em drive

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

birchoff
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: em drive

Postby birchoff » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:42 am

williatw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby williatw » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:20 am

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:06 pm

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:09 pm

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:13 pm

RERT

Postby RERT » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:52 pm

The gravitational behavior of antimatter is still unknown......

I read about experiments being set up to test that years ago. Not seeing a followup I presumed a 'null' result of antimatter acting exactly like normal matter to within the precision of the experiment.

I keep looking, but AEGIS has not yet reported. As of today the only outputs I can see are papers on the experimental setup.

birchoff

Postby birchoff » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:53 pm

I don't know if anyone other than GiThruster is interested in Mach Effect Thrusters. but it looks like Woodward published a book explaining the theory in 2012. Bought it a few days ago since i read that the proceeds are being used to fund additional investigations. I must say while this is heavy on the theoretical justifications, using a fair amount of math it is not at all unreadable. Hell I plan on at least finishing my first read this weekend. According to the forward the book is not necessarily written for scientists or engineers, but for an "educated audience who has an interest in science and technology."

edit: forgot to include a link to the book see

Carl White

Postby Carl White » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:19 pm

I have a copy of the book as well.

It's divided into three sections. The first addresses the underlying physics and the second past and current experiments. The "central theme" of the third is "the creation of an effective Jupiter mass of exotic matter in a structure with typical dimensions of meters" and involves the ADM electron model.

I found the note in the foreword about QI (quantum inequalities) to be a little discouraging though.

williatw

Postby williatw » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:13 pm

tokamac

Postby tokamac » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:28 pm

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:25 pm

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:40 pm

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Aero

Postby Aero » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:39 am

Reading up on the Casimir effect I came across a field named stochastic electrodynamics. It seems to be a disputed area like the EM Drive but also might be pertinent.

I was reading up on the Casimir effect because I wonder what happens to the Casimir force when the vacuum fluctuations between plates are swamped by high power coherent RF energy in a resonate cavity. I did discover that the shape of the surfaces are important and there have very recently been development of numerical solutions for the Casimir force for irregularly shaped surfaces. Of course the Wikipedia reference led to a pay wall.

Back to the EM Drive, it seems to me that the resonating RF signal in the cavity could overpower the zero point electromagnetic fluctuation at (and maybe near) the resonate frequency. So how does the vacuum energy field behave when one of its random frequencies is removed. I don't know. :?
Aero

birchoff

Postby birchoff » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:39 am

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Actually, the funding of Sonny and Paul's early Shawyer resonator work was not "pulled" per se. It ran its course and ended. They had appealed to Gary Hudson for funding and their project ran its course. During the attempt what they realized was they were unable to pull the kind of vacuum necessary, because the copper was vaporizing and allowing corona discharges, and this mitigated against the proper function of the cavity. They could have built a second cavity out of something like stainless steel, but Gary had already spent a great deal and is not an especially wealthy guy. He wasn't able to afford continuing support of the project. Of course though, DARPA and NASA are able to afford such continuing support and this is what Eagleworks is all about. Sonny had originally wanted to pursue the Shawyer and QThruster (MLT) designs but NASA decided they wanted answers about Sonny's QVF model and the warp interferometry experiment, so they directed Eagleworks to pursue that first. This is why Eagle has in some senses, taken as long as they have to get around to focusing on the thrusters, which they've been doing now for a couple years.

Word is, NASA Glenn and NASA JPL may both be looking into this in the future so we may see some answers in the next couple years. For now, I don't think either center even has a balance in service so it will be some time after they decide to move in this direction. Glenn may already be doing so. I don't really know. What I do know, is that none of these centers are pursuing M-E work, because Sonny considers it in competition with his model and is not looking to test Jim's theory. NASA and DARPA are not currently paying for this but of course, these things can change. :-)

Return to “News”