University of Washington dynomak

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Enginerd
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

University of Washington dynomak

Postby Enginerd » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:04 pm

“Right now, this design has the greatest potential of producing economical fusion power of any current concept,” said Thomas Jarboe, a UW professor of aeronautics and astronautics and an adjunct professor in physics.
http://www.washington.edu/news/2014/10/ ... than-coal/
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
--Philip K. Dick

AcesHigh

Re: University of Washington dynomak

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:26 pm

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Last edited by mvanwink5 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

TallDave

Postby TallDave » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:56 pm

As best I can tell, just another tokamak/spheromak variant. I wouldn't expect dramatically different results.

http://meeting.aps.org/Meeting/DPP14/Session/UP8.62

http://plasma.aa.washington.edu/aps2004 ... S_2004.pdf

They do claim to get high beta.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

AcesHigh

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:59 pm

AcesHigh

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Derek Sutherland answered my invitation to post here
"You're welcome to post that on Polywell forum. Believe me, I'm not anti-anytype of fusion that has some scientific basis. I'm just skeptical of fusion claims, as any scientist should be. I have talked with EMC2 before, and actually have been to their lab. Some of the high-confinement mode results in a polywell configurations were pretty interesting, but I'm more focused and interested in more traditional magnetic fusion devices since they, frankly, just perform the best. Spheromaks are derivatives of our mainstream cousins, which is why I have some hope of such a configuration working in the long run. Please contact me directly going forward instead of the comments section; I don't want to clutter it up."

Return to “News”