3D model of the Navy Machine on YouTube

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mattman

3D model of the Navy Machine on YouTube

Post by mattman »

Enjoy:

http://youtu.be/KgQ4TD0izq4

=====
This 3D model is taken from information in the preprint paper: "High Energy Electron Confinement in a Magnetic Cusp Configuration." by Dr. Jaeyoung Park, et. Al. on June 1, 2014. This is a polywell. A polywell uses an electric field to heat ions to fusion conditions, it could be a path to fusion power. This model is incomplete (there were other holes in the chamber, not shown), but does show the ring structure, supporting apparatus, chamber and diagnostics. Also included are the plasma and electron injectors. The film shows the machine, labelled parts and some dimensions.

AcesHigh

Re: 3D model of the Navy Machine on YouTube

Post by AcesHigh »

brought to you by Sketchup! :)

btw, are those dimensions centimeters?

mattman

Post by mattman »

yes

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

The coaxial cable does appear to be a pair of "stove support rings" as opposed to a simple single loop. The only difference I would suggest is to have its legs extending past the inside margins of the magnet can as opposed to butting up against it. This device, while necessary for measuring B field flux, had to be a tremendous sink for plasma, adversely effecting confinement and probably heat loss as well.. I am guessing scaling projections has more to do with WB8 work, rather than this purpose built machine.

The two plasma guns look reasonable, but I think there was only one electron gun placed on the top side.
It was biased at ~ neg. 7000 volts and could provide ~ 2 Amps of electron current according to the paper.

Otherwise a nice graphic. Additions of visible light cameras, spectrographs and especially the filtered X-ray detectors at the face and corner windows would illustrate the instrumentation used to obtain the definitive data and emphasize the importance of this experimental setup for achieving the goals in a difficult pulsed operation machine..

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

OK as far as it goes, but the picture of the lab in Alan Boyle's latest story shows a big stainless steel drum with a yellow end stuck off the side. Presumably there is another on the other end. What the heck ARE they? The plasma guns?

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science- ... ey-n130661

Green magrids? Sheesh, can't they be rendered in silver? ;)

tauntaun_rider

Post by tauntaun_rider »

The "big stainless steel drum with a yellow end" is on WB8, not the machine in the video.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

tauntaun_rider wrote:The "big stainless steel drum with a yellow end" is on WB8, not the machine in the video.
Wishful thinking on my part, I guess. "Navy Machine" is kind of vague. Most of the WB series qualify. Not sure about WB-1, which may have been "the American Science and Surplus Machine." And I'm not sure of the funding for the construction of WB-2, but I know I ran it under a Navy contract.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

tauntaun_rider wrote:The "big stainless steel drum with a yellow end" is on WB8, not the machine in the video.
Dr. Park is standing just to the right of Mini-B.

Tom, if you look behind WB-8 you can see the panels. No space for another big "yellow" monster mystery device. ;)
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)