Dr. Park to speak at UW-Madison

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

jgarry

Re: Dr. Park to speak at UW-Madison

Post by jgarry »

If a polywell ' s fusion is anuetronic what sort of radiation does it produce? What is the half life? Or is it only anuetronic when using boron?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

jgarry wrote:If a polywell ' s fusion is anuetronic what sort of radiation does it produce? What is the half life? Or is it only anuetronic when using boron?
Aneutronic is a misnomer. It is low neutronic. About 1,000 to 1,000,000 times less neutronic depending on the B11/H ratio (and that depends on the Deuterium in the Hydrogen).

The half life depends on what absorbs the neutron.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Calling Joeseph "No such thing as Beta=1" Chivka!
Calling Mr. Chivka to the reality desk!
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

ladajo wrote:Calling Joeseph "No such thing as Beta=1" Chivka!
Calling Mr. Chivka to the reality desk!
Please pick up the White Courtesy Phone!

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

MSimon wrote:
jgarry wrote:If a polywell ' s fusion is anuetronic what sort of radiation does it produce? What is the half life? Or is it only anuetronic when using boron?
Aneutronic is a misnomer. It is low neutronic. About 1,000 to 1,000,000 times less neutronic depending on the B11/H ratio (and that depends on the Deuterium in the Hydrogen).

The half life depends on what absorbs the neutron.
The major neutron producing side reaction for pB11 involves a collision between a fusion product alpha and a boron ion. Relatively quick escape of fusion products suppresses this reaction.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

jgarry

Post by jgarry »

Thanks for the reply. Is there any other radiation produced? I gather there's nothing that needs to be stored for thousands of years.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

It is my understanding most of the product will only need to be stored short term. Maybe hundreds of years for the bad stuff. A huge improvement.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

jgarry

Post by jgarry »

I gather the thing of interest in a polywell is the production of high energy ions/electrons. How are these harvested? It sounds as though there's no need for a process to transfer heat and produce steam or something of that nature, but instead somehow electricity is obtained directly?

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

jgarry wrote:I gather the thing of interest in a polywell is the production of high energy ions/electrons. How are these harvested? It sounds as though there's no need for a process to transfer heat and produce steam or something of that nature, but instead somehow electricity is obtained directly?
The electrons are to be held at the center of the magrid (the "box" of coils) while the alpha particles are to be harvested by arrays of metal ribbons lining the vacuum chamber walls called the "Venetian Blinds"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_ene ... tian_blind

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

zapkitty wrote:
jgarry wrote:I gather the thing of interest in a polywell is the production of high energy ions/electrons. How are these harvested? It sounds as though there's no need for a process to transfer heat and produce steam or something of that nature, but instead somehow electricity is obtained directly?
The electrons are to be held at the center of the magrid (the "box" of coils) while the alpha particles are to be harvested by arrays of metal ribbons lining the vacuum chamber walls called the "Venetian Blinds"

Firing the alphas through a coil might be easier.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

MSimon wrote:
zapkitty wrote:... alpha particles are to be harvested by arrays of metal ribbons lining the vacuum chamber walls called the "Venetian Blinds"
Well, with the alphas exiting the magrid through perhaps as many as 16 cusps in a nigh-omnidirectional spray...

Wouldn't it be great if some clever engineering enabled the magrid to serve a dual purpose here?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

zapkitty wrote:
MSimon wrote:
zapkitty wrote:... alpha particles are to be harvested by arrays of metal ribbons lining the vacuum chamber walls called the "Venetian Blinds"
Well, with the alphas exiting the magrid through perhaps as many as 16 cusps in a nigh-omnidirectional spray...

Wouldn't it be great if some clever engineering enabled the magrid to serve a dual purpose here?
Not required. Coils of wire are relatively cheap. It would however require pulsed operation. But that may already be inherent in the device.

classicpenny

Post by classicpenny »

MSimon wrote:
classicpenny wrote:We desperately need working commercial sized Polywells -or some comparable fusion devices- taking the place of fossil fuels on the grid.
There really is no need to panic. We have hundreds of years of fossil fuels available.
Go to aneutronics.org and download "Aneutronics: to Slow the Rising Tide". Turn to Chapter 2. Carefully study each graph in sequence. Read the Chapter.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

classicpenny wrote:
MSimon wrote:
classicpenny wrote:We desperately need working commercial sized Polywells -or some comparable fusion devices- taking the place of fossil fuels on the grid.
There really is no need to panic. We have hundreds of years of fossil fuels available.
Go to aneutronics.org and download "Aneutronics: to Slow the Rising Tide". Turn to Chapter 2. Carefully study each graph in sequence. Read the Chapter.
http://www.polywellnuclearfusion.com/En ... ngTide.pdf

Ya know I object to this on the very first page:

1. natural gas (methane) is a greenhouse gas, 20 to 80 times worse than CO2; large amounts of methane escape to the atmosphere during fracking.
2. coal plants with CCS (carbon capture and storage) leak huge quantities of CO2,and the use of coal kills millions of people in many ways every year

Analysis: Solar activity & ocean cycles are the 2 primary drivers of climate, not CO2

Read the analysis - it is not very long.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

I'm getting crotchety in my old age. I object to people who object to plant food. I like plants.

Do you have any idea what the minimum amount of plant food in the atmosphere should be?