changes to production pipelines.
If all this works out as promised (big if there), then manufacturers could license this technology and quickly replace the production of Li Ion with Dual Carbon.
The increased lifetime alone could make battery powered cars much more affordable with the battery pack not being the life time limiting factor anymore. If it holds its promise to be also cheaper than current high performance Lithium Ion batteries, then electric cars will see an increase in popularity very soon.

hanelyp

Re: New Battery Tech

Post by hanelyp »

I ran across that over the weekend. Apparently the secret sauce is in the not yet public lithium salt electrolyte chemistry. http://powerjapanplus.com/battery/index.html. The anion compatible with a carbon anode strikes me as likely the big part.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

What they say,
The dual carbon design used in the battery, combined with an organic electrolyte, allows for a unique current flow within the battery. Positively charged lithium ions flow to the anode and the negatively charged anions flow to the cathode. This shortens the distance of current flow within the battery,allowing for faster charge and discharge.
I couldn't get test details to back their claims. How many times have we seen "Popular Science" like promises? Has anyone seen anything that convinces them it might be real? These days I am a skeptic until it gets out of the lab and put into a real world application.
Best regards
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

The real news here is the stuff is cheap. I think we can rest assured Musk will be all over checking this out. An order magnitude drop in battery price for the Teslas would make them soar into common use.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

I thought he signed contracts, made serious money commitments already.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

mvanwink5 wrote:I thought he signed contracts, made serious money commitments already.
Well, the technology can allegedly be "plugged into" existing manufacturing pipelines. So it should be comparably easy to update to this. I am sure that contractors wont mind going with something that is cheaper and easier to handle. It will make everyone involved more competitive.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Too, I doubt Musk would have made a long-term commitment with battery tech advancing at the rate it is. Remember the decisions made now, don't come into effect for several years. It could easily take 3-5 years to commercialize this new tech given no challenges with the science, and any agreements Tesla has with a battery provider will likely by then have run their course.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Maui

Post by Maui »

So rewind six months... on the one hand, you've supposedly got a battery tech game changer. On the other you have a guy rumored ready to invest billions to build batteries. Either this is not legit or they've talked long before this announcement.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Maui wrote:So rewind six months... on the one hand, you've supposedly got a battery tech game changer. On the other you have a guy rumored ready to invest billions to build batteries. Either this is not legit or they've talked long before this announcement.
I still don't see the problem. Musk is going to build a battery factory. This technology can allegedly fit into existing battery production pipelines. So one does not exclude the other.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Skipjack,
I see your thinking and the marketing assertions by the battery tech company. We can always hope it works out as optimistically as said, however, how many optimistic battery tech news have we seen of promising tech that has not been brought to market after years? We just have to wait ad see. Maybe one day one of these ideas will go all the way...

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

mvanwink5 wrote:Skipjack,
I see your thinking and the marketing assertions by the battery tech company. We can always hope it works out as optimistically as said, however, how many optimistic battery tech news have we seen of promising tech that has not been brought to market after years? We just have to wait ad see. Maybe one day one of these ideas will go all the way...
Actually, if you read my posts, you will notice that I always say "if it works as advertised" or "allegedly" emphasizing that this is not a sure thing but according to the company that released this information. I agree that it is a good idea to be skeptical of these claims and that new battery technology usually takes quite a long time to get from the lab to the market (if it ever works as claimed).
So it is absolutely right to be skeptical. However, the manufacturer here claims that they are starting production now, which does seem to imply some maturity of the technology. It remains to be seen whether this is just a bunch of hot air, or whether there is really something to it. I still think that it was interesting news.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

It is interesting. Even if it took 10 years to make it to market, any battery with LiPo like performance that is very cheap is a game changer. If nothing else, Tesla has shown LiPo's are able to deliver the kind of performance to turn electric golf carts into real autos, but the commercial limitation is still the cost of the batteries. And this stuff is made of cotton? COTTON?!!

Worth keeping an eye on. . .

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

There seems to be an increase in skill in taking newer battery tech from the lab to a production line, but maybe that is just in my imagining. So, perhaps their optimism is more believable as issues would be seen earlier.

Maui

Post by Maui »

Skipjack wrote:
Maui wrote:So rewind six months... on the one hand, you've supposedly got a battery tech game changer. On the other you have a guy rumored ready to invest billions to build batteries. Either this is not legit or they've talked long before this announcement.
I still don't see the problem. Musk is going to build a battery factory. This technology can allegedly fit into existing battery production pipelines. So one does not exclude the other.
That wasn't my point. I was countering the idea that Musk would have been surprised by this announcement in the first place.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Maui wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
That wasn't my point. I was countering the idea that Musk would have been surprised by this announcement in the first place.
Ahh, ok. I don't know whether he would be or not. There is a lot going on in the development of new batteries. Easy to miss something. You are probably right, that Musk might have seen it. Maybe he wanted to wait a bit to see how the technology matures before he buys into it.