EMC2 news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

JohnP

Re: EMC2 news

Post by JohnP »

paperburn1 wrote:podcast Jay young park
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppgdT3SQMhI
Very cool, thanks for posting!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

WB-8 & Chamber are looking for a good museum home. Anyone have any thoughts on where and how to make this happen. The unit is currently in San Diego. Would also be helpful if some funds could be raised, potentially in a matching scheme to defray move costs.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

choff

Post by choff »

Push it as industrial art. Now, if you could get some picks of WB8 with some hot models like with the NASCAR calendars you could sell it to every physics lab in America. That is, until the PC police crack down and claim it proves fusion power is sexist.
CHoff

alexjrgreen

Post by alexjrgreen »

ladajo wrote:WB-8 & Chamber are looking for a good museum home. Anyone have any thoughts on where and how to make this happen.
How about the Smithsonian?
Ars artis est celare artem.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

How? Ideally, the transfer is helped by cost reduction. There are some great Science Museums, however getting things there from San Diego may incur some cost. WB-8 and Chamber are not small nor lacking weight.
I like the Smithsonian, however, it could be unlikely that it gets on display any time soon.

This is a serious post BTW. WB-8 really is up for grabs. There is no current science need for it, and the thought is that it would make a nice science museum piece. It is meant to be a gift, not a sale.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

choff

Post by choff »

I'm a collector of Heavy Metal mag since it's N.American first print in 1977, so I sent them a message. Maybe with a little luck they get back and have a few contacts. In the short term, maybe check if a Comic Con would want it as a display. Thousands of people, lots of exposure.
CHoff

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Thanks Choff!
Anyone else have some thoughts here. I know we talked about something similar before. Come on Guys & Gals!

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

California Science Center
Its close and they have stuff like that.

My old CO is deputy director for the National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center . I could reach out to him but Its my understanding they are already space limited.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Udvar Hazy would be cool if it can be worked out. Do you mind giving it a shot?

CSC is an option also.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

ladajo wrote:Udvar Hazy would be cool if it can be worked out. Do you mind giving it a shot?

CSC is an option also.
No harm in asking, and even if a no, Joe might know a proper place with funds to take it.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

I'll give you $5 for it. Surely it will fit in a u-haul?

In all seriousness, this is crowd funding worthy.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

If crowdfunded, it would not be to make money. The focus would be to defray the costs of moving it to a good home. It is pretty big and heavy. A lot of steel there.

I know some may have some thoughts of putting it back in use, or even the chamber. However, the intent is to keep it together as a sample representation of the pursuit of fusion. Also, to be fair, the costs of adapting it to a new experimental regime would probably be more that just building ground up.

Any other ideas, or any feedback from those checking things out?

natebrau

Post by natebrau »

The Fleet Science Museum in San Diego would be a good candidate. They are interested in donations.

https://www.rhfleet.org/

t_c

Post by t_c »

Some rough dimensions and a photo would probably help a lot.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

There is a photo of the lab floating around. You can see the chamber in that. It is pretty big. It, as I recall, is roughly a 1.5m cube. That does not include the foundation support. I would need to check. Been a while since I stood next to it. It is currently in storage in San Diego.

Edit: corrected size estimate.
Last edited by ladajo on Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.