Spherical Tokamaks

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Giorgio

Re: Spherical Tokamaks

Postby Giorgio » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:16 pm

More proof (if needed) that private sector works an order of magnitude faster than government.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

paperburn1

Postby paperburn1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:07 am

And cheaper as well, Just happened in my building, after the hurricane we lost the roof. After installing the new roof they were to put in drywall and the question was to drywall the ceiling or leave it bare like the other high bay and just paint it black. cost saving of 10,000 dolors to paint it black. Had to go back to navair for a decision and 8 months later they decided to drywall it, meanwhile they spent 40 thousand dollars in rental for all the scaffolding and staging waiting for a decision on to save ten grand or not. :D
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

crowberry

Postby crowberry » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:33 pm

There is a new initiative on spherical tokamaks in the UK: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/next-step-in-fusion.

Carl White

Postby Carl White » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:39 pm

UK hatches plan to build world's first fusion power plant

Nuclear scientists are designing an ambitious prototype facility that could demonstrate commercial energy production by 2040.

The British government announced a £200-million (US$248-million) investment on 3 October.

So more funding than the £20 million announced earlier for a first year.

Over the next four years, scientists at the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy near Oxford will produce a detailed design for the Spherical Tokamak for Energy Production (STEP)

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586- ... HtqPFLXkRQ

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:08 pm

It seems like companies like TE like this effort. It leaves a lot of room for private 3rd party contributors. I believe that TE would be a good candidate for that. Wasn't there another ST startup in the UK?

Carl White

Postby Carl White » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Wasn't there another ST startup in the UK?

I haven't heard of another one. There's FIrst Light Fusion but they're trying inertial confinement.

Skipjack

Postby Skipjack » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:07 am

Carl White wrote:
Wasn't there another ST startup in the UK?

I haven't heard of another one. There's FIrst Light Fusion but they're trying inertial confinement.

Yeah, I know the FLF guys. Not sure how valid their idea is, but I think it is good that people pursue and invest in other approaches.
And I just remembered the other ST company in the UK: Applied Fusion Systems.
Quite frankly, I am a bit puzzled why AFS is doing their own ST, when the guy behind it could have just as well invested his money in TE, with a higher chance of success:
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2017 ... on-reactor

Return to “News”