Princeton Plasma Physics FRC

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

sd_matt

Princeton Plasma Physics FRC

Post by sd_matt »

Skipjack

Re: Princeton Plasma Physics FRC

Post by Skipjack »

They have been around for quite a while and I am glad to see that they got some funding from NASA. Their project is interesting, though I think that MSNWs Fusion Driven Rocket has more potential due to the higher thrust to system weight ratio. This one will have relatively little thrust (but high Isp), which is why they are proposing missions to the outer planets, rather than Mars.
I think that their device is more interesting as a reactor than a propulsion system, but I guess that it was easier for them to fund it that way. It will be great if it works. I am a bit skeptical of the design, but I am no expert.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

How much funding has NASA given them? Is there any chance this will progress beyond Phase I? It seems like so many of these studies end up in the dust bin.
In this Phase I study, we propose to analyze the Pluto mission concept using new models of the engine. We will develop an optimal trajectory including limits on the thrust steering and range of throttle. The throttling of the thrust and specific impulse will affect the efficiency, which we have not yet attempted to model.
It's not even about developing the engine itself, but about trying to provide a justification for it.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Carl White wrote:How much funding has NASA given them? Is there any chance this will progress beyond Phase I? It seems like so many of these studies end up in the dust bin.
In this Phase I study, we propose to analyze the Pluto mission concept using new models of the engine. We will develop an optimal trajectory including limits on the thrust steering and range of throttle. The throttling of the thrust and specific impulse will affect the efficiency, which we have not yet attempted to model.
It's not even about developing the engine itself, but about trying to provide a justification for it.
Well, they already have an experimental reactor at their lab (and I think they are looking for funds to build the next bigger one). Phase I is 100,000 Phase II is 500,000. So if they can get Phase II, they will have 600k total towards their next goal. It may not sound much, but I am sure it helps. The publicity this gets them surely also does not hurt, when they are looking for more funding.