Tokamak Energy news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

crowberry
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tokamak Energy news

Postby crowberry » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:52 am

crowberry
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Tokamak Energy news

Postby crowberry » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:30 am

Tokamak Energy has written a leaflet on fusion called Faster Fusion. In it they present their roadmap of fusion reactor development (wisely enough without a schedule):

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:29 am

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:34 pm

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:42 am

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:10 pm

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Bob Hirsch's commentary on ITER.
Posted this in the EMC2 threat, but it probably belongs here.

The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:06 am

The points raised by Bob Hirsch are of course well known and valid, but this time he does a bit of exaggeration. The event at the LHC in 2008 was due to inadequate quality control on the resistivity of the electrical interconnects between the superconducting magnets. From that event one can only conclude that making good electrical contacts is crucial for super conducting magnet systems. Part of the goals of ITER is to study those problems that Hirsch mentions to find new solutions to them.

Spherical tokamaks have the potential to improve the chances of filling the criteria that Hirsch discussed, because the size could be roughly a factor 10 less compared to a ITER like tokamak of similar power output. Whether that will be enough to result in economical reactors remains to be seen. The plasma stability is of course a big topic for current tokamak research. Here again STs might provide better performance compared to traditional tokamaks, but that remains to be seen when the results from NSTX-U and MAST-U and all other STs in use or under construction are available. There is also a lot of work devoted to understanding plasma disruptions and research on ideas to mitigate them.

The smaller size of STs allows also for a more rapid development and research cycle with less funding. Until any of the alternative fusion concepts surpasses the performance levels shown with tokamaks it is a bit early to completely dismiss tokamaks.

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:28 pm

I agree fully. And, the more we add depth to the Plasma Community of Practice's knowledge base the sooner we will find solutions that will take us down the viability path.
Critical to this in my opinion is standing up a Q>1 machine. Right now, the best bet in the knowledge base is ITER. Unfortunate as it is from a time and resource perspective, as well as an "as it stands" viability assessment, it is essentially the best way the Community knows how to achieve Q>1 operations.
Doing so may well allow us to advance our understanding to the point that we can then advance towards a viable Tokamak basis machine, be it toriodal, spherical, or something else. This work may also inform other research constructs and move them along as well.
And, there is the chance that one of the other concept exploration teams will make a significant advance as well.
As much as I don't like it from a resource perspective, I don't think we at this point have a better choice than to not build the stinking thing.
It certainly wouldn't be the first time in science that the best bet was abandoned because new knowledge appeared from elsewhere.
I don't think anyone has significant doubt about whether ITER will work or not, and that is a stark comparison to other efforts.

Thanks for the above as well.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:48 pm

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:08 pm

JT-60 is a non-collision regime experiment. It does not do burning plasma, it is designed to research plasma generation and control. And, I believe it will be a DD machine for testing, not DT after an initial commissioning phase using H.
As I recall, the latest revision of the experimental plan does not light off the machine until 2019/2020. I would have to look to be sure, I want to say that the last revision was from the beginning of this year.

On a side note, I am surprised you are not also talking about DIII-D and JET work.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:39 pm

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:09 am

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:03 pm

ladajo

Postby ladajo » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:02 pm

Return to “News”