Energy Storage

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MSimon

Energy Storage

Postby MSimon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:16 pm

Flow batteries.

paperburn1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Energy Storage

Postby paperburn1 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:53 pm

The trouble is, I need something I can buy at a lowes or Menards to store power from my system..
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Carl White

Postby Carl White » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:45 pm

kunkmiester

Postby kunkmiester » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:54 am

You typically pay a lot of money to dispose of such. If you can sell it instead, even if it only covers transportation, you're better off.

You'll still have hazwaste but you've gotten a bit more value out of it.
Evil is evil, no matter how small

JohnFul

Postby JohnFul » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:24 am

Grumalg

Postby Grumalg » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:34 pm

If anyone wants more capacity than usual small generators you might want to look at Capstone micro turbines...

http://www.capstoneturbine.com/prodsol/products/

The exhaust from them can be used as a thermal source for space heating, hot water, and via an absorption chiller for cooling as well. Using the exhaust heat greatly increases the overall efficiency one gets out of whatever fuel version you use.

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 pm

double post
Last edited by GIThruster on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Those are very interesting little machines capstone makes. One wonders if they're decently priced. If they were cheap you'd think every supermarket and convenience store would have one as backup for their frozen goods. Me thinks they may not be very cheap, though I don't know what would qualify as "cheap' in this regard. But just saying, suppose Wawa decided to put them in at every store that has natural gas. They could buy in bulk and one suspects afford several thousands of dollars each store. $10-15k would be justifiable. I now last time the power was out here from Sandy, the local Wawa threw out more stock than that and lost much more in sales while they were closed, when they could have been cleaning up selling when no one else was.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:14 am

Turbines are not very efficient at energy conversion compared to internal combustion engines like diesels or even gasoline engines. Utilizing waste heat would help, but it would also be the same for ICEs. Such heat recovery also needs dedicated equipment which would duplicate existant heating and cooling setups- an additional cost. A fuel cell is the best from an energy efficiency, I think. The only real advantage for a turbine is if a high energy density source is required and this priority dominates over efficiency and cost. Other considerations like reliability and life cycle costs may also apply.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:01 am

Once again energy storage is the 400 pound gorilla in the room. I can make all the power I need I just can not store it for when I want to use it and oversize system for occasional use do not make long term solution
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:00 pm

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:32 pm

Grumalg

Postby Grumalg » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Return to “News”