Aviation Week on the Lockheed Skunkworks CFR

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mvanwink5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Aviation Week on the Lockheed Skunkworks CFR

Postby mvanwink5 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:59 am

Perhaps having the internal coils and supports at the same potential as the wall helps. Also, having the attachments at the coil edge would seem to be better than where the nubs in WB-7 were located. So, perhaps the supports aren't a show stopper. This Fusion business is just full of tricks, and I think a fusion rabbit's foot needs to be included in the patent. Perhaps if we look closely at the LM pictures, hidden in the reactor design is a horse shoe, 4 leaf clover, and a rosary.
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

TheRadicalModerate

Postby TheRadicalModerate » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Skipjack
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Skipjack » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:45 pm

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:15 pm

To error is human... and I'm very human.

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:47 pm

Attachments
Lockheed_CFR_Oscillation.png
Lockheed_CFR_Oscillation.png (220.15 KiB) Viewed 5712 times

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:36 pm

To error is human... and I'm very human.

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:34 am

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 am

Very nice downloads, thanks!
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

DeltaV

Postby DeltaV » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:45 pm

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:13 pm

hanelyp

Postby hanelyp » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 pm

Plasma stable over 1 second isn't the same as 1 second confinement time. In the simulations I'm running (OOPIC) of a slightly simplified version of the skunkworks configuration the confinement is amazingly stable, absorbing an order of magnitude more plasma than beta=1 before appearing to blow out. Keep feeding the plasma in at the right rate and indefinite steady state is plausible. But the confinement becomes leaky via cross field diffusion, mostly near the pole cusps, and unless the latest revision I've made fixes it it gets confinement time in microseconds in simulation. For reference, in my setup beta=1 is around 4e19 ions/m^3, proper fusion temperatures for deuterium.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

Solo

Postby Solo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:20 am

With mechanical supports for the coils, this idea is dead in the water. You cannot get 'recirculation' that way. All the plasma on the field lines that pass outside those 'internal' rings can ExB or grad-B drift around azimuthally until it collides with the stub and is lost. So you basically turn it into a cusp machine, which has shitty confinement. QED.

Suppose you figure a way to levitate those coils, despite the fact that they are extremely unstable, since they oppose the externally-generated field. You still have a superconducting coil inside a plasma with no room for shielding (not if you want a reactor on a semi truck), and more importantly, no divertor, just a limiter most likely. That right there is going to eat your lunch, because it will introduce too many impurities.

Ok, so what if the coil wasn't a coil, what if we put beams in there? Well, you have Tri-Alpha. (This is essentially an FRC with coils.)

So I give this about 0% chance of going anywhere. My question is, what the heck is LM thinking, letting this brash young dude promise fusion in 5 years? I guess all PR is good PR, and if nothing comes of it in five years, it's no big deal to them.

Robthebob

Postby Robthebob » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:43 am

So i got a question for yall.

No one (documented anyways) before EMC2 could get a cusp machine to high beta. So... how did LM know they could? How could they make the claim that they could unless there was proof that they could... did they figure out how to do it (via neutral injection) before EMC2 did it and just didnt publish anything about it? If they just did and didnt publish anything about, that's pretty unethical.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

RERT

Postby RERT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:48 am

Solo - worth noting that if something has to carry current into the internal coils, it will presumably be via the supports. The radial current will set up a circulating field which will tend to divert the cusp flow around the supports. At least, that is as far as my intuition goes. I can't immediately see how it would work out in 3D in the 'cusp channel'.

choff

Postby choff » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 am

My guess is that while the electrons can circulate outside the coils circumference the ions stay within. There's only two line cusps and two point cusps. One of the point cusps would be where electrons are injected, the other where they leave. So they don't have to worry about wiffleball formation in order to keep electrons from leaving through corners, they can operate at 1KW.
CHoff

Return to “News”