EMC2 news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Re: EMC2 news

Post by ladajo »

This also remains a possibility.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

hanelyp wrote:
paperburn1 wrote:the only polywell promotion I have seen as of late
http://freefall.purrsia.com/lastthree.htm
A more permanent link, http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff3200/fc03104.htm
That's no accident. Mark Stanley pumped me for information on it, although I had mentioned it more than once on the comic forum.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Dr Park has given the talk A Compact Fusion Approach Using Magnetic Confinement of Electrons and Electrostatic Acceleration of Ions during the ENN Symposium on Compact Fusion Technologies, April 19-20, 2018, Langfang, China.

The simulation code they are working with is the ECsim: G. Lapenta, D. Gonzelez-Herrero, E. Boella, J. of Plasma Physics, 83, 705830205 (2017),https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022377817000137. Unfortunately the simulations don't show up in the PDF-file of Parks talk.
"Simulation almost ready for e-beam driven potential well and dynamics equilibrium for advanced fuels"
There are some other new details on their concept of a reactor:
"1 st generation Polywell Power Plant will utilize existing HTGR technology (high temperature gas cooled reactor):
~40% efficiency at 725 C Helium cooling
Initial cost breakdown for 500 MWe plant
- $150M for Polywell Fusion Engine
- $400M for secondary loop/generator
- $150M for tritium breeding system
To achieve 7-9 cents per kWh electricity cost"
http://www.ennresearch.com/uploads/PDF/ ... n-Park.pdf

http://www.ennresearch.com/fusionsympos ... dSpeakers/

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Well I guess that cat is out of the bag.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

williatw

Post by williatw »

crowberry wrote:Dr Park has given the talk A Compact Fusion Approach Using Magnetic Confinement of Electrons and Electrostatic Acceleration of Ions during the ENN Symposium on Compact Fusion Technologies, April 19-20, 2018, Langfang, China.
EMC2 is a "US-incorporated, San Diego-based" company but the talk was given in China. Does this not imply if there are to be the required financial backers (to the tune of several 100 millions) the Chinese are on the inside track for being such? If so, any Polywell developed will be under the proprietary interest/control of said Chinese? Comments anyone?

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

ITAR not a problem?/?, they were navy funded and dual use comes to mind. Or are we talking licensed coproduction program.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

My incredulity is taxed to wondering if we don't have agents in our military. I find it astounding that the Navy has not picked this up... or LM. It is beyond stupid.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

choff

Post by choff »

mvanwink5 wrote:My incredulity is taxed to wondering if we don't have agents in our military. I find it astounding that the Navy has not picked this up... or LM. It is beyond stupid.

Probably Black Box Project.
CHoff

williatw

Post by williatw »

choff wrote:Probably Black Box Project.
If it were " Black Box Project" wouldn't think they would be able to give lectures (in China no less) about where they were at. Wouldn't be at all surprised that interest in Polywell on the part of the Navy cooled considerably under the Obama administration. Naval/DOD R&D budget cuts being the root cause and a general lack of interest in such during the previous administration. Perhaps (I hope) the China talks are intended somewhat as a thinly veiled "threat", that if the US isn't interested any longer than maybe China is; maybe that will provoke more interest at home.
Last edited by williatw on Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ltgbrown

Post by ltgbrown »

Well I guess that cat is out of the bag.
What do you mean by "that cat"? Are there other cats to get out of the bag? :wink:
Famous last words, "Hey, watch this!"

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

reducing from 12 cents to 8 cents is 33% reduction; I thought it would be more. Like to 5 cents per kWh, or are a lot of cost due to grid problems?
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Rob,
This is a high number of high energy neutron producing reactor so replacement reactor becomes maintenance. Further, the tritium cycle and radioactivity also ups the cost. This is an entry level cost. I would expect future reactor would shoot for Boron.

It is all talk without money.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

The Fusion Podcast by Dr. Matthew Moynihan has an interview with Dr Jaeyoung Park:
Dr. Jaeyoung Park serves as the head of Energy Matter Conversion Corporation (EMC2) in San Diego California. Dr. Park received a doctorate in Astrophysical Sciences from Princeton University in 1997 and is the author of over 50 peer-reviewed publications. He worked as research scientist and project leader at Los Alamos National Laboratory for 10 year before joining EMC2. Our interview lays out the company’s recent efforts to numerically simulate the Polywell fusion concept using a high performance computing code. The EMC2 team has partnered with KU Leuven in Belgium to utilize ECsim code. The ECsim, developed by KU Leuven, is a well-optimized plasma code that can handle up to a billion or more particles. The code can run over thousands of CPUs and has the unique capability of preserving the total energy of the system. The collaboration helped EMC2 to improve their understanding of Polywell system and to develop approaches and designs for the next generation Polywell devices. This experience showcases a potential transformation in fusion research: where HPC plasma codes offer physicists the ability to conduct extensive tests before building a machine
https://www.thefusionpodcast.com/itunes ... young-park

dnavas

Post by dnavas »

Sounds like another year at least to get information with a well. Drat. Well, I'll go back to holding my breath :)
BTW, the links on ennresearch.com appear to be gone? :(

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Thanks for sharing crowberry.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...