Orion launch for test

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

choff

Re: Orion launch for test

Post by choff »

CHoff

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Next launch for Orion ~ 2018. It may be rocket science, but it is not rocket speed. Compare this to the three year interval between the lethal Apollo 1 and the Lunar landing of Apollo 11.

Development of Saturn Rocket, Apollo capsule, and Lunar lander with much new designs and technology-versus established Delta IV rocket and rehashed Apollo technology . Even moving to the new heavy lift rocket uses rehashed Saturn and Shuttle rocket lessons. Things should be much easier, yet with modern computers, materials and lessons learned, the process is agonizingly slow. I don't think money is the only hindrance. Culture,politics, etc. is .

At least it leaves a lot of maneuvering room for innovators like Elon Musk to move forward and leap frog behemoths like Boeing, Lockheed and NASA management*

*At least parts of NASA. The planetary research component has continued to preform well, within the available budgets. .

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

D Tibbets wrote:Next launch for Orion ~ 2018. It may be rocket science, but it is not rocket speed. Compare this to the three year interval between the lethal Apollo 1 and the Lunar landing of Apollo 11.
Almost mind boggling nowadays.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

D Tibbets wrote:Next launch for Orion ~ 2018. It may be rocket science, but it is not rocket speed. Compare this to the three year interval between the lethal Apollo 1 and the Lunar landing of Apollo 11.
That's because all pretense of being something other than an employment program is gone. The goal is no longer to get the job done. The goal is to have a job.

All these people need to be fired. There is no way to put NASA right. It will continue to be a wasteful, bottomless sponge until the house is swept clean.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

birchoff

Post by birchoff »

GIThruster wrote:
That's because all pretense of being something other than an employment program is gone. The goal is no longer to get the job done. The goal is to have a job.

All these people need to be fired. There is no way to put NASA right. It will continue to be a wasteful, bottomless sponge until the house is swept clean.
While I can understand your perspective. i cannot agree with your conclusion. The problem is the few of us who are enamored with space travel treat the Apollo program as if it was a moment in time when everything was right with the world. On the other hand I think it was the worst thing to happen to NASA. Apollo was done out of pure national pride, the kind of national pride that is completely unsustainable. If we depend on governments to do all the heavy lifting then we cannot complain about the result. There are a lot of people in this world that believe that their lives can go on as they exist today with zero need for space exploration. Unfortunately, there is some truth in that statement; enough to make it much harder to justify pulling money from any other government program. Defense has it easy because there are a large number of boogey men anyone can point to as a justification for the investment. NASA and Research in general have to work much harder. So NASA is not entirely to blame for the way things are. They have blazed a path and have shown us the direction we want to go in. There is enough low hanging fruit for the private sector to get involved and make a profit and SpaceX and friends are leading the way there. Now that will either have the preferred effect of making it easier for Government to continue throwing new money at NASA via lobbying from the newly expanded space industry. Or it wont, in which case I think the space industry should honestly have a plan to basically form some sort of consortium and basically pave their own roads, and when Government inevitably wants to come and use it. That's when you fleece them for everything they have. If they do not have the foresight to make the necessary investments now then they should join the back of the line when they want to use the infrastructure that was developed without their input.

birchoff

Post by birchoff »

GIThruster wrote:

While I can understand your perspective. i cannot agree with your conclusion. The problem is the few of us who are enamored with space travel treat the Apollo program as if it was a moment in time when everything was right with the world. On the other hand I think it was the worst thing to happen to NASA. Apollo was done out of pure national pride, the kind of national pride that is completely unsustainable. If we depend on governments to do all the heavy lifting then we cannot complain about the result. There are a lot of people in this world that believe that their lives can go on as they exist today with zero need for space exploration. Unfortunately, there is some truth in that statement; enough to make it much harder to justify pulling money from any other government program. Defense has it easy because there are a large number of boogey men anyone can point to as a justification for the investment. NASA and Research in general have to work much harder. So NASA is not entirely to blame for the way things are. They have blazed a path and have shown us the direction we want to go in. There is enough low hanging fruit for the private sector to get involved and make a profit and SpaceX and friends are leading the way there. Now that will either have the preferred effect of making it easier for Government to continue throwing new money at NASA via lobbying from the newly expanded space industry. Or it wont, in which case I think the space industry should honestly have a plan to basically form some sort of consortium and basically pave their own roads, and when Government inevitably wants to come and use it. That's when you fleece them for everything they have. If they do not have the foresight to make the necessary investments now then they should join the back of the line when they want to use the infrastructure that was developed without their input.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I can agree that we ought not compare what we have today with the Apollo program. Apollo may or may not have been sustainable, but it was wasteful. What we can do is compare Orion against Dragon. Dragon was completed in about 1/10 the time, with much less than 1/10 the cost and with no excuses for missing requirements like the ability to return to land. Orion cannot land on the Moon, an Asteroid or Mars. Orion is a bad joke. It's shameful. It's just people being paid, inside NASA and outside contractors, all with their hands out. It is not even Apollo on steroids anymore. Apollo on Steroids my ass. The ship can stray in orbit for 21 days. So what? Who in their right mind would live in a diaper for 3 weeks? Remember, we're talking about a ship with no toilet. If you're going to be up there that long, you have to have a larger ship where people can move around. So who cares that Orion can stay up for 21 days?

Do you realize every time someone launches an Orion, it will cost the taxpayer about 18X as much as if we had sent a Dragon? You realize the Dragon carries 7 instead of 4?

They all need to be fired. There is no other way to fix what is broken at NASA.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Okay, well maybe don't fire EVERYONE. It's not the interns fault.

http://mashable.com/2014/12/12/nasa-all ... -main-link