A Sequel to The Google Talk

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

johndaly
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A Sequel to The Google Talk

Postby johndaly » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:15 pm

it's probably safe to say that maybe $30m will answer the questions between what exists now and what it would take before anyone asks for $300m.
I think there is a spot for that kind of thing in the slides.
just sayin'...

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:42 pm

mvanwink5
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mvanwink5 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:44 pm

And I'm agreeing... nothing in the slides says otherwise. Standard structured risk minimization.
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

Robthebob

Postby Robthebob » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:38 am

I swear people on this forum always finds a way to complain about something.

What? Proven WB effect isn't sexy enough anymore?
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

choff

Postby choff » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Even if it never made fusion, it would be fascinating to see the 2 meter radius machine at work. In what other device does atmospheric pressure go from total vacuum to ground floor on Venus using only magnetic fields.
CHoff

CherryPick

Postby CherryPick » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Venture capitalists look for return on investment, the ROI. High risk is balanced with high returns if the venture is successful. Good and committed people are important because it is likely that plans change when research and design goes further. On successful exit the VC sells his shares with huge profits which allows 90% of the ventures fail.

I would look for smaller than 300 M$ investment. Where does the money go? Is e.g. decreasing the radius of the device somehow a feasible solution?
--------------------------------------------------------
CherryPick
Ph.D.
Computer Science, Physics, Applied Mathematics

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:50 pm

GIThruster

Postby GIThruster » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:20 pm

"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Ivy Matt

Postby Ivy Matt » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:14 am

Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

MSimon

Postby MSimon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:32 am

Yes, I think 95% of investors would want the details that GIT talked about. But I also think that only a part of investors would not get interested in the idea if those details were not presented in this kind of presentation. The others would be hooked by the general idea and would REQUEST those extra details afterwards, before investing.

Don't forget that there are projects with sex appeal. So to speak. Cocktail chatter investments. "I just invested in a fusion reactor. It is a project run by a bunch of crazy scientists and engineers who talk about things I barely understand. Do you have any idea what a fusion cross section is? Me either. But these people are strange in interesting ways. And who knows? I just might make some money off it and change the world. Besides it is only costing me $10 million for a flier. And if you want a piece of the action I know the developers. I could introduce you to them."

Not everything in the world is about making another buck. Sometimes people will pay a lot for prestige. I had a friend in my youth who had a Rodin just inside his front door. You could feel it up every time you entered or left his house. Exquisite. Tasty. What was it worth? Heck if I know. But it was just for show. A sign of culture and wealth.

A picture of a Polywell exuding beams on the wall signed by Park might be of similar value. "How much do you think that picture cost me?"

Tom Ligon

Postby Tom Ligon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:04 am

Bob Guccione supposedly backed the Riggatron because his wife talked him into it. He was pretty much despised for having gotten rich on smutty magazines, and she was hoping to clean up his act. The "save the world" aspect of it was appealing to them.

Classy lady, I'm told, and smart. She was also behind Omni.

The perfect project gets all your green liberal friends to think you have saved the world, and all your conservative business friends envious of what a great business plan you have.

Is this the project? I'm guessing anyone to put the money forward will probably do their homework first. Very carefully.

D Tibbets

Postby D Tibbets » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:16 am

Microsoft investing in EMC2? The talk by Dr Park itself doesn't imply much. Reading between the lines though, I wonder about the host of the talk. What is his status in the organization? He did mention that he researched the topic enough to make his head hurt (my words). If that means anything at all...

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Tom Ligon

Postby Tom Ligon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:21 pm

JoeStrout
Site Admin

Postby JoeStrout » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:09 pm

This has been an interesting, and possibly useful, thread polluted by off-topic vitriol.

At the request of users whom I greatly respect, I'm going to try to go through and delete the off-topic posts and leave us with a nice neat thread that (apart from this message) will be on-topic.

Remember, don't say: "I'll behave when you behave first!" Each of us is responsible for our own behavior, and the correct thing to do is ignore (and possibly report) any irrelevant behavior, without engaging in it yourself. That will eventually result in a healthy, informative forum that may actually contribute, in some small way, to making practical fusion power a reality — which I assume is why we're all here.

Thanks,
- Joe
Joe Strout
Talk-Polywell.org site administrator

mvanwink5

Postby mvanwink5 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:25 pm

I used to say that it is never 'The one thing,' contrary to 'Curly' on 'City Slickers' (with Billy Crystal) - sort of a reverse 'Jack and the Bean Stalk' story. 'You have to find the ONE thing,' but it is never the one thing. I had a rule of 5, where I would not stop looking until I found 5. The point is that investors rarely want to go it alone, but at the same time investors are like herding cats which is like making fusion work economically, investors each want their terms and conditions, with the result of multiple cooks working on a soup. Still, when the Microsoft talk organizer compared the investment to a couple of McMansions, I took that to be a positive sign on his point of view towards Polywell and also that he was looking to fill out his flush (card metaphor), but did not have it yet.

I am a bit more positive now than I was as the Polywell story gets more investor exposure, and there may be a period where these guys look over the whole field and start picking one, or perhaps more than one to place their bets (why just pick one?)

So, the plot is truly heating up and at some point some group will get the jump on the rest as the prospects look more enticing, as there is always the fear of losing out by waiting too long.
Near term, cheap, dark horse fusion hits the air waves, GF - TED, LM - Announcement. The race is on.

Return to “News”