EMC2 news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

choff

Re: EMC2 news

Post by choff »

There's also WB7, I was thinking some lab like maybe Lockheed Martin Skunkworks. Always possibly they've got a little scratch they'd be willing to part with on loan. EMC2 still has the patent, it could be like when Microsoft wrote code for Apple.
CHoff

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

But LockMart has their own fusion program, and from what I can tell, it has things in common with the Polywells, although it is configured differently. So working with a Polywell truncated cube configuration would throw them off track. Besides which, WB7 apparently stubbornly refused to form true wiffleballs. You might make it do so with enough of an injection kick. but once you realize that's what you need, re-using a too-small magrid becomes a minor factor.

Dr. Park does not seem to view efforts such as Tri-Alpha an LockMart as competition. To the contrary, he sees them as job security for fusion physicists ... he figures the odds are good that one of the current efforts will succeed, and whoever is working for the rest will have jobs taking the winner commercial. The success of WB-Mini changed his appraisal of who has the best approach, but I suspect if you asked him point-blank today, he'e not say that any of these "competitors" are "wrong", although he might tell you why he thinks the Polywell has the best chance. This is a very different mindset from the jealous budget-guarding of the older big-budget fusion efforts.

choff

Post by choff »

I think I saw one publication that said the spindle cusp configuration of Lockheed's machine would produce 1/100th the output of the polywell cube configuration.
CHoff

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Remember that fundamentally you need two pieces for this puzzle.
Confinement.
Heating.
As I know, no-one has figured out understanding of implementation of convex confinement except EMC2.
ITER functions on concave confinement, which in turn introduces plasma stability drama which can be resolved(ish) through Bigness. Bigness in ITER also solves some other issues, while in turn creating some others (potential showstoppers).

Heating would now seem to be the issue of the day. Although, it is fair to say that until you have a fully dynamic machine that is attempting confinement and heating at the same time, you can't say confinement is solved. The plasma dynamics are too complex an interrelated system.
While it is simple to say that we are talking basic electro-magnetic force (current/conductor/field/motion) here, the fact is that everything in play is creating and being impacted by this. Every.single.thing.cuts.both.ways.
Sometimes this helps, sometimes it doesn't.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

If EMC2 were to seek crowd funding, what would be the best platform to do this?
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

How much are you trying to get?
For full fundinge we would need to rally the resource of every polywell dude/ dudette a;ll at once.
We would require a official no nonsense demo page. and support structure.
And we would need every email address of everyone on every forum to spam them for funds.
per example Kickstarter
The largest kickstarter was pebble time at 20 million but that was an anomaly.
A best of the best scenario would be about 6 to ten million.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

What is the status of the simulation, is that what lost funding - was funding lost, or was it that EMC2 was being hosed?
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

I have no idea of what would be currently the best crowdfunding platform as there are quite a few of them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... g_services. LPP Fusion has tried crowdfunding in 2014 and currently they have a campaign running. In 2014 they were able to raise $182,649 https://lppfusion.com/indiegogo-campaign-has-ended/. In the currently running campaign they have been able to collect as of now $505,250 https://wefunder.com/lppfusion. It seems that raising several millions for fusion through crowdfunding would be rather hard.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Let us say in the $250K to $500k range to start.
I am not sure of the crowd funding mechanics regarding larger seekings (re. shares or equity concerns) in the millions. However, do any of you think that $5 million is achievable, and what would that mean to the company regarding the relationship with the funders? I mean, this is not a stock offering in my mind.

As an incentive, it could be that certain levels of funders can vote to the disposition of WB-8, donation to a preferred museum of some sort.

RERT

Post by RERT »

I think the LPP offering is for the purchase of non-voting shares, a useful trick I think.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

As a beekeeper, I'm very aware of a goofy invention called the Flow Hive, that got something like $13M on Indiegogo. Their target had been a couple of hundred thousand.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Selling trading cards, at level
buttons/ patches for level two
tee shirts for level three
special access to something at level four
meet and greet or see the beast machine in the back room at level five
Anyway you get the idea. all of these reward could be purchased as cheap Chineseium and distributed based on the amount of donation.
Your reward for donations so you don't have any claim of the device "legal mumbo jumbo yada yada yada"
If you tied into the Firefly community It might go big.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Give a couple days/weeks for lurkers to shake their own trees, too.
If anyone knows Winchell Chung well enough to know their email won't go to junk folder or something, maybe ask him for some guidance too.
-----
paperburn1 wrote:How much are you trying to get?
For full fundinge we would need to rally the resource of every polywell dude/ dudette a;ll at once.
We would require a official no nonsense demo page. and support structure.
And we would need every email address of everyone on every forum to spam them for funds.
per example Kickstarter
The largest kickstarter was pebble time at 20 million but that was an anomaly.
A best of the best scenario would be about 6 to ten million.
Not arguing how much of a statistical oddity, but video game Star Citizen is something like 150 million and still going.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I am giving the lurkers some space...
Thanks for thoughts so far.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

I have sent Winchell Chung an email, asking about his potential interest in this idea.
I suggest we use ladajo as our center point of contact (with his permission of course) until we decide on feasibility and action.