EMC2 news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Re: EMC2 news

Post by ladajo »

To be more clear, WB-8 has performed its functions for EMC2, and they don't need it anymore. They have learned what they needed to learn from that work. Thus, they are willing to part ways, and believe it should end up in a museum. As a means to support that, and provide a source of funding for some desired external support work, they are thinking to run a crowd funding. I am looking into this in regard to crowd-funding platform options, and thought you guys may have some ideas, given what has been discussed here before. In addition, the idea is to keep it uncomplicated (ie. no position or equity offerings in the company). That said, there is a willingness to consider offering 'bling' outside of the WB-8 disposition voting rights.
So... let's see if we can come up with some viable options, and generate some interest, and if a crowd fund is launched, make it viral as best we can, and generate some interest in supporting it.

As for public exposure on where the research effort is it, that is going to be forthcoming soon. I think you all will be happy.
The short of the long of it;
Is it certain? No.
Is there a clear path forward? Yes.
Is the 'final' answer on viability coming within the next few years? Yes.
Is what is required finally understood? Yes.
Can it be done? That answer will be provided from the next step.
Are you going to tell us what the next step is? Yes, or Jaeyoung will via other means, soon.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Ladajo, this forum needs a like button. I would give a thumbs up to many of your posts lately!

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I reckon low hundred thousand is very doable if we find the right niche/viral target. WB-8 is an awesome piece of history/science/design.
Skipjack wrote:Ladajo, this forum needs a like button. I would give a thumbs up to many of your posts lately!
Putting the Polywell back in TP.org
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Seems like some sun rays are finally starting to find their way through the fog of these last years.
Eager to see what Jaeyoung will propose, great info Ladajo, thanks!
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

dnavas

Post by dnavas »

ladajo wrote: The short of the long of it;
Is it certain? No.
"we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
:sigh:

I suppose it looks like movement internally, but from the outside, I feel like I've heard that simplification before....
Nevertheless, I applaud you making it out before Heavy launch, and I hope to see 'final' viability before, say, BFR :>
[seriously, good luck and god speed]

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The intent is to have the public answer on the final requirement in 2 to 3 years. This is a realistic projection based on considerations for how this answer will be generated, which is not really the way conventional plasma research is being done. There was kind of a process epiphany which occured, that will become clear soon.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

So what are the thoughts on crowd funding and how to proceed?
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I will let you know soon.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

I tried to ring up a few people and friends who seemed to fit, social media and at a few labs in the US and Canada. Wouldn't be surprised if none thought they could help but at least I tried. Hoping for the best.
You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Thanks! I hope others have started to do the same. I will have some more news here soon (a week?) in this regard.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Are we sure that EMC2 is even interested in crowd funding?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

The idea is to send unneeded hardware (WB-8 & Chamber) on its way to posterity, and at the same time to fund some needed external support. However, to be clear, this is exploratory and pending.

I will let you all know what the decision on this is soon.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

ladajo wrote:The idea is to send unneeded hardware (WB-8 & Chamber) on its way to posterity, and at the same time to fund some needed external support. However, to be clear, this is exploratory and pending.

I will let you all know what the decision on this is soon.

What about handing the hardware over to other scientists to allow them to confirm the findings and/or explore the concept further with additional experiments that might not have been contemplated during their original testing of the concept?

I'm sure there are other people who would love a chance to experiment with this design.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Diogenes wrote: What about handing the hardware over to other scientists to allow them to confirm the findings and/or explore the concept further with additional experiments that might not have been contemplated during their original testing of the concept?

I'm sure there are other people who would love a chance to experiment with this design.
The question is, would you want the confirming studies to be done using the equipment that did not work as hoped?

While they've gotten some fusion from WB-4 onward, the only machine believed to have hit high beta is WB-mini, which was small enough and economical enough to be built by other labs without an exceptional investment. Park does not believe the earlier machines, despite their ability to make spectacular plasma balls, actually got into the wiffle ball mode, so they are poor candidates for replication studies.

'Tho I still contend that PXL-1, while not a good candidate for making fusion, did something fascinating to me one day, and I'd love to get a chance to replicate that test to see what in the world it was. I think it tried to make a wiffleball. It definitely stored a rather remarkable amount of energy. Might not be good for fusion, but I think it created a "flux capacitor."

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Tom Ligon wrote:
Diogenes wrote: What about handing the hardware over to other scientists to allow them to confirm the findings and/or explore the concept further with additional experiments that might not have been contemplated during their original testing of the concept?

The question is, would you want the confirming studies to be done using the equipment that did not work as hoped?
For me, the desire woul be to correct the errors made with the WB8 and run the experiment correctly.