Aviation Week on the Lockheed Skunkworks CFR

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

David_Jay
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Aviation Week on the Lockheed Skunkworks CFR

Postby David_Jay » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:31 pm

AWST has some significant coverage of the Skunk Works Compact Fusion Reactor (CFR)

Intro article here:
http://aviationweek.com/technology/meet ... actor-team

Additional details in an article here:
http://aviationweek.com/technology/skun ... or-details
not tall, not raving (yet...)

David_Jay
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Aviation Week on the Lockheed Skunkworks CFR

Postby David_Jay » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:41 pm

A video here:

http://aviationweek.com/blog/high-hopes ... -transport

Let me know if any of these links require registration (since I am registered I can't see what does/doesn't require registration), I can probably cut-and-paste the text from the two articles.
not tall, not raving (yet...)

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:47 pm

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:36 pm

I like the cables used to hold the toroidal magnets. I am sure these guys appreciate EMC2 and J Park's paper on cusp plugging. "Pop the clutch" may have been the breakthrough needed. Anyway, looks like I was rash to count LM out of the Dark Horse race.

It's a funding scramble now as much as it is a matter of science. LM has a really polished sales pitch, especially on development time to prototype.
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

swamijake

Postby swamijake » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:36 pm

Isn't that just a magnetic mirror? I don't get it.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Seems like they borrowed a lot from others. The neutral beam injection reminds me of what Tri Alpha is doing.
What I don't understand is, if they can achieve a high beta, why cant they burn advanced fuels?

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:41 pm

I count 5 coils. Numbering 1-5 as nearest-farthest, coil 3 (center coil) appears to have the largest diameter.

Ignoring the two end coils, this looks like an "inverse" of Torulf's "synthetic" FRC:
Attachments
Lockheed_CompactFusionReactor_5Coils.png
Lockheed_CompactFusionReactor_5Coils.png (123.92 KiB) Viewed 18487 times

birchoff

Postby birchoff » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Since they have a blanket given the image below. That must mean they are planning on burning neutronic fuels like DD or DT. Which begs the question, wouldnt those superconducting rings be operating in a very extreme neutronic environment. Which would mean they should be gin degrading pretty quickly over time. Though a simple solution given arrangement would be to move the magnetic rings to be outside the blanket instead of inside the blanket.

AcesHigh

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:59 pm

the answer to your question must be here... if you can make sense of it... words in an article rarely explain things that well.

" Instead of constraining the plasma within tubular rings, a series of superconducting coils will generate a new magnetic-field geometry in which the plasma is held within the broader confines of the entire reaction chamber. Superconducting magnets within the coils will generate a magnetic field around the outer border of the chamber. “So for us, instead of a bike tire expanding into air, we have something more like a tube that expands into an ever-stronger wall,” McGuire says. The system is therefore regulated by a self-tuning feedback mechanism, whereby the farther out the plasma goes, the stronger the magnetic field pushes back to contain it. The CFR is expected to have a beta limit ratio of one. “We should be able to go to 100% or beyond,” he adds."

" one of the reasons we think our physics will work is that we’ve been able to make an inherently stable configuration.” One of the main reasons for this stability is the positioning of the superconductor coils and shape of the magnetic field lines. “In our case, it is always in balance. So if you have less pressure, the plasma will be smaller and will always sit in this magnetic well,” he notes."

birchoff

Postby birchoff » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:17 pm

KitemanSA

Postby KitemanSA » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:26 pm

One article I scanned suggested that this was a flow thru magnetically guided electrostatically confined system. ICBW.

Ivy Matt

Postby Ivy Matt » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:40 pm

Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:41 pm

To error is human... and I'm very human.

tokamac

Postby tokamac » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:44 pm

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:57 pm

Note that the other picture/ illistration showing only two magnets is confusing. Either it would be a simple mirror or a short selinoid, The first has intolerable line cusp losses and the second has unfavorable B field geometry for macro instabilities. For illustrating a lithium blanket it is OK. Until otherwise indicated I chose to discount it.

I suppose a two magnet mirror machine might perform better if you could pump in plasma fast enough to push the machine to near Beta = one conditions. But the intensity and thus the cost of injecting the plasma/ electrons is perhaps 10 times greater, so it is much more difficult, except that electron injection efficiency may actually be better. The Q would suffer. That would probably necessitate the D-T reaction with its fusion cross section advantages and power yield advantages. In that regard the illistration may actually represent a potential viable approach. The Beta= one consideration trumps the baseline cusp loss picture.

Dr Parks, etel at EMC2 presentation of strong Wiffleball- Beta =1 (close) may be the game changer.

The race is on to achieve major funding for this general approach. Tokamakians beware... :twisted:

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Return to “News”